Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

A timely reminder of the player we recruited:

STRENGTHS: Inside/outside mix, aggression, ball winning, efficiency, speed
IMPROVEMENTS: Endurance, tackling

SUMMARY: Jack Ross is a player who has flown under the radar to put together a very impressive year amongst a raft of stars in the Oakleigh Chargers midfield. A TAC Cup mainstay, Ross has shown signs of an all-round midfield game with a good mix of aggressive ball winning, and outside class to deliver well by foot. Given he wins his fair share of contested ball, with an average of 5.4 clearances while kicking the ball long 28.7 per cent of the time, Ross’ disposal efficiency is highly impressive and a testament to his decision making when given time and space. That mix of class and aggression is rare, and puts him in good stead for making an impact at the next level with his 86.7kg frame. Given his power, Ross’ 20m sprint time of 2.95 seconds makes sense, but he could look to use that more when bursting from packs. Despite his aggressive approach, Ross can also improve on his tackling numbers, averaging just 2.4 as a midfielder who often finds himself in the clinches. As a power-based athlete, endurance is also something Ross should improve to become a more dominant midfielder and run out games with more than his average of 20.5 disposals. There is not much Ross can’t do as a midfielder though, and he looks like a ready-made prospect.
A lot changes in 5 years. An 87kg player has such an advantage at that age. Ross doesn't have that physical advantage any longer.

Would you say Ross shows class and aggression as an AFL player? They are not two words that spring to mind when watching him at the top level. Not even his biggest fans would use them.

Reactions: 1 user
Coz sometimes you need nuts n bolts n a bit of string to hold n organise all the fancy bits n pieces into the right places. Otherwise you just end up with an expensive pile of crap lying on the floor.

Carter had the same attitude to Lambert and we know how that turned out. You need meat and potato footballers, and sometimes they even surprise you with what they can do when given opportunities.

Carter had the same attitude to Lambert and we know how that turned out. You need meat and potato footballers, and sometimes they even surprise you with what they can do when given opportunities.
He can kick a great long goal

This bloke can be an AFL class player, Carts. Nobody has 20 of them.

Ignore the military haircut and read the numbers. Watch the play. The "Ross is very outside" school is being very gentle here. Ross is very outside. That's his nature. We didn't turn him into that role of player.

4/19 CP/UP last game and dropped. RFC would like more Contested. Back to the Magoos.

Poor disposal? Not always. Rushing it. Because very outside. Try it on.

Ross is better than he's showing. And can really use when in form. He lacks confidence. And form. He can fight his way back into the ones. Getting his hands dirty might help.

With so many of the underlist out he may not have to. MoJu should never have been recalled. But better if he does.

solid defense Jack but I can't walk with you on this one, alas

In his last game EQUAL 4th most disposals against Collingwood with 23. A great long goal from an angle outside 50.

Also in Best Players on most sites.,
Either side of that been basically the best in VFL. Not really out of form? Mansell would dream of those numbers

GOALS
Collingwood:
Elliott 2, Pendlebury, Mihocek, Johnson, Hill, J. Daicos, McStay
Richmond: Riewoldt 2, Mansell, Clarke, Bolton, Lynch, Ross

BEST
Collingwood:
De Goey, J. Daicos, N. Daicos, Sidebottom, Frampton, Mitchell, Crisp

Richmond: Baker, Taranto, Rioli, Bolton, Vlastuin, Ross

Those best players are off Richmond Football Club WEBSITE...

Reactions: 2 users
Yep they see more upside in others. Ball use is the key. That's becoming clear now.
Mind you I'm not sure why Hugo remains. I guess he's quicker than Ross.

Much quicker than Ross but also a poor kick. (Both occasionally gets lucky when kicking for goal but their passing of the ball is equally poor).

Smiths greater appeal possibly stems from his consistent willingness to take the game on.

Last edited:
Much quicker than Ross but also a poor kick. (Both occasionally gets lucky when kicking for goal but their passing of the ball is equally poor).

Smiths greater appeal possibly stems from his consistent willingness to take the game on.
If they were dropped for bad kicking 3/4 of the team would be out. I think Ross kicked very well back half of last year , and this year has been ok too. His goal kicking is not lucky, that is not fair to him at all. He has done it on multiple occasions now

Ross might be outside currently, but he wasnt always that type of player. Was relentless in his attack the ball as a junior, and into his first year.

The club changed how they wanted him to play between year 1 and 2 and made him drop a lot of kg's. It's been a concerted effort to turn him into a wingman

Reactions: 6 users
Ross might be outside currently, but he wasnt always that type of player. Was relentless in his attack the ball as a junior, and into his first year.

The club changed how they wanted him to play between year 1 and 2 and made him drop a lot of kg's. It's been a concerted effort to turn him into a wingman
Absolutely correct. Tried to show before and after shots but couldn’t get them to paste

If they were dropped for bad kicking 3/4 of the team would be out. I think Ross kicked very well back half of last year , and this year has been ok too. His goal kicking is not lucky, that is not fair to him at all. He has done it on multiple occasions now

After rule changes (stand 666) accurate passing, preferably with both feet, became a must for a team looking to finish top 4.

We had throughout our flag years, been pretty weak in this area. Accordingly there was a noticeable change in our recruitment in ‘21, (when we had 5 picks in the top 30), and the change focused on kicking skills.

We are as you point out, still a long way off.

Don’t think either of these two, who both predate the changes, can improve much in this particular skill set.
Unfortunately not expecting either, plus Mansell and possibly even M Jr, to be around long term.

After rule changes (stand 666) accurate passing, preferably with both feet, became a must for a team looking to finish top 4.

We had throughout our flag years, been pretty weak in this area. Accordingly there was a noticeable change in our recruitment in ‘21, (when we had 5 picks in the top 30), and the change focused on kicking skills.

Don’t think either of these two, who both predate the changes, can improve much in this particular skill set.
Unfortunately not expecting either, plus Mansell and possibly even M Jr, to be around long term.

good point.

it's entirely possible that we were never gonna win flag #4 in this dynasty after stand was introduced.

With the supposed transfer of Jack Graham & probable retirement of Cotch at the end of this season, I think Ross will finally get a real extended run of games. Which imo is what he really needs to show what he's capable of. His last 5 or 6 games last year gave us a bit of a glimpse.

Reactions: 1 users

Fair points but - recruitment of Taranto for 7 years is ok then?

Also on reflection, can you explain to me why it is, that the opposition having to ‘stand’ on the mark, means we have to be a better kicking team than prior to that rule when they could jump all over the place?
I assume it’s obvious, maybe I’m having a mental blank

Last edited:
Fair points but - recruitment of Taranto for 7 years is ok then?
Mmmm
Wasn’t a fan of our dealings with GWS, but for different reasons, mainly to do with the letting go of our future 1st.
(Something had to be done given our obvious weakness in the mid field).

Have to admit I wasn’t so familiar with their disposal techniques. But have to agree that we have taken over a problem, which now looks likely to become more of an issue as years go by.

Also on reflection, can you explain to me why it is, that the opposition having to ‘stand’ on the mark, means we have to be a better kicking team than prior to that rule when they could jump all over the place?
I assume it’s obvious, maybe I’m having a mental blank

As I see it with the stand rule, the defender standing motionless on the mark, is taken out of the game resulting in the team with the ball getting greater advantage by kicking short to a team mate, whose team out number it’s opponent, by that one player.
(This only works if you can kick accurately).

The alternative, kicking long to a pack or kicking towards a pack, the chaos play, (mostly a 50/50 play in which the faster and stronger hold advantage)- became less advantageous, because it gave up that one player more available to contest possession.

The 666 rule is intended at the time of its application, to keep payers at a greater distance from each other and from the ball, thereby further breaking down the ability of a team relying on a chaos attack.
More space to run and greater incentive to be able to kick accurately to a team mate in space, rather than simply blasting it long.

Both rules seem to have been intended to muck up our game.

Hopethatmakessomesense!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

If this is true how do you explain the recruitment of Taranto (and Hopper to a lesser extent). He is a terrible kick !

This x 1000.
Go back and watch Ross' first couple of games before that flog Fyfe ruined his ankle and he was a young bull. Showed power, poise and hunted the ball.
Coaches for some reason i still cannot fathom have decided to take his 1 wood and turn him into a skinny flanker.
We seem to do that very well lately. Hell bent on teaching players something apparently that is supposed to make them better players but eventually leads to their confidence being shot and their careers fizzling.
Can add a number of these that the club has just crueled.

As I see it with the stand rule, the defender standing motionless on the mark, is taken out of the game resulting in the team with the ball getting greater advantage by kicking short to a team mate, whose team out number it’s opponent, by that one player.
(This only works if you can kick accurately).

The alternative, kicking long to a pack or kicking towards a pack, the chaos play, (mostly a 50/50 play in which the faster and stronger hold advantage)- became less advantageous, because it gave up that one player more available to contest possession.

The 666 rule is intended at the time of its application, to keep payers at a greater distance from each other and from the ball, thereby further breaking down the ability of a team relying on a chaos attack.
More space to run and greater incentive to be able to kick accurately to a team mate in space, rather than simply blasting it long.

Both rules seem to have been intended to muck up our game.

Hopethatmakessomesense!
Thanks.
Re Paragraph 1, you have the kicker and the man on the mark. Outside that it is still 17 on 17. I agree it is easier to pass the ball at angles because the man on the mark cannot impact that kick with his movement until the kicker moves off the line. But the person he is kicking it to is not an ‘extra player’.
I agree it allows great kicks the ability to be more incisive with their use as can shift either direction with freedom.
Maybe that incisive kick is something we cannot do.
It still doesn’t tell me why we can’t attack the way we always have.

With paragraph 2 I don’t really see how the stand rule impacts that , sorry just don’t get that bit.

The 666 i think definitely impacts the way we used to play from centre bounce especially. We always created the extra behind the ball - generally Vlastuin or Grimes, so happliy played 7 or even 8 defenders.
This meant often having one less around stoppages and losing clearances, or being outnumbered up forward.
But we were happy to lose clearances then turn the ball over with our extra defensive number, then charge forward from there like maniacs.
I don’t get why after centre bounce we don’t revert this anyway

A lot changes in 5 years. An 87kg player has such an advantage at that age. Ross doesn't have that physical advantage any longer.

Would you say Ross shows class and aggression as an AFL player? They are not two words that spring to mind when watching him at the top level. Not even his biggest fans would use them.
I would say what has changed is what coach wants from him. His endurance was an issue to begin with. Running all day against kids, vs for us, he was weak defensively.
But critics here say he can't kick. Yet u18 JR was a good kick, and tested so I believe at draft camp.
Critics here say he is too slow. But 2.95/20m is roughly where Cotchin was at the same age, if not maybe a touch faster.
I think RFC is using him wrong. Always have done. He started out OK, when used as a mid. Then to get him game time, I think we got him to drop some kg and go more outside. He's not a flagship mid. He's an honest worker, with good enough skills to be valued.
I'd walk if I was him. We've wasted his career and continue to do so. He's not going to become a Brownlow winner, but he could have been one spot we didn't need to fill, and saved our trades/draft picks for someone more damage than a Hopper for example.