Jack Watts | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Watts

rinso17

Tiger Superstar
Feb 2, 2005
We should get into this kids ear about laying as low as he can for the rest of the season then doing some kind of a Dawes trade at the end. Don't care what he has shown or what people think of him, I know this kid is a SERIOUS talent and I still would have him ahead of Nicnat.

Could be the key

rinso17 said:
We should get into this kids ear about laying as low as he can for the rest of the season then doing some kind of a Dawes trade at the end. Don't care what he has shown or what people think of him, I know this kid is a SERIOUS talent and I still would have him ahead of Nicnat.

Could be the key

Get off the sauce rinso!

rinso17 said:

Could be the key

In the right side I agree he will leave and the end of this year his best position is a roaming high forward

rinso17 said:
We should get into this kids ear about laying as low as he can for the rest of the season then doing some kind of a Dawes trade at the end.

The Demons would be hoping for some kind of a Tambling trade at this point. No thanks.

rinso17 said:

Could be the key
Ahead of NicNat? :headscratch

rinso17 said:

Could be the key

Stop trolling our site please Needles..... :hihi

Was at the 2008 draft evening at the club and can confirm if we had the #1 pick that year we would have taken Watts as well. Remember Frank and his crew saying he was a clear #1 pick. Just doesn't have support or proper development at the Demons.

Also remember how much we rated Rory Sloane and David Zaharakis but went tall with Posty at pour second pick instead... ARGH!!!

taraba said:
Was at the 2008 draft evening at the club and can confirm if we had the #1 pick that year we would have taken Watts as well. Remember Frank and his crew saying he was a clear #1 pick. Just doesn't have support or proper development at the Demons.

:eek: That's pretty scary thought. Just imagine if we were the club that drafted Bling and Watts ahead of Franklin and NicNat.

Doesn't have the ticker to meet Dimma's required minimum standard.
Watts makes Grigg look tougher than Jakey.

Every time Watts opens his mouth he shows that he doesn't have the mental hardness required to succeed at the games highest level. He'd be a liability no matter where he was. Let's just be glad it was Melbourne that picked him.

rinso17 said:

Could be the key

I know how you feel, and people still give it to me re Morton v Cotchin.

Though, I must say, I did prefer Natanui over Watts.

Unfortunarely both Morton & Watts got stuck at the same club with poor junior development.

Like Morton v Cotchin, different players playing different roles.

mld said:
I expect Watts has been too Melbourned, as Tambling was too Richmonded.

I agree with that. Wouldn't give up anything substantial as there are no guarantees he will re-discover his junior talent/form.

Seem to remember Malthouse took him under his wing in a mentoring capacity last year. Clearly showed what both Watts and Malthouse thought of the D's development programs. Carlton will pick him up on the cheap next year, the soft scam's in play.

Phantom said:
Unfortunarely both Morton & Watts got stuck at the same club with poor junior development.

Like Morton v Cotchin, different players playing different roles.

Morton is at West Coast now so he'll be able to prove once and for all whether he's an AFL talent. But I agree that Melbourne erred by letting him spend his first 2 years as a loose man in defense, Watts the same, to me this is the worst kind of development possible.

Do I think it's too late for Watts? I'm still undecided, he's still a baby by KP standards so maybe there's hope. It comes down to whether his marshmallow heart can be hardened by some tough love (certainly not the pantomine affection on display at the MFC).

It's worth noting that guys like Hawkins, Kennedy and Roughead all struggled early on in their career, this is typical of the uphill battle a KP forward faces when entering the AFL.

For what it's worth, I would roll the dice with Watts if the price was reasonable, an early second rounder would seem reasonable for a former number one pick.

Phantom said:
Though, I must say, I did prefer Natanui over Watts.

In this day and age, gun ruckman rarely fail, that's been proven over and over with the likes of Leuenberger, Ryder, McEvoy, Naitanui, Kreuzer, Vickery, Ottens and McIntosh. The last top ten bomb was nearly ten years ago with a plodder named Meeson, and that was one of the weakest drafts in recent memory.

On the flipside, we've had an inordinate number of KP forwards failing to deliver - Watts, Hanson, Gumbleton, Grant, Henderson, Thorp, Dowler and (Hurley???)

The lesson in all this? If in doubt, pick the talented ruckman ahead of the talented KP forward, unless there's an absolutely ironclad case that the forward will make the grade.

bullus_hit said:
It's worth noting that guys like Hawkins, Kennedy and Roughead all struggled early on in their career, this is typical of the uphill battle a KP forward faces when entering the AFL.

I think its also worth noting that its even more difficult for junior talls to impact at AFL level early doors these days due to the zoning and defensive style of footy.

Somewhat easier to get the footy and get comfortable at the level when it used to be one on one everywhere.

The exceptions to younger KPP impacting early are those who are physicall developed with that natural confidence or just top liners who are elite talents.