Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Sure dude, will cut you some slack. See you next year for your annual round five "we must bottom out" thread and subsequent walk back.

ciao bello and go tigers

graciously done, you had little choice after being called out

and no, i'm hoping i don't "see" you anywhere

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Had a great debut year. I expected great things from there. Has stagnated could be partly due to the injury and opportunities. Looked accomplished on the ball back then. Good decision making and skills. I suppose what we're arguing here is has Ross already hit his ceiling or does he have more to give?

Ross Debut Year

For mine I reckon if he had more he'd be at his 2019 level or above already. I'm a fan but I'm also a realist. Promise him a block of games and see how he goes staking a claim. But I don't think he's going to be the jet we'd hoped after 2019.

What was the slight on him from the draft that saw him slide to 47?
Jack Ross
Height: 186cm

Weight: 85kg

D.O.B: 03-09-2000

Leagues: Coates Talent League Boys

STRENGTHS: Inside/outside mix, aggression, ball winning, efficiency, speed
IMPROVEMENTS: Endurance, tackling

SUMMARY: Jack Ross is a player who has flown under the radar to put together a very impressive year amongst a raft of stars in the Oakleigh Chargers midfield. A TAC Cup mainstay, Ross has shown signs of an all-round midfield game with a good mix of aggressive ball winning, and outside class to deliver well by foot. Given he wins his fair share of contested ball, with an average of 5.4 clearances while kicking the ball long 28.7 per cent of the time, Ross’ disposal efficiency is highly impressive and a testament to his decision making when given time and space. That mix of class and aggression is rare, and puts him in good stead for making an impact at the next level with his 86.7kg frame. Given his power, Ross’ 20m sprint time of 2.95 seconds makes sense, but he could look to use that more when bursting from packs. Despite his aggressive approach, Ross can also improve on his tackling numbers, averaging just 2.4 as a midfielder who often finds himself in the clinches. As a power-based athlete, endurance is also something Ross should improve to become a more dominant midfielder and run out games with more than his average of 20.5 disposals. There is not much Ross can’t do as a midfielder though, and he looks like a ready-made prospect.

From https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player/jack-ross/

You can make up your own mind on what the "experts" thought of him at draft time.

Reactions: 1 user

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I think all this proves is that Ross was a much higher pick and as such should be doing a lot more, especially as he's had WAY more than enough time to show some quality. We can't be waiting until midfielders turn 25 to assess if they'll ever make it. He'll get some games with Hopper out, but really if at the end of the year he's not an automatic selection in the first 22, he's done.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Is there a ruler that gets run across Jack Ross that no one else gets??
It’s beyond ridiculous.
He has fought his way to 50 pretty solid games and every 2nd post ends with “he’s done”.
Hopefully many of the Ross haters have a really s**t night tonight as he celebrates representing the Tigers for the 50th time

Reactions: 15 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Is there a ruler that gets run across Jack Ross that no one else gets??
It’s beyond ridiculous.
He has fought his way to 50 pretty solid games and every 2nd post ends with “he’s done”.
Hopefully many of the Ross haters have a really s**t night tonight as he celebrates representing the Tigers for the 50th time
It's been a pretty mediocre first 50 games. We're still looking for a step up from his first 7 games. He'll be 5 seasons in and 23 by the end of the season, and he's below average in every stat except marks - so far. I think he's about to get a good run of games to show what he's made of. We need him to lift if we're going to play finals, so I REALLY hope he does.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
It's been a pretty mediocre first 50 games. We're still looking for a step up from his first 7 games. He'll be 5 seasons in and 23 by the end of the season, and he's below average in every stat except marks - so far. I think he's about to get a good run of games to show what he's made of. We need him to lift if we're going to play finals, so I REALLY hope he does.
Bit hard for the bloke to get any sort of form n performance consistency in his game when he's constantly been treated like the *smile* kickers left overs. After he got back from that leg injury he's only ever been the sub or the fill in player when the premiership mids have been out injured.
Pleased that he's made it to fifty games n hopeful he gets to settle into the side n gets past a 100 games.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Mediocre compared to what? I would contend he has been a more than serviceable player with some really solid games thrown in there. Look at the 2018 draft and IMO he is by far the best performed player from his pick 43 onwards. And again Jack was pick 43, after pick 30 it is basically speculation.

Reactions: 2 users

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
Mediocre compared to what? I would contend he has been a more than serviceable player with some really solid games thrown in there. Look at the 2018 draft and IMO he is by far the best performed player from his pick 43 onwards. And again Jack was pick 43, after pick 30 it is basically speculation.
Agree. What is the % of players drafted after 40 making 50 games probably less than 10%. Goodluck tonite Jack

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I think Jack has done very admirably in trying to break into a midfield consisting of, over the years, Cotch, Dusty, Shai, Taranto, Hopper, Dion Lambert whilst being played out of position, played as a sub, getting injured, often being the first to get dropped.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Agree. What is the % of players drafted after 40 making 50 games probably less than 10%. Goodluck tonite Jack
Historically, picks 31-50 have a 48% chance of playing 40+ games and a 41% chance of playing 60+ games.

The Ross critics have some valid points. A generous assessment of his career to date would be mediocre and but he does still have some things going for him. Firstly, he’s proven time and again to be above VFL level. Secondly, he clearly has the backing of the coaches because they keep playing him. The likes of RCD, Martyn and even Dow to a lesser extent have not had that same backing. And finally, he’s contracted until 2024 so he’s likely sticking around.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Interesting thing I noticed... First half he was sitting around 95% game time, but by the end of the match he was down to around 80%.

Anyone notice if he was gassed at half time?

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Too slow to make the right decision when he gets it. I wanted him to get a good run of games but I think he doesn't have enough afl attributes

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Okay at times tonight but seems to have very little impact or influence.
I'm starting to drift into the meh opinion about his future.