Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
On the subject of our ruckmen, I couldn't find a thread for our most recent ruck acquisition, being Mate Colina. He is of course a category B rookie and is 213 cm tall. I was so looking forward to seeing him play in the VFL this year but sadly he was not sighted the whole year. Our VFL team played in 10 games this year but he did not appear in any of them, to my knowledge. He apparently had his first training run at the club on 19/5/2021. As it stands at present, our only genuine ruckmen backups to Nankervis and Soldo are Samson Ryan (1 senior game) and Mate Colina (2 senior games). On 18/6/2021 there was an announcement on the RFC website that Colina would be playing his first VFL game on 20/6/2021 against Williamstown. They put out the team lineup and he was named in the team. The game was televised live. I was looking forward to seeing him play in that game but at the start of the TV coverage, when the RFC team was put up on the screen, there was no mention of him. The commentators did not comment on why he was not in the team or whether he was a late withdrawal. To my knowledge, there has been no mention by the RFC of Colina since 20/6/2021 and he has never appeared on the club injury list. The VFL team played a few more games after 20/6/2021. Does anyone know just what happened to Colina this year that he did not make any appearance on the field and the club went silent on him?. I don't know if he was still training at the club.
He did some training this year including playing in one intra-club where he kicked 6 in a half. Balmy is a big wrap for him.

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Yep. They are a very effective duo. Soldo tires them out and Nank knocks them down. Anyone would hate to ruck for ten minutes against Soldo, only to watch Nank come off the bench to take his place.
This is exactly what was happening. Ivan Soldo is a big strong man and having to wrestle with him takes it's toll. Very rarely does a ruck get a clear tap against Soldo. This allows Nank to either rest up for a ruck assault, or he can drop back into the hole or drop forward to create a mis-match.

*smile* Shove-kins

Reactions: 3 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Looking forward to Evarn and Noah playing against the Cats....... Balta goes hard at the contest as Soldo drops in the hole and the *smile* caught in between comes off third best.... now, let me think, who do we hope that is?
One day the karma bus will hit!
Hold that thought.
And just think that when it happens one S Hocking will see the event first hand rather than pulling the strings in AFL House!

Reactions: 1 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Balme today said about Soldo, something like - well he's [Soldo], umm, [short pause] not [short pause] our first choice ruck - he and Nank are. Or to that effect.

And it was Balme who said recently that Soldo is training the house down or somesuch.

Balme is a fan, it seems.

We know the situation with Soldo's knee. And we chose him over CJ.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Balme today said about Soldo, something like - well he's [Soldo], umm, [short pause] not [short pause] our first choice ruck - he and Nank are. Or to that effect.

And it was Balme who said recently that Soldo is training the house down or somesuch.

Balme is a fan, it seems.

Soldo is contracted and CJ is not. CJ wanted to leave and we said we wanted him to stay, he left. CJ has also shown more as a forward than a ruck at senior level, so they are not the same type of players. I'm happy with Nank/Soldo/Sampson as the ruck division, the worry is a big power forward to replace Jack, and CJ maybe could have filled that role. Soldo can't.

Truth is we wanted to keep CJ but North needed him more. That's no slight on Soldo but it wasn't a choice between one or the other, that's simply a rewrite of history.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Soldo is contracted and CJ is not. CJ wanted to leave and we said we wanted him to stay, he left. CJ has also shown more as a forward than a ruck at senior level, so they are not the same type of players. I'm happy with Nank/Soldo/Sampson as the ruck division, the worry is a big power forward to replace Jack, and CJ maybe could have filled that role. Soldo can't.

Truth is we wanted to keep CJ but North needed him more. That's no slight on Soldo but it wasn't a choice between one or the other, that's simply a rewrite of history.

I'm just posting about Balme's comment, Angers. About Soldo. I've listened closely. At no stage did Balme say or hint that Coleman Jones is in the mix for Richmond's #1 ruck berth. El regardless of contract status.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm just posting about Balme's comment, Angers. About Soldo. I've listened closely. At no stage did Balme say or hint that Coleman Jones is in the mix for Richmond's #1 ruck berth. El regardless of contract status.

Strange post as I clearly said CJ was more of a forward than a ruck . CJ's gone to North now so unsurprising that today Balme doesn't see him as "in the mix for Richmond's # ruck berth".

Here's what you wrote, I can remember two posts back at least. We didn't choose Soldo over CJ, that's a rewrite of history.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Strange post as I clearly said CJ was more of a forward than a ruck . CJ's gone to North now so unsurprising that today Balme doesn't see him as "in the mix for Richmond's # ruck berth".

Here's what you wrote, I can remember two posts back at least. We didn't choose Soldo over CJ, that's a rewrite of history.

you aren't fit to carry Jack's kit bag into PRE, so quit policing other folks' posts yeah?

meanwhile, the rest of us know what Jack meant - our club values Soldo more than CCJ and for good reason.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004

Strange use of the word "strange", Angers.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Strange use of the word "strange", Angers.

Sure, if you like. Point is Balmey didn't mention a guy who has left the club as being part of our plans, unsurprising to me at least.

For the record I don't think we'll miss CJ that much and I'm a fan of Soldo. No need to rewrite history to make ourselves feel good about it though.