Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Still not sold on Ross. Did improve as the game went on but is at the stage of his career where he now needs to start having a bigger impact over 4 qtrs. He's not a Shai or flashy type player that can do a few freaky things each qtr and stand out. Needs solid 4 qtrs each game.
Id give him Hoppers role and see how he goes. Keeps his spot atm as no one else there to take his spot

Reactions: 1 user
Its true though....imagine lying there the night before the Match thinking *smile* I hope I am not on Marlon.
We should get Marlon to do a video on some dirty deeds he's done ala Ray Shoesmith...wouldn't even matter if it was made up. It would add even more fear factor. His job would be done before the ball is bounced.

Reactions: 2 users
If Hopper's out and Nank's in, Miller goes back and Hugo to a wing maybe.
Is that losing our balance, too many talls?
Hugo to a wing. Bauer to debut? Banks? Dow?
Not a lot of fit options.

Alternative is Cotch to reprise his heat seeking role. Would rather we take the opportunity to go forward and give Ross a shot in the middle. We'll sort out wing.

Still not sold on Ross. Did improve as the game went on but is at the stage of his career where he now needs to start having a bigger impact over 4 qtrs. He's not a Shai or flashy type player that can do a few freaky things each qtr and stand out. Needs solid 4 qtrs each game.
Id give him Hoppers role and see how he goes. Keeps his spot atm as no one else there to take his spot
Replaces macca , he ain’t shai or dusty either

Its true though....imagine lying there the night before the Match thinking *smile* I hope I am not on Marlon.
We should get Marlon to do a video on some dirty deeds he's done ala Ray Shoesmith...wouldn't even matter if it was made up. It would add even more fear factor. His job would be done before the ball is bounced.
Bit like the dread you feel when your boss tells you they want to meet you in their office the following day.

Personally don't see the stand rule has much of a change.
A kick is much easier with less movement and u don't need to be a kicking wiz to find a target .
Tigers naturally become less effective with age and retirement just like geelong ,Hawks,lions did after their dynasty.

I'm a fan of Jack Ross, would play him every game, compare to Edwards, Lambert,etc at this age, he's ahead.

On a few occasions I thought he was not running both ways hard enough but so hard to tell unless you are at the game. I’ll never know how many repeat sprints he’s just done from where I sit. Any insights from those who were there?

I think we'd like to keep Pickett in the Castagna role
(Mansell played the Towner v Stewart too)

Agree with you on Dion. So if we move Ross inboard can we get someone else on the wing?
Who’s been playing the Towner role when Mansell didn’t play it?

The problem with Ross is he is not remotely flashy like some so plays relatively unnoticed and we only seem to see and highlight his foul ups but few of his good plays. If he can get a settled position we could well see a better all round player. Although he will never be a Cotchin he can still be useful

On a few occasions I thought he was not running both ways hard enough but so hard to tell unless you are at the game. I’ll never know how many repeat sprints he’s just done from where I sit. Any insights from those who were there?
Ross looked to be dropping off formation a couple of times in the first, fb. But pushed to attack. 3 disposals for 2 turnovers but was using it long and hard. Not enough urgency in formation from my focus on him. But not disastrous. He was on my radar.

Played very tight in the second for zero(?) disposals. Very tight. Good effort.

After half time he had 10 touches for 2 SI. Kept working but had no hurt in him. Kept formation. largely.

There was a lot of heat in the game. It was big-city football for most of the night. Ross took time to adjust to that.

I can verify that his formation work was a bit off early. But he did lift. Some surprising aerial work. I think he's committed but learning the caper. Not naturally an aggressive player.

Reactions: 5 users
He shave always thought this and have been surprised over the years with people saying how bad his disposal is. Usually always to the benefit of the Bloke he is kicking to. He makes the odd Clanger as does every player, his get more noticed or mentioned for so,e reason though. I rate him highly, always have.

Lol

He took a fantastic contested mark at half back I think it was. It was so out of character I took note.

Nonetheless, those saying he’s “ahead of lambert” at same age are kidding themselves.

Lambert had massive smarts and a huge ceiling to grow into.

Not to mention a huge tank that Ross does not have.

However, Antman has an incredible knowledge of our great game so if he’s talking Ross up as a long term replacement for Lablett how can I possibly disagree?

Still not sold on Ross. Did improve as the game went on but is at the stage of his career where he now needs to start having a bigger impact over 4 qtrs.

What I am learning about Ross is that he is being asked to play a highly structured role that is different to what he was doing at VFL level. I think this is Dimma's way of finding a permanent role for him in our best 22.

I thought Ross might have been asked to be traded last year due to lack of opportunities. But I reckon Dimma promised him he will give him opportunity to find him a spot in the team to make his own. Pickett may only have 1-2 years left. With the trialling of him up forward, it provided an opportunity for Ross to bed down a permanent role. It may well take him most of the year to bed it down properly.