Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Ross played a lone hand in the midfield against Werribee. Our only mid. RCD was awful and Dow was a lot worse than that. He got some support from George and then a little from MRJ.

He played for 70% of the game well above the level. He is breaking lines and his ball use is improving. He even laid a tackle. (IKR.)

At VFL level in a side that was unravelling Jack Ross played with discipline and authority. He's got work to do but he's getting there. He keeps running and he puts others through.

He probably has to come in.

Morris -

"Jack Ross (26 disposals, five marks, five clearances)

"He was outstanding on the day with his intent. He cracked in, tried hard, and led the way for our young team."

Reactions: 7 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Ross played a lone hand in the midfield against Werribee. Our only mid. RCD was awful and Dow was a lot worse than that. He got some support from George and then a little from MRJ.

He played for 70% of the game well above the level. He is breaking lines and his ball use is improving. He even laid a tackle. (IKR.)

At VFL level in a side that was unravelling Jack Ross played with discipline and authority. He's got work to do but he's getting there. He keeps running and he puts others through.

He probably has to come in.

Morris -

"Jack Ross (26 disposals, five marks, five clearances)

"He was outstanding on the day with his intent. He cracked in, tried hard, and led the way for our young team."
Unfortunately Steve Morris fails to acknowledge that his disposal was deplorable. Was there in it’s full glory for all to see. If you want to see it

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
pretty clear Morris has no idea - talks some rubbish in his reports every week

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Unfortunately Steve Morris fails to acknowledge that his disposal was deplorable. Was there in it’s full glory for all to see. If you want to see it

We're going to have a thread about Morro, DA. The situation is a bit worrying but not clear cut imo.

I've done the first quarter for Ross. I'll post below.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Richmond V Werribee

1Q Jack Ross disposal.

2:47 Receives hb at cb. (Handball at centre bounce.) In space. Sends 55m kick at slight angle firmly into the hands of Mate Colina who drops it.

3:54 Wins loose in minor congestion. Flips 1m RH hb over opponent to running Brown. Setting him to space. (Brown bombs high I50 to them.)

5:07 Boundary throw in. Wing. Receives hb from Ryan. Under pressure flips LH hb to Sonsie, setting him to space. (Sonsie checksides high bomb.) Umpire awards too high free to Ross and brings it back. Ross overcooks it a little then plays on sending the ball too high into 50 where it hits four Richmond hands. No mark.

5:38. General play forward wing. Ross smothers opponent over boundary. No disposal.

7:32 Throw in wing. Stands opponent at throw in. Gets lost. Opponent loose, Ross forward of the ball. Another throw in. No harm done.

The score is 1.0 to 1.2. They scored their goal from an incorrect free kick followed by Biggie letting it out the back. But they were on top.

No CBAs for Ross until 18:48. I don’t know if Ross was off for the whole ten minutes but he was not on screen. During this ten minute period we were mercilessly flogged at ground level. And we look dazed and confused. 1.2 to 3.4.

18:48 CB. Ryan earns free. It is wrongly awarded to Ross who kicks 10m forward to unmarked Sonsie. Ross runs past to receive, runs 10m, drives low kick 40m into the eyes of Colina who spills.

20:23 Wing. Ross rucks at throw in. Loses.

21:30. Centre. Marks short pass from Brown. Plays on. Spots Banks 40m in space forward wing. Can put him through and split the game. Sees this. Under no pressure pulls kick right and short to trio of opponents.

Game intense and scrappy as we tighten up and try to get a football game going.

22:20 Wing. Ross receives hb from Banks. 180. Bombs ball wide of smotherer’s hands OOF 40m away.

22:55. Wing/HBF. Intercepts loose on boundary. In space. Keeps it in. Angles kick across body to a contest 10m wide of square. (Boundary covered by them.) Bumped in kicking. Hack kick intercepted at ground level by them.

23:05 Just inside D50. Gathers flukey ruck tap. 180. Baulks. Sends 30m kick to space favouring Johnson who puts Henderson to space > I50, no score.

25:00 Inside D50. Banks drops a mark - it gets out the back. Ross intercepts loose. Runs across goal, taking two bounces. Sends 25m handball through the guts a bit too high to George who takes minor heat as he flips ball to running Banks. (MRJ bungled the hb or it would have been a score and therefore a score launch - gold.)

30:03 Brown in the BP flips a dinky hb back to Ross (who is very deep late in the quarter to prevent any further bleeding). Ross runs across goal and kicks it 20m to Banks in the other BP. Banks settles for a second then plays on wide before driving a 18m hb to the laces of Ross. Ross gets a push in the back (not called) as he falls but gets an 18m handball to Martyn who is rightly on the boundary. Martyn hbs 2m inside to the running Banks and we’re inside 50 with a goal shot eventually.

After Ross came back on at about the 18m mark they didn’t score. We got him behind the ball to defend and it worked. He had the chance to rip the game open but bungled the kick. But had a huge impact in this quarter.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Richmond V Werribee

1Q Jack Ross disposal.

2:47 Receives hb at cb. (Handball at centre bounce.) In space. Sends 55m kick at slight angle firmly into the hands of Mate Colina who drops it.

3:54 Wins loose in minor congestion. Flips 1m RH hb over opponent to running Brown. Setting him to space. (Brown bombs high I50 to them.)

5:07 Boundary throw in. Wing. Receives hb from Ryan. Under pressure flips LH hb to Sonsie, setting him to space. (Sonsie checksides high bomb.) Umpire awards too high free to Ross and brings it back. Ross overcooks it a little then plays on sending the ball too high into 50 where it hits four Richmond hands. No mark.

5:38. General play forward wing. Ross smothers opponent over boundary. No disposal.

7:32 Throw in wing. Stands opponent at throw in. Gets lost. Opponent loose, Ross forward of the ball. Another throw in. No harm done.

The score is 1.0 to 1.2. They scored their goal from an incorrect free kick followed by Biggie letting it out the back. But they were on top.

No CBAs for Ross until 18:48. I don’t know if Ross was off for the whole ten minutes but he was not on screen. During this ten minute period we were mercilessly flogged at ground level. And we look dazed and confused. 1.2 to 3.4.

18:48 CB. Ryan earns free. It is wrongly awarded to Ross who kicks 10m forward to unmarked Sonsie. Ross runs past to receive, runs 10m, drives low kick 40m into the eyes of Colina who spills.

21:30. Centre. Marks short pass from Brown. Plays on. Spots Banks 40m in space forward wing. Can put him through and split the game. Sees this. Under no pressure pulls kick right and short to trio of opponents.

22:20 Wing. Ross receives hb from Banks. 180. Bombs ball wide of smotherer’s hands OOF 40m away.

22:55. Wing/HBF. Intercepts loose on boundary. In space. Keeps it in. Angles kick across body to a contest 10m wide of square. (Boundary covered by them.) Bumped in kicking. Hack kick intercepted at ground level by them.

23:05 Just inside D50. Gathers flukey ruck tap. 180. Baulks. Sends 30m kick to space favouring Johnson who puts Henderson to space > I50, no score.

25:00 Inside D50. Banks drops a mark - it gets out the back. Ross intercepts loose. Runs across goal, taking two bounces. Sends 25m handball through the guts a bit too high to George who takes minor heat as he flips ball to running Banks. (MRJ bungled the hb or it would have been a score and therefore a score launch - gold.)

30:03 Brown in the BP flips a dinky hb back to Ross (who is very deep late in the quarter to prevent any further bleeding). Ross runs across goal and kicks it 20m to Banks in the other BP. Banks settles for a second then plays on wide before driving a 18m hb to the laces of Ross. Ross gets a push in the back (not called) as he falls but gets an 18m handball to Martyn who is rightly on the boundary. Martyn hbs 2m inside to the running Banks and we’re inside 50 with a goal shot eventually.

After Ross came back on at about the 18m mark they didn’t score. We got him behind the ball to defend and it worked. He had the chance to rip the game open but bungled the kick. But had a huge impact in this quarter.
Top stuff Jack. What's your mark out of 10?

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
We're going to have a thread about Morro, DA. The situation is a bit worrying but not clear cut imo.

I've done the first quarter for Ross. I'll post below.
Great work Jack.
Make sure you have some popcorn when watching the next 3 quarters. It’s going to get ugly from here

• Haha

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Richmond V Werribee

1Q Jack Ross disposal.

You're making a great case to promote Banks.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Top stuff Jack. What's your mark out of 10?
In the first quarter he was our best if not as busy as Ryan. I don't do that kind of thinking 8/10 sorta thing, TF. I think Ross demonstrated that he is well above the level. That's what matters. He's at AFL level imo. And now classes above RCD, Dow and Martyn from the same era of recruiting. And who could forget Luke English?

He and Miller will certainly play senior football next year. If not sooner. Above the level in scrappy VFA games.

That bungled kick was a skill error. Hs vision was there. That's the development in his game and it's been massive.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
You're making a great case to promote Banks.

Ross is from the Great Potato Era. Banks is a Superhunk, TBH. Very hard on Ross to compare him to that elite.

Banks must get a taste this year. Maybe soon. He'll come up when we get to Morris.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Ross is from the Great Potato Era. Banks is a Superhunk, TBH. Very hard on Ross to compare him to that elite.

Banks must get a taste this year. Maybe soon. He'll come up when we get to Morris.
The great potato era :ROFLMAO:
Where’s a famine when you need one

• Wow

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
it is reassuring to know if Dusty misses, we have a ready replacement in Jack Ross.

• Love

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
In the first quarter he was our best if not as busy as Ryan. I don't do that kind of thinking 8/10 sorta thing, TF. I think Ross demonstrated that he is well above the level. That's what matters. He's at AFL level imo. And now classes above RCD, Dow and Martyn from the same era of recruiting. And who could forget Luke English?

He and Miller will certainly play senior football next year. If not sooner. Above the level in scrappy VFA games.

That bungled kick was a skill error. Hs vision was there. That's the development in his game and it's been massive.
Thanks Jack. Signs are showing that Miller and Ross are both on the fence level with VFL and AFL.

Last edited:

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
31 touches, 8 clearances and a goal against a suburban side. Well above the level.

No surprises? Ross has a unique physical trait. At close to full speed he can turn 135 degrees. He often does. Takes the ball facing the wrong way then turns towards goal. He can turn 180 and does.

This is something to work with. Ross is very outside but is learning to come through the line and work in congestion. If you run through traffic and turn with the ball you're hard to catch.

Well, FMD. Jack Ross blind turns 360 in traffic inside 50, amazes himself and I can't remember if he kicked the goal. He should do that again with less amazement. And again.

• Love

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
He's our best mid in the reserves but needs to believe he's AFL level when he gets a run.

Reactions: 3 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Most times I’ve watched the VFL he has looked above the level… his issue is his kicking. He must clean it up if he wants to become a genuine AFL player. He is generally fairly tidy but the constant high bombs and the occasional howlers need to be fixed up.
You can get away with it on the suburban grounds somewhat. Fixes that up and I reckon he is a real player. He has shown improvement - unlike some others - He has time.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
It's also worth noting that he is played in position at VFL level, and because of our AFL midfield, rarely gets to play that role. When he did early in his career he was really good

Reactions: 6 users