Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

There probably hasn't been to many kids his age have to try and bust in to a midfield that's won back to back flags after being recruited.
Not sure whether its impacted him mentally but he also missed out on playing in a VFL GF win to be an emergency for the AFL GF which he was also made emergency for Marlion in the space of a week.
Just about everyone around him playing in a premiership victory and he had to sit and watch twice over whilst perfectly healthy.
That can't have been an easy pill to swallow.
Good point.

Reactions: 1 users
They were better than blue-collar early IIRC. At least Baker was. I can't really remember early lambert that well, although leysy did give him the lablett moniker pretty early so he must have showed something pretty special.

Yeah some did back Lambert early (including me), some notable exceptions to that. Lambert was always a hard worker but his disposal was a bit iffy early on IIRC. Baker was always clean but unspectacular, rarely mentioned and certainly not bagged, whereas Lambo was. I remember on game day threads I and others started to say Baker was clean and effective.

You'd say Lambert has moved beyond blue-collar now, Baker well on the way.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope he punches my ticket in the near future,

but for now, I'll wait for the next bus.

and I don't want to run the bloke down, so I'll keep my thoughts close to my chest

No worries easy, we know your heart is in the right place. Like I said the kid could make a name for himself in the next few weeks. Or not.

Has rest of year to show is the prime posi he wants, ruck rover centre bounce clearances

I’m not convinced he’ll make it as he has no point of difference and no stand out skill set other than contested ball ability at lower levels.
Using one game in the seniors as evidence he can play is dangerous. Great Eggsample of that is currently consigned to running around in the twos.
However he did test much quicker than he actually plays. Must learn to use that pace.
Fingers crossed as we desperately need our developing players to succeed.

Yeah still think he’s had enough time at VFL level to get himself right.
Not this year he hasnt. He has played 8 senior games this year and I think he hasnt been medical sub for only 2 or 3 games. How can you get yourself right off the back of that? Plus he has been sent back to the VFL to learn a completely new role at half back.

you see glimpses from underdone good young footballers.
I saw it on Friday night.

There probably hasn't been to many kids his age have to try and bust in to a midfield that's won back to back flags after being recruited.
Not sure whether its impacted him mentally but he also missed out on playing in a VFL GF win to be an emergency for the AFL GF which he was also made emergency for Marlion in the space of a week.
Just about everyone around him playing in a premiership victory and he had to sit and watch twice over whilst perfectly healthy.
Valid points BC. I just struggle a little with this inside bull stuff. We've essentially needed one all year yet he hasn't almost been tried there. Surely that's because the coaches don't see that role for him? Shouldn't he have forced his way in there through weight of numbers if that was his strength?

Similar to Stack, I've seen enough early form to suggest Ross has the talent and personally wouldn't be giving up on either of them. I just get the feeling we are somewhat stifling our young players with our over emphasis on playing a role and having a defensive first mindset. This may work for the less talented blue collar types, but it could go the other way for some others. Need to re-visit our mantra of playing to our strengths. Ross is not a wing or half back - understand the concept of developing a well rounded game, but need to harness the players strengths first and foremost. Playing Ross on the wing - the main KPI would be to cover territory. This may work for Kmac and Pickett and would work to their strengths, but it's detrimental to a player like Ross.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Yeah some did back Lambert early (including me), some notable exceptions to that. Lambert was always a hard worker but his disposal was a bit iffy early on IIRC. Baker was always clean but unspectacular, rarely mentioned and certainly not bagged, whereas Lambo was. I remember on game day threads I and others started to say Baker was clean and effective.

You'd say Lambert has moved beyond blue-collar now, Baker well on the way.
I backed Lambert early, then jumped off, then back on again. Bakes I've been on since day 1.

On Ross, Jack nailed it a while back for me. Everyone's saying he's an inside bull but he's yet to prove it. Even his great first year form, he wasn't smashing in and winning hot contest stuff, he was finding the loose.

Tank has been an issue: go-again power. Repeat efforts.

As Jack said, stop thinking you're a neat skills type Rossy, and smash in. Some good signs on Friday night.

I think I’m right saying Jack was the first picked of the midfield Cubs at the start of the season, his season got derailed having to be sub and a lack of VFL IIRC .

Valid points BC. I just struggle a little with this inside bull stuff. We've essentially needed one all year yet he hasn't almost been tried there. Surely that's because the coaches don't see that role for him? Shouldn't he have forced his way in there through weight of numbers if that was his strength?
Not sure whether Hardwick is trying to mould him or just get him game time where he can but I'm pretty sure Hardwick rates Ross.
Before the year started I read an article which had Grimesy talking about Ross, really rates him in the midfield and was the one to watch this year.

So was Ross. His first few games were fantastic and had us all thinking we have found an absolute star bull. I would say i was more excited by Ross' first few games than Baker's.
He also came in saying he didn’t want to just play for Richmond. He wanted to be captain. He has that competitive streak you can tell by his eyes. I will not be surprised if he becomes that player again by the end of this season.

It seems as though the comments made about Ross are the same ones made about Jack Graham . He was spectacular early on in his career but went off the boil. A little maturity and consistency has got him back. Reckon Ross is the same

Reactions: 2 users
I think this was posted a bit earlier, but geez, worth a watch!

tough sure - but shouldnt that have inspired rather than stalled?
im barracking for him tho as well.

The lesson from 2017 was to play to players' strengths. I think we have lost sight of this a bit.

Put him where he is best and see how he goes. Plus, remember how few games he has played.

DS

The trouble is DS - who do you push out of the midfield to make space.

The credit to Ross is they think he is good enough to play on the best 22, just not in his preferred position at the moment.

The trouble is DS - who do you push out of the midfield to make space.

The credit to Ross is they think he is good enough to play on the best 22, just not in his preferred position at the moment.
I think they think he's good enough to play in our best 22 if six of them are out injured, yott.