Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

It would be sad to see Jack go to another club but he is probably being a realist and understands that it would be difficult for him to be a regular senior player given that he would have significant competition for a spot in the team. The club is fortunate of course to have some very good young prospects, all of whom would no doubt would want to get a regular senior game just as much as Jack does. Jack's role in the senior team hadn't been clearly defined, it seemed to be a combination of forward, wing and midfield. He would be competing for a spot against Caddy, Ross, Collier-Dawkins, Dow, Aarts, Martyn, Naish and Ralphsmith and maybe a couple of others. The club apparently has big raps on Collier-Dawkins, Martyn and Ralphsmith, even though each of them is yet to play a senior game. It appears that Higgins is effectively a victim of good recruiting by the club over the last several years.

Reactions: 1 user
No malice from me. If he goes good luck to him. If he stays then great.

But Personally, and I don’t want to sound like this potting him, I think if he went to st Kilda I feel his career there will be relatively short and unfulfilled. I’ve said this before but clubs tend to flock to the players that can’t make the best teams 22. Hence we’ve seen Towner, Miles, CEllis, Butler go elsewhere. In previous generations we saw Hawthorns and West Coast and Carlton’s second tier players try their luck elsewhere. Not many went on to great careers.

Being the nice guy brings you good karma which gives you premierships
Understand H but we don’t have too 100% .
It’s not as if we are shopping him around.
We put our arms around him after his injury’ and we have told him he is a ‘required player’. That’s good karma’ in my eyes.

He wants to leave now.
Wants to go to the Saints and they want him for ‘minimum chips’. Unfortunately Jack you are contracted if the ‘club’ you want to play for and ‘value’ you don’t want to trade a ‘fair deal’, then.....

I’m just a little sad about this Higgins stuff to be frank.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just read this from Paul Connors.

"He just wants to play footy and he'd love an opportunity at the Saints," Connors said

Geez, he makes it out like Higgo hasn't been given any opportunities to play footy. He played 10 games out of 21 in a season when he had an interrupted pre-season following his brain surgery.
Then injured his calf during the season.

Send him to the Bulldogs since his partner likes them so much.

What did he expect coming back from huge surgeries , to play every game ? I thought he did well to play the games & in the manor he did.

Think the Saints starting to get a bit cocky picking everyone else's & can't develop their own, pay up Saints.

Saints first round pick in 2021 is better than their first in 2020 regardless of where they finish in 2021.

This draft is too compromised with academy selections, father/sons and no exposed form from alot of draft prospects due to covid. Load up on picks for next year.

Why do I feel we will somewhat roll over despite holding all the cards on a contracted player?

"He just wants to play footy and he'd love an opportunity at the Saints," Connors said

Geez, he makes it out like Higgo hasn't been given any opportunities to play footy. He played 10 games out of 21 in a season when he had an interrupted pre-season following his brain surgery.
This makes me wonder if something is up.
We looked after him and gave him first crack at it this year.

• Sad
Saints offering future 2nd rounder..........thanks but No
Will have to stump up a first rounder. He’s contracted, he was a first round pick who now has 3 years development.

I think the sales spin isn’t it?

Im not overly fussed about whether we keep him or not to be honest. If he doesnt want to fight to earn his spot with us then he probably isnt the right type of player that we should want at our club. I think we have given him plenty of opportunities given the setbacks he has had so I think the easy option is being taken here by him and his management.

Contracted player though so that should give us all the power at the negotiation table.

Exactly. Whenever Higgins has been fit and in somewhat decent form he's played. Typical manager nonsense from Connors.

Reactions: 1 users
This makes me wonder if something is up.
We looked after him and gave him first crack at it this year.
Apparently went for the Saints growing up, the wants an opportunity could be just a throw away line to mask the fact the team he supported wants him.

Limited ceiling, not in our best 22 and others coming through that can provide depth.
Anything in the 20-35 range would be ok by me.

Understandable by Higgins. He also has to contend with Ross, Dow and possibly RCD going past him in the midfield pecking order. Probably comes in as No 3 inside mid at Saints. An area where Saints are woefully weak.

Although injured for a fair bit of the year I think the coaches are pretty happy with Will Martyn too?

Reactions: 3 users
The ‘more opportunity’ thing is very annoying. He’s played around 2/3 of our games since being drafted, despite serious health issues last year. There’s no real comparison to other players that are seeking opportunities, such as Fogarty at Geelong, who’s played 17 games in three years. I hope we hold firm on this.

Reactions: 4 users
I still like this as the deal. Make it work Blair.

Richmond - In Pick 14, Saints 2021 2nd, Dogs 2021 2nd
Out - Higgins, Pick 21 and Pick 35

Saints - In Higgins
Out - Lonie and Saints 2021 2nd

Bulldogs - In Picks 21, 35 and Lonie
Out - Pick 14 and Dogs 2021 2nd