AFL thieving bastards at it again | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFL thieving bastards at it again

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Noticed a short mention on seven news tonight how Gilligan n his cronies have ripped off the leagues only financially viable clubs once again. Bastards set up an emergency AFL covid slush fund by hitting up four clubs, I think it was the Tiges, Hawforn, Colonwood n Wet Coke for two mill each, I'm guessing by cutting our official distribution share. Just in case things went pear shaped during covid and they needed some urgent splash money.

Dirty thieving bastards have now turned around and instead of returning these unused funds to the clubs it was withheld from have generously shared the eight million dollars with all eighteen clubs.

Bloody waste of time and effort bothering to be well run and self sufficient because it's guaranteed that old Comrade Gilligan will find a way to bend you over n back door you. Every other club in the comp should hang their heads in shame and refuse to receive these stolen funds, won't happen purely because most of the clubs in the comp are insolvent snivellers who simply grovel cap in hand to Gilligan for more money year after year.

• Angry
  • Dislike
Reactions: 15 users
I see the AFL didn't steal $1.6mil off Geesook - what a surprise not!

This is why Benny won't get the job. Because we went to war with Gilligan and his Gestapo on the soft cap amongst other things. He is seen as too club focused for those Muppets

Reactions: 4 users
Noticed a short mention on seven news tonight how Gilligan n his cronies have ripped off the leagues only financially viable clubs once again. Bastards set up an emergency AFL covid slush fund by hitting up four clubs, I think it was the Tiges, Hawforn, Colonwood n Wet Coke for two mill each, I'm guessing by cutting our official distribution share. Just in case things went pear shaped during covid and they needed some urgent splash money.

Dirty thieving bastards have now turned around and instead of returning these unused funds to the clubs it was withheld from have generously shared the eight million dollars with all eighteen clubs.

Bloody waste of time and effort bothering to be well run and self sufficient because it's guaranteed that old Comrade Gilligan will find a way to bend you over n back door you. Every other club in the comp should hang their heads in shame and refuse to receive these stolen funds, won't happen purely because most of the clubs in the comp are insolvent snivellers who simply grovel cap in hand to Gilligan for more money year after year.
Yep. Can't believe why the $80m was refunded to 18 clubs pro-rata???? Should've gone back to the 4 clubs.

This news is just *smile*.
It's actually wrong.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Gilligan has destroyed the game

We are slowly becoming the T20 version of AFL.

People are just walking away.

A fun week in Adelaide. Why?

• Haha
what are the facts then TBR?

So there are two types of AFL funding clubs receive, standard and variable.

What this is talking about is the standard funding being cut by $2 million dollars, from $10 to $8 million for every single club in the competition. The reason that was significant was it meant for the first time the AFL weren't covering the full 'basics' like the salary cap.

Four clubs, us, Hawthorn, West Coast and Collingwood don't receive any variable funding because we are currently financially strong. That hasn't always been the case, we are about mid-table for variable funding over the past decade. It ebbs and flows depending on what you need at the time, or don't need. So in this instance the 2 million cut to the standard distribution meant those four clubs were 2 million down, because they could afford to be. But the thought the AFL took 2 million for a rainy day and then decided to share it out instead of giving it back is nonsense.

The variable funding model is essential if you want an equal competition because clubs don't have equal resources in terms of supporter bases etc. Otherwise West Coast would win 9/10 flags.

This is also very old news, no idea why it is suddenly an issue. You can read it all in these:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...e-8-million-hit-from-afl-20211209-p59g85.html

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...t/news-story/20542933202b3591ae1756cba7181bd4

Reactions: 5 users
Meanwhile McLachan’s salary will remain a secret, as I’m sure his big fat final payout will be.

• Angry
Why would he get a payout, he resigned? He would get his leave balances, that’s it.

Anything else is a rort
His salary being a secret is a rort, the AFL is the so-called peoples game.
McLachan’s resignation was supposed to take effect at the completion of the 2022 season.
You can bet your bottom dollar that he has negotiated a secret performance based payout for when he finally does walk, as I’m sure he won’t being doing it for nothing.

I'm sure - like most executives- he'll get his bonuses paid out for things like the TV rights etc. If he's earned a bonus that was in his contract, he should get paid it. Everyone here would want to be treated that way. It's only fair.
The amounts these bonuses come out to I have a problem with, not the fact he'll get them, even in a pro rated form. The volumes of cash are excessive and unnecessary. But that's a problem with all executive bonuses and salaries and not unique to the AFL.

Gilligan is a private school elitist campaigner that has *smile* over our game for the reasons of self-interest.

Surrounded himself with his mates that run the comp like its theirs to do with as they please.

I didn't like Demestos but FMD Gilligan is multiple levels of campaigner above him.

Dillion is just another Old Xav's puppet that will hold the fort until another sneaky campaigner is identified. I've met him before and comes across as socially inept. The sort of kid that hung around on the edge of the cool kid gang but never said anything in case they noticed he was there and decided to boot him from the group.

The fact he got the job in front of Benny is a *smile* joke.

He is entrenched in the boy's club and will tow the company line which includes shafting us at every opportunity.

Last edited:
I didn't like Demestos but FMD Gilligan is multiple levels of campaigner above him.

I have a friend who works for the AFL. Reckons Demetriou and Gillon are as chalk and cheese as you can get.

Demetriou for all his faults was a people man and cared for the staff he had at AFL house. He knew their names, he'd go and have Friday drinks with them, play in the pool comps they organised etc. etc. Was really sincere in his praise of his people as well.

Gil on the other hand, prefers to stay away from the lower echelons of the business. The staff generally don't relate to him. AFL house is very awkward when he decides to come and mingle. My friend recalled a Christmas party in the early days when Gil clearly didn't feel comfortable being there, and the staff felt the same way. Which is really sad when you think about it.

Reactions: 6 users
One word corruption and hypocrisy. How wasn't the money returned through if it was only for covid relief and then not needed ?. It's not like covid didn't affect us we had to let go of staff and footy spending got cut like all clubs now all is back to normal that's money we can spend on ourselves not top up clubs.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a friend who works for the AFL. Reckons Demetriou and Gillon are as chalk and cheese as you can get.

Demetriou for all his faults was a people man and cared for the staff he had at AFL house. He knew their names, he'd go and have Friday drinks with them, play in the pool comps they organised etc. etc. Was really sincere in his praise of his people as well.

Gil on the other hand, prefers to stay away from the lower echelons of the business. The staff generally don't relate to him. AFL house is very awkward when he decides to come and mingle. My friend recalled a Christmas party in the early days when Gil clearly didn't feel comfortable being there, and the staff felt the same way. Which is really sad when you think about it.
But the common thread is corruption.

Reactions: 1 user