Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It's also worth noting that he is played in position at VFL level, and because of our AFL midfield, rarely gets to play that role. When he did early in his career he was really good
I am a fan, he hasnt been a star at AFL but has done the jobs asked of him, i reckon, and that is why he has been picked when spots have opened up. he is no Dusty or Cotch (at his best), but he is an effective mid who works hard. and is still just 21.
he certainly wont be delisted at the end of the year.

Reactions: 8 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
It's also worth noting that he is played in position at VFL level, and because of our AFL midfield, rarely gets to play that role. When he did early in his career he was really good
Yes he did but he's also been given opportunities in that inside midfielder role at snr level in fits & starts since & has struggled to impact whatsoever. Particularly at clearance. His lack of size & breakaway speed hurts him a bit.
He's obviously above VFL level now but it's a big step up to AFL. He may get more opportunity if Cotch retires to play that inside role next year or he may get traded to another club with need. Either way I think he's got more senior footy ahead of him yet unlike a couple of others in that VFL team. How far he goes? Time will tell.

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Ryan and Soldo gave RCD and Ross lots of center clearance ball. For that level they dominated in the middle. Even Wil Martyn looked good attacking off a half back flank. How many of those remain at Richmond is to be seen. Cotch-Lambert-Edwards and Presita so some extent will present opportunities in 2023/24.

Reactions: 1 user

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
I have been a knocker at AFL level, though the small amount i saw yesterdays game v Burgers was good, was actually finding our players and had time.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yes he did but he's also been given opportunities in that inside midfielder role at snr level in fits & starts since & has struggled to impact whatsoever. Particularly at clearance. His lack of size & breakaway speed hurts him a bit.
He's obviously above VFL level now but it's a big step up to AFL. He may get more opportunity if Cotch retires to play that inside role next year or he may get traded to another club with need. Either way I think he's got more senior footy ahead of him yet unlike a couple of others in that VFL team. How far he goes? Time will tell.
Thought he was overall excellent in his first season playing 7 games as an inside mid. Check out his first 3 or so games. Not as good in his 2nd season but again only 7 games. Much of 21 and this year he was played as a wing. Clearly he's seen as a good backup in that role when Pickett or KMac are out. He simply hasn't been given enough opportunities yet at AFL level to gain confidence in the middle. Much of that lack of opportunity is due to Tigers on-field success. Ross is a keeper imo. I think he'll be a solid player in the future.

Reactions: 7 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Well, FMD. Jack Ross blind turns 360 in traffic inside 50, amazes himself and I can't remember if he kicked the goal. He should do that again with less amazement. And again.
Thought I was watching the Foosh in his Grannie dance moves again. Was certainly some fancy steppin from Rossy.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Should come in for cotch and play midfield. Most recently he's had to fill in for Pickett and Kmac on the wings but this time won't be required there. Hope he performs well against the big bodied cats

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Should come in for cotch and play midfield. Most recently he's had to fill in for Pickett and Kmac on the wings but this time won't be required there. Hope he performs well against the big bodied cats
Could move Pickett on ball and Ross to the wing as an option if they don’t believe he’s an inside mid

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Thought he was overall excellent in his first season playing 7 games as an inside mid. Check out his first 3 or so games. Not as good in his 2nd season but again only 7 games. Much of 21 and this year he was played as a wing. Clearly he's seen as a good backup in that role when Pickett or KMac are out. He simply hasn't been given enough opportunities yet at AFL level to gain confidence in the middle. Much of that lack of opportunity is due to Tigers on-field success. Ross is a keeper imo. I think he'll be a solid player in the future.
What I think happened is

In his first season he played games that looked very solid. But his opponent was doing damage the other way.
So our footy plan was about defensive accountability first, then the more visible offensive stuff.
This meant teaching Ross something new, which usually impacts on what you do well.

From watching vfl there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s the only alternative if Cotchin misses.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Cool your jets. Coburg are bottom 4.
2 wins.
Fair point, it may be fools gold but Ross has done nothing wrong and definitely deserves another crack in the AFL as there is nobody else with better VFL form in recent weeks.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
He is the logical choice to come in for Cotch, let's hope he grabs the opportunity as there certainly is one boith now and in the future. He is only 21 and appears too good for VFL. Personally I have hiogher hopes for Dow, and Sonsie also appears to have much greater long term scope but Ross has size and experience on those two.

As others suggest I hope its not a wing that he plays despite wanting to see Marlkion in the guts. Against the Cats I think we need KMac and Marlion controlling the wings. Isaac Smith has always troubled us.

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
if picked we need in and under Ross not outside runner Ross. Yeh I know Coburg are not an outstanding VFL team but Ryan and Soldo gave him some silver service, especially out of of the middle. His kicking seemed to be OK too on Sunday.