Bye Bye Jack Higgins! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Bye Bye Jack Higgins!

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Just read this from Paul Connors.

"He just wants to play footy and he'd love an opportunity at the Saints," Connors said

Geez, he makes it out like Higgo hasn't been given any opportunities to play footy. He played 10 games out of 21 in a season when he had an interrupted pre-season following his brain surgery.
Yeah that's a load of crap from his manager. I suppose it is what you'd expect him to say but it's still a load of crap.

Reactions: 2 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Understandable by Higgins. He also has to contend with Ross, Dow and possibly RCD going past him in the midfield pecking order. Probably comes in as No 3 inside mid at Saints. An area where Saints are woefully weak.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
We need to extract very good value if we are to trade Higgins. He is contracted so we hold the whip hand; we must not accept unders. The Saints will try and Butler us.

We can not be in the situation where we are strengthening an improving team that will be contending in the next few years; unless we get a great deal out of it. If the deal is not up to his worth he can stay and fight for his place in the best team in the AFL.
Exactly. Not only do you not just give up a 1st round pick for unders, and a good player at that. But you are strengthening a potential rival.

Lethlean and Grubby Allen doing an exceptional job at the Saints. And I dislike both. My opinion is that both are highly untrustworthy. Their work history is interesting to say the least.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
So now he has officially requested a trade to the Saints , I hope we hold real tight on this one , this is definitely one where the club has given more to Jack then Jack has been able to return to the club , not Jacks fault in any way for obvious reasons.
I wish him all the best , however I don’t like these type of requests to leave the best club in the planet , especially after getting a contract when other clubs wouldn’t have stuck by .
Sad to hear that after the club had told him he's a required player.
Probably best that, if really wants to go, he goes but we need to make sure we get a reasonable deal.

Reactions: 1 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Just read this from Paul Connors.

"He just wants to play footy and he'd love an opportunity at the Saints," Connors said

Geez, he makes it out like Higgo hasn't been given any opportunities to play footy. He played 10 games out of 21 in a season when he had an interrupted pre-season following his brain surgery.
Almost like he doesn't think he can cut it at the Tiges?

• Sad

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'd be happy for us to shop him around to other clubs in Melbourne, not to *smile* him off, but this gives us power over the Saints. If we ask the Hawks what they'd give for him, I'd hasten a guess they'd throw Pick 24 or their 2021 2nd very easily. Far higher value than the Saints 2nd next year. North I'm sure would offer us their 2nd next year.

He's contracted, so we are in control here and we should offer these options upto Jack. Saints not valuing you high enough, these are your options. Saints if they want him badly will increase their offer. If they don't, we say to Jack we are rejecting the Saints, take your pick over the Tiges, Hawks or North.

Players have too much power to choose their destination.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
My baseless theory is he struggled to fit into the hub environment and felt on the outer. He has a unique personality that would be hard work 24/7.

Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
We hold the cards simple as that.Saints have to please us they want him for peanuts there dreaming future second rd.There first round has to be involved and maybe swap of picks as someone said they don't want to offer a decent player either means nothing he chooses them.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Correct, we need to make sure we get full value for them, and that means we need a 1st rounder, even if we have to give something back.
He may request a trade but doesn’t mean we have to trade if the deal isn’t right for us.
He has to understand that and I hope his manager Connors has advised him of that ‘fact’.
His contracted.

Why do we have to be the ‘nice guy’ all the time?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
He may request a trade but doesn’t mean we have to trade if the deal isn’t right for us.
He has to understand that and I hope his manager Connors has advised him of that ‘fact’.
His contracted.

Why do we have to be the ‘nice guy’ all the time?
Being the nice guy brings you good karma which gives you premierships

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Wonder if there is something else to this one.
Odd that he wants out of the best run club after only 3 years.
he did barrack for the saints growing up , remember him saying that somewhere when he first arrived ,

that might be part of it, he is still a boy in a lot of ways

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'm thinking we will need to get a 3rd club involved (or more likely the Saints will) as the Saints don't want to give up their 1st this year as they want to take a 1st into the draft to give them flexibility to have a crack at Ben King next year. If they don't use a 1st this year, I don't think they can trade their 1st next year. Isn't the rule 2 1sts every 4 years?

An upgrade of 1st rounders this year and a 2nd still probably undervalues him, hence why we might need someone else involved and thats where I see the Dogs Pick 14.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
We hold some of the cards this time, because Higgo has a contract. He’ll probably get there, but they’ll have to give up something decent for it.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Well we do seem to be incredibly accommodating with trades i.e. always paying overs and receiving unders. With a contracted player I say get fair value i.e. decent first round pick ...or say suck it up and play out your contract Jack.

If we are going to have soft values, we must also make the hard decisions when required.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
And we've got the upper hand in this with him being contracted.
We can just say no thanks he's contracted.
Downside of that is that 12 months down the track he walks.
Unless he nails down a spot a la Bakes, KMac or Shai.
Aints would have to satisfy us not the other way around.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Requesting a trade after the Club did the right thing by him after his operation stinks a bit.
He doesn't want to be here. Get rid of him as long as the trade is a good one.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Requesting a trade after the Club did the right thing by him after his operation stinks a bit.
He doesn't want to be here. Get rid of him as long as the trade is a good one.
Is it him or Mrs Higgins that don't want to be there anymore?

• Sad