Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
despite what Chimp does, with Edwards and Lambert going does this creates some kind of space for Ross?

Absolutely, if our lord and saviour his chimpness stays on next year Ross will still be with us.

Now we've put the hard developmental yards into Ross and supported him through his injuries, he won't leave. He's required and he'll stay.

Reactions: 5 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Maybe a fill in for Lambert?
That would be great, 22 if it were to happen.
But Ross (and I'm a fan) is a poor man's Lambert at this point in his career.
Not too many players in the game are on a par with the three-time premiership champion.
Would take something exceptional to take that mantle.

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Not too many players in the game are on a par with the three-time premiership champion.
Cannot argue there. Fill in not replacement.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Poor Soldo's career really nosedived after Carts nominated him as first ruck
Honestly I can take enjoyment from seeing a tiger player,s poor form.
Even to prove a point. Shocking I know, must be getting old
Besides Soldo is still in recovery mode from the acl.
i,m backing him to be needed in 23

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
As said before he's unsigned at this late stage of the year. Bit unusual. Whether that's him or us who's managed that who knows.
Which club/s has him in their sights I wonder? I would think there would be suitors.
If it came down to paying Cotch for another year or losing Ross which direction do you go?
Over to you Blair..
Think the Club is careful about the mistakes the Hawks made. Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis all pushed out and they've wallowed for 5 years.
We seem to have a different trajectory and are committed to fusing youngsters with the old stars. No signs of pushing out the top rung. Instead it's Houli Caddy that seem to be told they won't get games.

So I doubt it's Cotch v Ross.
The club will find a way to keep both

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Yeah. Surprised this hasn’t been noted by many to date. His kicking is in the elite category and maybe explains the high rate of uncontested possessions more than it being anything to do with a lack of centre bounce activity or playing on the wing or whatever.

ie he’s the Mail Man.

Could still improve on his tackling and one or two more contested possessions, just the same.
For the last couple of years, I've been jumping on anyone spouting the myth that Ross is a plodder who can't kick.

In my memory he's always been a very good user. He had a scrappy period in 2019 after his ankle injury, but outside of that he had alwats had good vision, decision making and clean skills.

He has a lot of good attributes. If he ratchets up his inside game (will be helped by playing there), he could become one of our most important.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Honestly I can take enjoyment from seeing a tiger player,s poor form.
Even to prove a point. Shocking I know, must be getting old
Besides Soldo is still in recovery mode from the acl.
i,m backing him to be needed in 23

Fair comment Dellboy. Soldo is a premiership player in 2019, so deserves respect for that. Off-season and trade time will be interesting. We have Ryan coming up the ranks, Miller is doing an amazing job as second ruck and also playing a role around the ground. Big men take a long time to recover - it's two years since the injury IIRC. He may play a role but he's a depth player right now. If he can get mobility back then maybe he can contribute in 2023, but I'm sceptical that a big quality tap ruck who doesn't give us much else is part of the future.

Anyway, apologies for the thread hijack. I'll stick to Jack Ross showing the doubters wrong from hereon in.

Reactions: 1 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
When Lambert was Ross's age, he was hacking around in the VFA, and working in a warehouse.
Jack Ross has time.

Reactions: 9 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Yeah. Surprised this hasn’t been noted by many to date. His kicking is in the elite category and maybe explains the high rate of uncontested possessions more than it being anything to do with a lack of centre bounce activity or playing on the wing or whatever.
There's been some that have said consistently that he's a good kick of the football. There's some that said he was elite as a junior, and that you don't forget how to kick a footy.

Sometimes it's the club that's the issue and not the player. I feel that's the case here. His first few AFL games showed he could kick. I can't explain why we've not used him much in the same role we recruited him in, maybe it was to develop new skills(???), but from the outside it felt like we'd stuffed this guy around to the point he was "de-list material".

Folks here (not necessarily you Redders) are too impatient. Kids at good clubs usually get taken later in the draft and therefore have more work required to get them ready. Couple that with the fact really good sides don't rely on 19yo, his opportunities for AFL growth have been restricted. They said last season we needed to give guys like Jack room to develop. It might be paying dividends now.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I don’t think his limitations will just fade away.

Depth player is the ceiling. If we wanna be a good team, anyway.

• Dislike

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
No surprise he has limitations and isnt as talented as a top 5 pick.

He,s played 40 odd games. Likely to play on next year.
Average games for picks in 40s (Ross was pick 43) is 60.
So another season and he goes above the statistical average.
we want every pick to be a Shai special but picking up solid role players like Ross and Graham go a long way to success

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
No surprise he has limitations and isnt as talented as a top 5 pick.

He,s played 40 odd games. Likely to play on next year.
Average games for picks in 40s (Ross was pick 43) is 60.
So another season and he goes above the statistical average.
we want every pick to be a Shai special but picking up solid role players like Ross and Graham go a long way to success
Can’t afford everyone to be like shai either. You actually need 10th best players who get paid like 20th best players and don’t want to go elsewhere. Brutal but true. Pickett would have been in this mold for a couple of years. Hopefully Ross can be similar.

Reactions: 3 users

Tigers4

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2022
Dimma gotta keep this kid in the side otherwise another good player will be leaving when contracts up

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I don’t think his limitations will just fade away.

Depth player is the ceiling. If we wanna be a good team, anyway.
That would suggest he's already at his ceiling.

He's pushing right to the edge of best 22 already.

With age and experience come consistency. And there's no reason last week can't be the level he consistently reaches. If it is, he's best 22 in most teams.

But I think we'll see a point where a performance like last week is a trough.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Have to remember he is still a very young guy.
Only turns 22 next month.
Can't expect 21/22 year olds to be stars right away.
That would be a rarity.