Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Jack said himself weeks ago, young guys a resigning, I have wait and see what's left

There is absolutely no way, no way, we would offer Jack, who is a champion - right up there as one of our best ever - just $300k.

Blair runs our talent dept better than that. And has demonstrated over the last few years he is far more respectful than that.
Let's not forget Jack publicly took pay cuts to accommodate Tommy as well.

Jack has joked around (some serious, some humble) on 360 and Dimma has chucked in the comment re: he keeps walking past the list manager's door.
Some brevity. Some painful truths.

But whilst the media sit there and take pot shots all year long (arent they loving it right now), this Club's List and Talent Dept - and its culture - is run as good as it gets these days.

Whether he plays on is prob more so a decision between a) his external career opportunities (and he'd have plenty), b) his knowledge of who we have to play that role and their need for opportunities in the firsts and c) whether he can help on/off the field as he plays a diminished role.

Anyone who thinks we are treating him shabbily 'by letting him wait' and also offering $300k has not been watching and learning from how we have treated our players (incl those that have pissed off elsewhere like CJ, Mabs, Ellis, Markov, Higgins, Butler), since Blair and Balmy have been in charge. Never a disrespectful action or bad word.

It takes time to sign contracts. Blair has been working through them all diligently - Remember the Rioli deal would not have been easy, then he has got Taranto over the line it seems based on media reports - a massive achievement given we were up against the Pies and G.Wright.

Plus, he's respectfully waiting on Cotch and most of all, the Club is trying to work out what the hell Dusty wants.

Jack is not being treated shabbily. Nor will he be lowballed on $300k (which is $150k in his pocket). There is simply a shitload to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Reported where?
Blobbo in HS today - actually it’s written as “about 300”

I reckon that’s fair to both parties - though maybe something that ended up getting to 350 could also be OK
But Jack shouldn’t need nor deserve more than that as clearly he’s on a transition towards full-time media career.

Hope he takes it and plays well

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021

I reckon that’s fair to both parties - though maybe something that ended up getting to 350 could also be OK
But Jack shouldn’t need nor deserve more than that as clearly he’s on a transition towards full-time media career.

Robbo thought 300 hot dogs

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
$300K is probably a bit low. I'd have thought $350-$400K. That said he has been a great servant of the club across 16 seasons and no doubt remunerated accordingly. He's not scratching for a buck and would be on a nice wicket with his media contracts. He is a great media performer and will have a very nice post footy career in the media if that is what he wants.

We need to look to the future and keep regenerating our list. Taranto is the start and to attract very good players you need to offer great contracts; usually over market value. This means players like Jack and Chimp will probably need to take slightly unders if they keep playing. I hope Jack keeps playing and gets a fair deal. Regardless, he won't be sleeping on the street with $300K per year.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerWinner

Tiger Rookie
Apr 21, 2022
He plays for $300-400
He Retires
He Goes to Gold Coast for a year on $500k
If I was him I would retire. he has nothing to prove.

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

Having listened to Jack on 360 a few weeks ago, I reckon he knew exactly what was on offer and in the context of his previous wage was getting his head around being on the lower tier.

Like you, I hope he stays and helps drive us to another flag.

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
There is absolutely no way, no way, we would offer Jack, who is a champion - right up there as one of our best ever - just $300k.

Blair runs our talent dept better than that. And has demonstrated over the last few years he is far more respectful than that.
Let's not forget Jack publicly took pay cuts to accommodate Tommy as well.

Jack has joked around (some serious, some humble) on 360 and Dimma has chucked in the comment re: he keeps walking past the list manager's door.
Some brevity. Some painful truths.

But whilst the media sit there and take pot shots all year long (arent they loving it right now), this Club's List and Talent Dept - and its culture - is run as good as it gets these days.

Whether he plays on is prob more so a decision between a) his external career opportunities (and he'd have plenty), b) his knowledge of who we have to play that role and their need for opportunities in the firsts and c) whether he can help on/off the field as he plays a diminished role.

Anyone who thinks we are treating him shabbily 'by letting him wait' and also offering $300k has not been watching and learning from how we have treated our players (incl those that have pissed off elsewhere like CJ, Mabs, Ellis, Markov, Higgins, Butler), since Blair and Balmy have been in charge. Never a disrespectful action or bad word.

It takes time to sign contracts. Blair has been working through them all diligently - Remember the Rioli deal would not have been easy, then he has got Taranto over the line it seems based on media reports - a massive achievement given we were up against the Pies and G.Wright.

Plus, he's respectfully waiting on Cotch and most of all, the Club is trying to work out what the hell Dusty wants.

Jack is not being treated shabbily. Nor will he be lowballed on $300k (which is $150k in his pocket). There is simply a shitload to do.
I have no issue with any of it. My point is he knew it wouldn't be much and he knew it would be his choice. Let the media take pot shots....who gives a *smile*!

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Media reports!!!!

Honestly, they're guessing. They know as much as we do about what Jack will be offered, I very much doubt that he'd be offered less than the average AFL player would be on.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Maybe its a $300k base with bonuses for goals and game fees on top. Not everything is as black and white as it seems.

Plus if he's given the chance to do as much media (he's already doing AFL360 but maybe a bit more with Fox Footy with other teams games), then it might work out better for him as he might earn more than just in a pure media gig anyway.

The other thing that might keep Jack going for another season is ego. He's already 2nd in games for Richmond and won't play enough to catch KB, but 24 games gets him to 350 games, might be a touch too far in 1 year but if injuries and form go well for him, he's a chance. Goals is the other one, currently 4th for Richmond, play next year and he should get in front of KB who is 23 in front of him. Jack just kicked 40 goals this year in 21 games, he's only 45 behind Richo. Similar to the games, he may just fall short but don't ignore that these records could be a reason to play on again (not to mention a shot at a 4th premiership).

Reactions: 4 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
And what seems "about right" for Dusty?
What's right for Dusty is what he's getting right now.

And what he's getting now and for the next two years was all based on a spread of money over the full term.

Just in case you (or anyone) is implying that he's not worth $1.3m p.a. (or whatever it is) for the last two years - remember - it was all part of the overall package. On an annual average it was absolutely worth it - every bloody cent of it.

Reactions: 5 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Media reports!!!!

Honestly, they're guessing. They know as much as we do about what Jack will be offered, I very much doubt that he'd be offered less than the average AFL player would be on.
The average AFL footballer - or the average 34 year old AFL player?

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
What's right for Dusty is what he's getting right now.

And what he's getting now and for the next two years was all based on a spread of money over the full term.

Just in case you (or anyone) is implying that he's not worth $1.3m p.a. (or whatever it is) for the last two years - remember - it was all part of the overall package. On an annual average it was absolutely worth it - every bloody cent of it.
Yep. Same with Cotchy and Jack, who took cuts whilst in contract.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Maybe its a $300k base with bonuses for goals and game fees on top. Not everything is as black and white as it seems.

Plus if he's given the chance to do as much media (he's already doing AFL360 but maybe a bit more with Fox Footy with other teams games), then it might work out better for him as he might earn more than just in a pure media gig anyway.

The other thing that might keep Jack going for another season is ego. He's already 2nd in games for Richmond and won't play enough to catch KB, but 24 games gets him to 350 games, might be a touch too far in 1 year but if injuries and form go well for him, he's a chance. Goals is the other one, currently 4th for Richmond, play next year and he should get in front of KB who is 23 in front of him. Jack just kicked 40 goals this year in 21 games, he's only 45 behind Richo. Similar to the games, he may just fall short but don't ignore that these records could be a reason to play on again (not to mention a shot at a 4th premiership).
Yeah, $300k plus match payments plus more media work. Maybe not expected to play 23 games but 15 or so. Who knows.

TigerWinner

Tiger Rookie
Apr 21, 2022
Jack is so slow. Say he averages 2 goals a game. Opposition teams run off him and set up say 5 goals a game. 2 looks great but 5 going the other way is not what we want.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users