Jake Batchelor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jake Batchelor

turk-d-tiger said:
Something inside me say's we will have a crack at Lynch this year and he is getable and wouldnt be for $2 mil but more around the Dusty dollars and wont cost us a draft pick as GC will finish bottom 3 and take the compo
I heard recently there are 4 clubs looking hard at lynch. Collingwood,Carlton, Hawthorn and Richmond.

turk-d-tiger said:
I would agree that had Griifiths retired prior to delistings then Batch would have got another year -But Im happy with the way things have turned out and we have a spot on the list thats vacant as its not really that much of a disadvantage i dont believe

We will have around 350k extra in our cap and we will also develop younger players like Balta,CCj,Miller on the vfl list giving them more exposure

Something inside me say's we will have a crack at Lynch this year and he is getable and wouldnt be for $2 mil but more around the Dusty dollars and wont cost us a draft pick as GC will finish bottom 3 and take the compo
U honestly think we could afford two players on Dusty’s money on the list ,,,crazy

BillyJean17 said:
U honestly think we could afford two players on Dusty’s money on the list ,,,crazy

I sure do and wouldnt be suprised if he was also interested in coming to the tigers

Now if you remember correctly there some things most people forget

* We had a war chest for 3 years prior to getting prestia that went unused but at the same time Jack,Rance,Cotchin were all contracted - Where do you believe these funds were used as the Big Fish never eventuated ? - IMO there was around $800k-$1mil that was available for 3 years that we paid players front end

* Chris Yarran ended up retiring and was mentioned that we came to a settlement of $100k for 2 years and he was let out of his contract saving the club $800k over 2 years
Very Very good chance that Prestia & Caddy recieved a massive salary in their first 2 years due to this windfall as it eventuated after delistings and we ran the list 1 short.

* Ben Griffiths also has now left the club with 1 year to go on his contract and would imagine also saving the club another $300k-$350k

* The Salary cap went up $2,000,000 last year , Now most people will say that players already had this factored this into their contracts but when you look at our higher end players like Rance,Cotchin,Riewoldt their contracts were signed well before any increase was in negotiation and very little chance a 20% increase was expected and highly unlikely this was included and would now be at the back end of their deals.

* The biggest reason i do believe we have enough space in our cap is the demographic of our list consisting of many players that are on less than $100k
Soldo,Miller,Naish,Garthwaite,CCJ,Drummond,Balta,Graham,Menadue,CEllis,Markov,Bolton,Higgins,Townsend,Short,Chol,Moore,Stengle,Baker,D-Egg
Thats 20 players on the list thats between would consist of around $1,400,000 of the TPP of $12.45 million

* This is where it gets even better with our next tier of player - I'll call them C grade as i see them as the 3rd level of payment structure
Broad,Conca,McIntosh,Castagna,Butler,Miles,Lloyd,Nankervis,Hampson - 9 players that would be roughly on the $200k - $250k range (this looks strange with Nank but need to remember that he came on a 3 year deal unproven and with under 10 games - So Roughly another $2 million over 9 players

* B Level paid players would be the following
Grigg,Houli,Grimes,Bellis,Vlastuin,Rioli,Lambert,Edwards,Astbury,Caddy - 10 players that would be in the $350-$450k range roughly $4 mill for these 10 players

* A level salary Range players would consist of our fab 5
Prestia,Cotchin,Riewoldt,Rance roughly $750k each
Dusty Martin $1.2 mil - $4.2 mil for these 5 players

$4.2 mil - A Level
$4.0 Mil - B Level
$2.0 mil - C Level
$1.4 mil - D Level

Thats $11.4 million that i have our players at in 2018 saving over $1 million dollars to be front loaded to Dusty as well as the $2 mil i have us under the cap in 2017 that would have also been pre paid.

* Another Note to keep in mind is the players that will also be unlikely to be on the list in 2019 - Miles,Lloyd,Hampson,Conca,Griffiths - These are all also the players that i have between the $200k- $250k C level range which is another $1mil roughly

Not sure if what i have written is easy to follow but i have tried to make it as simple as i can,Somebody who can do graph is probably better than me with this explanation

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Yet after the Dusty deal I'm sure they said we had no cap room for any trades.

Probably because there was nothing that we wanted in 2017 , Things change quickly the following year.

Well written article and some good insight into an average (with all due respect) AFL player

I was a fan or Jake so I'm happy to read that he has thoroughly enjoyed his career at Tigerland, despite not breaking back into the team.

Thanks for being a great clubman Batch, and good luck for the future!

Good posting, Turk. Makes interesting reading. I really think we must have a real crack at Lynch with JR reaching his possible twilight years - he has great football smarts, of course, but not blessed with high speed and all those injury ops could take a toll.

Our next KP forward already on the list may still take 2/3 years of development and no certainty to make it, whether CMoore, Balta, Miller or CJ (who I see as a ruck replacement anyway).

Nomorewaiting said:
Nice piece written by Jake for the AFLPA.

Worth reading for those who can.

What's that meant to mean?
Are you saying some of us PRE pleps can't read or write?

Sorry seven.

Just realized it was already posted.

Just came across it on the RFC site.

Also what I meant was for those who have access to the RFC and AFL sites....

Nice piece from Jake.

Good on him, seems like a really good bloke, a team player and a good honest stand up guy.

Congratulations on your career Jake well done.

Its a shame you only enjoyed your footy towards the end.

That says alot about the modern game, actually it says everything about the modern game.

Our very own Richard Tambling was no doubt one of these kids that had the flair and instinct coached out of them and he never found his way back, he'd probably say he didnt enjoyn his time as a professional AFL player either.

I dare say this could be in part where the AFL lose alot of the Aboriginal boys from the more remote regions and towns/communities as they play with sheer instinct and abandon showcasing their skills which leads them to be drafted then they end up being re educated into AFL automotons robots like everyone else with the instinct and flair coached right out of them leading to footy not being enjoyable or a passion it becomes a chore and a labor, on top of being away from home.

turk-d-tiger said:
* The biggest reason i do believe we have enough space in our cap is the demographic of our list consisting of many players that are on less than $100k
Soldo,Miller,Naish,Garthwaite,CCJ,Drummond,Balta,Graham,Menadue,CEllis,Markov,Bolton,Higgins,Townsend,Short,Chol,Moore,Stengle,Baker,D-Egg
Thats 20 players on the list thats between would consist of around $1,400,000 of the TPP of $12.45 million

I think you may be underestimating the amounts paid to the younger players.
It's only when you look at the CBA that you realise how big the player payment amounts are.
I know I was a bit shocked when I first read them a few years ago.
It's one of the reasons why I take all the press estimates of player contracts with a big pinch of salt.

For all players over second year their base is $105,000 and match fee is $5,000 for 2018
That includes Lloyd, Soldo, Lambert, Castagna, Short, Butler, Drummond, Menadue, C Ellis, Broad, Markov and Rioli.

A base amount, a match fee and a bonus match fee is applicable for newer players.
An example of the base amounts would be $80,200 for Bolton and $76,000 for Graham.
A match fee of $4300 is payable for each match and a bonus of up to $12,000 can also be due. (I must admit I really don't know how they work out the bonus)
I may be wrong, but I work out that Bolton got $80,200 + $25,800 (6 games) + $12,000 bonus = $118,000
Graham would get $76,000 + $21500 + $12,000 = $109,500

Higgins and Coleman-Jones as top 20 recruits get $95,000, $4,000 match fee and a bonus of $12,000 in 2018.
Balta and Naish get a base of $85,000 and the same match and bonus fees.
Miller gets $80,000 base and the same fees.

Here is the CBA. The amounts mandated run from page 66.
http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-2022-CBA.pdf

Note these are minimums according to the CBA.
Also a recruit can sign a longer contract early before their minimum two year initial contract which would significantly increase their payments.
Would you sign Graham to a long term deal now?

Craig, in the interview with Rance he also went to the problem of being a chore versus a passion. Very interesting from a senior and successful player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxchwLp-tAs&feature=youtu.be

Nomorewaiting said:
Sorry seven.

All good ;D

Nomorewaiting said:
Sorry seven.

It was in the afl players site and tweeted out earlier which is by I posted it. Afl picked it up from there I assume

RedanTiger said:
I think you may be underestimating the amounts paid to the younger players.
It's only when you look at the CBA that you realise how big the player payment amounts are.
I know I was a bit shocked when I first read them a few years ago.
It's one of the reasons why I take all the press estimates of player contracts with a big pinch of salt.

For all players over second year their base is $105,000 and match fee is $5,000 for 2018
That includes Lloyd, Soldo, Lambert, Castagna, Short, Butler, Drummond, Menadue, C Ellis, Broad, Markov and Rioli.

A base amount, a match fee and a bonus match fee is applicable for newer players.
An example of the base amounts would be $80,200 for Bolton and $76,000 for Graham.
A match fee of $4300 is payable for each match and a bonus of up to $12,000 can also be due. (I must admit I really don't know how they work out the bonus)
I may be wrong, but I work out that Bolton got $80,200 + $25,800 (6 games) + $12,000 bonus = $118,000
Graham would get $76,000 + $21500 + $12,000 = $109,500

Higgins and Coleman-Jones as top 20 recruits get $95,000, $4,000 match fee and a bonus of $12,000 in 2018.
Balta and Naish get a base of $85,000 and the same match and bonus fees.
Miller gets $80,000 base and the same fees.
Bonus is paid according to the amount of senior games played during the season. Three groupings of $4000 bonus. 1 to 5 games. 5 to 10 games. 11 plus games. Each bracket gets a $4000 performance bonus up to a maximum of $12000 bonus.
Second year players last year would have got $100,000 base plus $4,300 per senior game played plus bonus according to the amount of senior games played for the year. As a second year player, someone like Georgie playing every game, would have got $100,000 base plus $94,600 match payments plus $12,000 bonus for the home and away season $206,600 and then whatever match payments and prize money share for finals and flag win. Better than a smack in the ear for farting in church that's for sure.

TigerMasochist said:
Bonus is paid according to the amount of senior games played during the season. Three groupings of $4000 bonus. 1 to 5 games. 5 to 10 games. 11 plus games. Each bracket gets a $4000 performance bonus up to a maximum of $12000 bonus.
Second year players last year would have got $100,000 base plus $4,300 per senior game played plus bonus according to the amount of senior games played for the year. As a second year player, someone like Georgie playing every game, would have got $100,000 base plus $94,600 match payments plus $12,000 bonus for the home and away season $206,600 and then whatever match payments and prize money share for finals and flag win. Better than a smack in the ear for farting in church that's for sure.

Thanks for that TM.
Reinforces my belief that what players in the mid-range get is a lot more bunched and higher than we commonly think.

PS Excuse my aimless rambling ATM. I'm so bored with summer TV and I can't possibly watch the GF AGAIN. Seven times is enough for the moment. Training videos tell me little and 780 GF photos are TOOO many. I'm reduced to watching Dusty's underwear ad and getting irate cause I can't get the AFL promo featuring Dusty to play. I'm even looking forward to watching the AFLW and AFLX. God help me and the first pre-season is still over 3 weeks away.