Jim Giannopoulos Potential Board Member Exclusive Interview | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jim Giannopoulos Potential Board Member Exclusive Interview

rbartlett

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 6, 2003
www.rhettrospective.com
:Log on to www.rhettrospective.com for my exclusive one on one 10 questions with potential Richmond board member Jim Giannopoulos.

He speaks openly about his visions for Richmond, his opinion on the current board, and his love for Richmond.

Regards
Rhett Bartlett
www.rhettrospective.com

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
"...even if RFC fails to perform on field as has been the case over the past few years, adequate revenue generation will ensure positive cash flow for the RFC and the ability for the identification and allocation of resources, ensuring the long term future of the club."

This guy sounds like a half-baked accountant with a Breretonesque penchant for imitating corporate-speak. God help us if he gets elected.

Great, so "adequate revenue generation" leads to "positive cash flow".... yeah mate, in other words - if the club has money, this leads to it having money.

Furthermore, this also leads to "the ability for the identification and allocation of resources". And what does this mean exactly? What "resources" are these? What does this mysterious "ability" refer to? I'm sure "allocation" is a key to success!

I've heard more sense from a Danny Frawley press conference.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Words of a wanker!

We need constructive words, words that actually mean something to the average tiger supporter. eg dud, tin rattling, sackings, broke, feral, mediocrity, rejects, over the hill, etc etc etc!!!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
It's interesting that in reply to the question "Are there current board members you support?" both Jim and David only mentioned the three members seeking re-nomination.

They both supported Tony Jewell and Peter Welsh but neither knew much about Gary March's role as a director.

That makes me wonder if the guys nominating for the board have such little knowledge about what each current board member contributes how are we meant to know who to vote for?

How do we know Jim and David will do better for the RFC when we don't know what the others contribute anyway?

Has anyone here voted before? Do you intend to vote this time?

Confusing! :undecidedsanta

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
There may be alternative ways the RFC
can look at revenue generation, membership strategies, operational efficiencies
and any strategic issues to ensure the RFC remains financially healthy over the
longer term

Isn't this exactly what Ian CAMPBELL has done.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Personally I'd like to see all the underachievers currently wasting away on the RFC board kicked out and forced to apologies to supporters ;D. But what is the point in replacing the likes of Welsh, the Colonal and March with Giannopoulos?

Based on that interview he will provide nothing of any significance to the board and many of his policies regarding revenue and membership are being implemented by Campbell anyway. But most importantly he has no plan for on field success, and has no skills that could possibly contribute in this area.

Knowone wants to support a loser club no matter how many pairs of sunny's or other gimmicks you throw at them. The RFC cannot afford to go another 20+ years without a premiership and we need people on the board who recognise this and can actually do something about it.

Unfortunately neither the incumbants or the challangers seem up to the task so i guess its better the devil you know...

Tiger in a Tube

Richmond Redeemer
Sep 11, 2003
www.puntroad.com
Diggler's summed it up.

Jim (while clearly articulate) uses language that exactly that of a MBA, verbing words and coming up with lots of vague statements that don't actually mean anything to anyone other than an MBA. Answers to questons that involve responses like;

"we needed to look at other avenues for revenue and cash flow creation. "

are simply not going to wash unless you say how. And don't say "more corporate sponsers", say how. Is he going to go cold calling? Is he going to get lists of prominant supporters and get in their ear? Is he going to go to cotorie groups and demand that they sign up 3 of their friends every year?

Jim uses a corporate language that doesn't engage everyday tiger supporters. It's not what we need more of at Tigerland. Ian Campbell has that angle more than covered.

Sorry Jim, but you've come across as self-aggrandising, elitist and offering lot of what we already got.

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
I don't think that someone who's current expertise is as a Business Analyst should be holding down Board level positions. His skill sets are more in line with an operational role, possibly assisting the club's finance area.

A board level position should be distinct from the day to day operation of the entity with the view of providing strategic direction and governance without being compromised by the operation detail.

The only board member who is involved at an operational level is the Chief Executive Officer.

This is a generalisation across corporations in general and should also hold true for the Richmond Football Club.

Aside from this, the burning question that was missed is: Are you any relation to Nick Giannopoulos? ;D

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
TigerFury said:
I don't think that someone who's current expertise is as a Business Analyst should be holding down Board level positions. His skill sets are more in line with an operational role, possibly assisting the club's finance area.

What is David Clayton's profession. I think it's computer ner...... technician or something.
Is that more appropriate for a board postion?

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
"Hi fellow members ,I want to line my ...aah hmmph... make Richmond football club the most profitable team in 3 years."

Yeah-pig's arse ;D

TigerFury

Eloquent Feral
Dec 19, 2002
Belgrave
rosy3 said:
TigerFury said:

What is David Clayton's profession. I think it's computer ner...... technician or something.
Is that more appropriate for a board postion?

I would suggest that a computer nerd is the very person you DON'T want on the board! If there is anyone who is more focused on the detail instead of the big picture, it is a computer geek!

Trust me! I've first hand knowledge of this! ;D

blacktiger01

Tiger Cub
Nov 6, 2003
At least Clayton and Giannopoulos are nominating for the board. We need new blood and an election.
Anyone think they can do better should also nominate.

tigertuff75

Tiger Cub
Oct 8, 2003
Unreal isn't it....the lengths some blokes will go to just to get a free meal at a President's Luncheon!!!

Neither of these blokes would get my vote. Everything they have mentioned is just what every corporate in the world wants - revenue & success. Do they reckon the current board and senior mgmt aren't already working to achieve that goal?

Take Ian Campbell for instance - although not a board member, that bloke has one of the best business brains going around and RFC are lucky to have landed him. Now he has been there less than 12 months and look at the changes being implemented: membership drive (aka: reswamped sales approach), outsourcing makes sense in certain areas, sourcing sponsorship, etc, etc....

This is what creates revenue and provide the working capital required to carry on and he has simply taken different appraoches that are obviously working.

Sorry but I have no faith in the current nominations.....