Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
If he really wants to go for more opportunities then go with our blessings. But it’s going to cost a pick in the mid/late teens or straight swap Saad

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Needs to get as fit as he possibly can with as big a tank as possible. To me, he's always been a ball winning rover and I want to see how that pans out in 2021.

Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I would like to be able to post about our premiership winning midfield led by the likes of Bolton, Graham, RCD, Ross, Baker AND Higgins in 2027.

Enough said

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
So now he has officially requested a trade to the Saints , I hope we hold real tight on this one , this is definitely one where the club has given more to Jack then Jack has been able to return to the club , not Jacks fault in any way for obvious reasons.
I wish him all the best , however I don’t like these type of requests to leave the best club in the planet , especially after getting a contract when other clubs wouldn’t have stuck by .

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
I think this is different to the Markov situation. Jack has only given three years of service and is coming off a major injury. I think the club should either hold him or make the Saints pay fair price.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
So now he has officially requested a trade to the Saints , I hope we hold real tight on this one , this is definitely one where the club has given more to Jack then Jack has been able to return to the club , not Jacks fault in any way for obvious reasons.
I wish him all the best , however I don’t like these type of requests to leave the best club in the planet , especially after getting a contract when other clubs wouldn’t have stuck by .

*smile*.

I don't know how the club should handle this one.

Im sure jack is being pragmatic in that he wants to play senior footy, in the guts, 20 times a year.

and Id say he has decent advice that he'll be around 25 before this opportunity arises at Tigerland?

Bolton and Graham are clearly ahead of him, and sheds, dusty and dion have 5 years in them.

He'll saunter into the guts round 1 at the saints and provide very good service.

I hope he stays, but wont be devastated, and certainly wont hold it against him if he goes.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Not in a rush to offload Higgins just because he's had a good offer. There isn't much point to contracts if we let him walk for unders.

McIntosh, Short, Soldo and Balta sucked it up before him and came back better to claim their medals. Higgins can too.

Reactions: 16 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Gen Snowflake. Can't understand the concept of biding your time and earning your right to play in the Seniors.

Also wonder who is giving him advice. More chance of being a Premiership player at RFC than the Saints, much more of a chance. At 21 does he really want to give that chance up so early?

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not in a rush to offload Higgins just because he's had a good offer. There isn't much point to contracts if we let him walk for unders.

McIntosh, Short, Soldo and Balta sucked it up before him and came back better to claim their medals. Higgins can too.

Correct, we need to make sure we get full value for them, and that means we need a 1st rounder, even if we have to give something back.

Reactions: 2 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
As I said in the Trade whispers thread, in the same year as Higgo was drafted at 17, Geelong drafted Lachlan Fogarty with their first selection, 22 in the 2017 draft.
Now Geelong are dealing with Carlton to trade Fogarty.

Lets see how well the Cats do vs us with Higgo.

We should get more value, not only is Higgo a better player with more proven ability, he was a higher pick (slightly), and rated higher. And he is contracted.

My money is on the Cats to get better value.

• Wow

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Wonder if there is something else to this one.
Odd that he wants out of the best run club after only 3 years.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
What are peoples thoughts on the below. Personally think its a win-win-win.

Richmond - In Pick 14, Saints 2021 2nd, Dogs 2021 2nd
Out - Higgins, Pick 21 and Pick 35

Saints - In Higgins
Out - Lonie and Saints 2021 2nd

Bulldogs - In Picks 21, 35 and Lonie
Out - Pick 14 and Dogs 2021 2nd

Gives Richmond pretty fair value for Jack, moves the rest of our picks to next year in a strong draft
Gives the Saints Higgins for a good price without giving up a 1st
Gives the Dogs more points for a JUH bid (I think upto a bid at Pick 2) essentially for a 2nd rounder, and it also strengthens there hand against Essendon in trying to keep Dunkley.

Thoughts? The Saints seem like they are reluctant to give up a 1st so got to look outside the box to clubs that want to trade their 1sts. The Pies 2021 1st could also be an option to bring them into a 3 team trade with Higgins involved.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
gotta be their first round pick with a pick to return. the saints need to make this happen as higgins has requested the trade.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Just read this from Paul Connors.

"He just wants to play footy and he'd love an opportunity at the Saints," Connors said

Geez, he makes it out like Higgo hasn't been given any opportunities to play footy. He played 10 games out of 21 in a season when he had an interrupted pre-season following his brain surgery.

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
We need to extract very good value if we are to trade Higgins. He is contracted so we hold the whip hand; we must not accept unders. The Saints will try and Butler us.

We can not be in the situation where we are strengthening an improving team that will be contending in the next few years; unless we get a great deal out of it. If the deal is not up to his worth he can stay and fight for his place in the best team in the AFL.

Reactions: 5 users