Jess Hosking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jess Hosking

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
This is not the right thread for womens" footy but as it is a headline on the website that can't be named it is worthy of note.
Have not seen the papers today, but being Richmond, will no doubt receive quite a bit of negative press.
Not exactly the worst offence in the world, but stupid, as it could have ended in an injury to someone.

RICHMOND midfielder/forward Jess Hosking has been charged with driving a jet ski while intoxicated during a holiday in Queensland.

Hosking was charged over the weekend, with the Tigers confirming the alleged incident to womens.afl on Wednesday.

"Richmond is aware of an incident in Queensland over the weekend involving AFLW player Jess Hosking," the club wrote in a statement.

"Hosking has been charged for driving a jet ski while under the influence of alcohol.

"The AFL has been informed of the incident and as this matter is currently under investigation by Queensland Police we are unable to make any further comment."

Hosking was on holiday with teammates Grace Egan and Eilish Sheerin at the time.

Just as predicted.
One of the middle pages in today's paper has a half page report on this incident.
Went so far as to intimate that a gaol sentence is one of the penalty options.

Just as predicted.
One of the middle pages in today's paper has a half page report on this incident.
Went so far as to intimate that a gaol sentence is one of the penalty options.

I guess if nothing else this suggests that the women’s game is continuing to grow in stature against the men’s game.

People do need to understand that this is a serious offence. Drink driving anything is dangerous to the driver and those around them.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess if nothing else this suggests that the women’s game is continuing to grow in stature against the men’s game.

People do need to understand that this is a serious offence. Drink driving anything is dangerous to the driver and those around them.
Totally agree Streak.
The point I was making was due to it being a Tiger player it gets big publicity.
if it was Snowy on the tram, as the saying goes, it would not have been reported at all.
Wonder if it was a Cat or Magpie if it would have been given such prominence.

Completely agree, it's certainly not a joke. I can look out my window any day through the summer and see morons roaring around on jet-skis, and they can and do cause serious accidents with swimmers and other water craft.

Using one pissed somewhere like the Gold Coast is asking for trouble.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s a fine line between drink driving and a serious incident or death. Basically a roll of the dice. Penalties for losing the roll of the dice not minor for perpetrator and clearly any victims and their families.

This woman seems like a real *smile*. I’d be inviting her to play out her melodrama at another club.

• Dislike
She was clearly doing something stupid on the jet-ski for the police to get involved in the first place. A few #lolroos short in the top paddock me thinks

Last edited:
How much of the onus is on the jet ski hirer to ensure customers are sober and understand the laws about alcohol on the water? I'm sure many holidaymakers don't pause to think whether DUI applies to jet skis.

How much of the onus is on the jet ski hirer to ensure customers are sober and understand the laws about alcohol on the water? I'm sure many holidaymakers don't pause to think whether DUI applies to jet skis.
When i've hired them before the focus of the hire company on safety was zero. It was like hiring a scooter in Bali. Hand over your credit card details to cover any damage and its yours. They don't even check if you can ride, or not, first. With a top speed of over 80kph the lack of care is a joke.

Last edited:
Totally agree Streak.
The point I was making was due to it being a Tiger player it gets big publicity.
if it was Snowy on the tram, as the saying goes, it would not have been reported at all.
Wonder if it was a Cat or Magpie if it would have been given such prominence.

Valid point Graystar, and I understood that is what you were getting at.

I sort of hijacked your intent with my post. Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound as if I was taking the high moral ground.

This woman seems like a real *smile*. I’d be inviting her to play out her melodrama at another club.

Disagree. The Hoskings are good PR for the team. With AFLW still pushing to get more acceptance, having an extrovert like Jess is a good thing on balance.

And that's not condoning intoxicated Jet Skiing or intoxicated anything.

Reactions: 4 users
Disagree. The Hoskings are good PR for the team. With AFLW still pushing to get more acceptance, having an extrovert like Jess is a good thing on balance.

And that's not condoning intoxicated Jet Skiing or intoxicated anything.
LOL - Ask Benny how he feels about Jess's PR at the moment and confident you'd get a different response.

Valid point Graystar, and I understood that is what you were getting at.

I sort of hijacked your intent with my post. Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound as if I was taking the high moral ground.
All good Streak. Everyone is entitled their opinion, be it footy, politics, or whatever.
That is how it used to be anyway, but not do much these days, due to PC.

It’s a fine line between drink driving and a serious incident or death. Basically a roll of the dice. Penalties for losing the roll of the dice not minor for perpetrator and clearly any victims and their families.

I know a young man who ended up with an 8 year sentence for a crash which was clearly the other driver's fault, because he was over .05.

The other driver was going like a maniac, crashed into him and died, but in the eyes of the law he was responsible because he was ever so slightly over the limit.

Reactions: 1 user
Why put the onus back to the hirer?She was drinking so the onus falls back on her.It is called being responsible for one's actions.

I must be channeling my inner The Big Richo Richo today. It is a heavy gig I can tell you!

I don't think she should be condemned without knowing the full story. She clearly stuffed up, she will suffer the consequences.

Completely agree, it's certainly not a joke. I can look out my window any day through the summer and see morons roaring around on jet-skis, and they can and do cause serious accidents with swimmers and other water craft.

Using one pissed somewhere like the Gold Coast is asking for trouble.

'Gold Coast Jet Skier rides completely sober'

Theres a headline.

FFS we dont pay male afl players anywhere near enough to own their private lives,

Let alone the women

If your not plastered, riding a jetski with a stubby on holidays is fine with me. Roads are windy and narrow, GC broadwater is straight and vast.

what happened to fun?

Reactions: 3 users
Why put the onus back to the hirer?She was drinking so the onus falls back on her.It is called being responsible for one's actions.

Fair call and I agree, but legal system doesn't work that way.

In June 2017 I was on holiday in Italy and we visited the Cinque Terra.

Some of the walks you can do in that area are breathtaking, but also extremely dangerous. I said to our host that in Australia, you'd never see walks like that. We are talking 2 foot wide walking tracks on cliffs about 300m above rocks and the sea with a straight fall.

Our host said that in Italy, the legal system operates on the basis that while all due precaution is taken, you undertake the activity at your own risk.