John Howard's Apathy towards the AFL | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

John Howard's Apathy towards the AFL

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
I understand Howard could not attend the Grand Final because of his daughter's wedding. However, what prevented him attending some of the finals or even some home-and-away games last season :eek:.

I know Simon Crean showed up for the Roos/ Geelong game in Canberra so why couldn't Howard show up for the Roos/ Swans game a few weeks earlier? Alternatively, why not show up for the Sydney/ Brisbane final? It did involve the team of his home city after all (that has played in finals just once since the 1940s)!.

It was innapropriate that no Aussie Rules stars were invited to the BBQ with George W Bush given the number of sports stars invited and the fact the crowd was supposed to represent a X-section of the community.

John Eales was the sole footballer there and I can't understand what he offers over someone like Ron Barassi. Don't say it's because Eales led the Australians to victory in the last World Cup!. The blood and guts needed to get to number 1 in the AFL are as much as those needed to get to number 1 in the World Cup.

Pure and simple, the PM doesn't care much for Aussie Rules evidently which is a disgrace given he's always talking about representing the views of all Australians. It's doubly digraceful when you think Aussie Rules is the only truly national football code and should therefore attract his attention as leader of the WHOLE nation! :mad:

zacs56

Watch out, the Tigers are coming to get you!
Mar 31, 2003
Maybe G W Bush didn't give permission to go for he doesn't under stand aussie rules 8) 8) 8)

ozserpico66

Tiger Rookie
Oct 12, 2003
Bulleen
For Christ's sake you love to nit pick dont you.

First you were crying that the Wallabies were training at Punt Road now you weep because the Prime Minister didn't attend some AFL finals.

Who gives a SH#T if he attends or not. What possible value is there to the game by having the Prime Minister attend.

God life must be boring in Canberra.

Serg

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The prime minister sends his deepest apologies...........he would have attended had he not been so busy kissing Bush's arse the past year. The grovelling little fool.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I can't see little Johnny's attendance at an AFL final making any difference in the grand scheme of things.

The less hob nobs the better.

Give the grand final back to the grass roots fans who follow their team through highs and lows, in sunshine or rain, week in week out.

I'd like to see that. :eek:

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Personally, I was happy that John Howard didnt attend the Grand Final.

Why should that prick get a free ticket to the grand final ? let someone who actually follows the game, go and enjoy it.

You shouldnt mix politics and sport together.

Omarkum

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 19, 2003
Why anybody would crave the recognition of some one so low on the humanity scale as Howard or Bush is beyond me. Howard is so bad that he used the plight of people (so desparate that they took to the sea in leaky boats) and lied to the Australian people that they were throwing their kids into the water!!

If you would like more info on the Crimes of these monsters , well just ask and I would be pleased to bring you up to speed . Sadly it can truely be said that Osama Bin Laden has nothing on these creeps.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I thought this was supposed to be a FOOTBALL forum.
How about we leave all political crap for drunken pub discussions? The next thing we know we will have people on here going on about how Adolph and Vlad were great blokes. Footy Footy and more Footy stuff take the other crap elsewhere!

ozserpico66

Tiger Rookie
Oct 12, 2003
Bulleen
TigerMasochist said:
I thought this was supposed to be a FOOTBALL forum.
How about we leave all political crap for drunken pub discussions? The next thing we know we will have people on here going on about how Adolph and Vlad were great blokes. Footy Footy and more Footy stuff take the other crap elsewhere!

Here is here..

It seems that Punt Road is starting to turn into an outpost of the Kremlim. ::)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Is John Howard exclusive as a PM not attending the AFL grand final?

Bob Hawke and the America's Cup and cricket seem to go hand in hand.

John Howard's face seems to dominate the telly screen at tennis finals.

I can't really think of any Prime Minister who's attended Aussie Rules grand finals but I'd imagine Howard isn't the only non-show amongst them.

As for the discussion about political events that affect our country I'd be particularly interested to know anyones solution to the boat people saga. (From a humanitarian rather than a political point scoring viewpoint)

That discussion would be more appropriate on the general board though.

Discussing political issues would be fine, though I imagine it could get unpleasant at times. Using the forum to campaign for one party or another isn't appropriate though.

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
ozserpico66 said:

It seems that Punt Road is starting to turn into an outpost of the Kremlim. ::)

ozserpico66,

i appreciate your evident close attention to my posts (re; wallabies reference), however object to this inference about my most recent remarks.

my post advocated that john howard should consider more public support of aussie rules, given it is the dominant winter sport in this country and now played in every state. in particular, i suggested he should consider showing more support for the sydney swans, given they are the team of his home city and had a phenomenal season 2003.

further, i had advocated that, since the guests were supposed to be reflective of australian society and included representatives from most other major australian sports, an AFL icon should have been invited to the BBQ with president bush.

agreed, in the broad scheme of things (world famine, rising crime etc), these are trivialities, however I thought such remarks may provoke a little response at this, one of the slower times of the football calendar. by all means criticise what I had to say, however I would thank you to leave my comments in their original context.

at no stage did I mention russia or the former soviet union and i certainly have not presented a dissertation on the advantages/ disadvantages of forced collectivisation!. nevertheless, YOU mentioned the Kremlin for whatever reason. if anyone is guilty of politicisation, it would be you.

again, you're welcome to present arguments in response to my remarks, but please leave them in their original context and there is really no need to denigrate the home of over 350000 people.

THANKYOU- I look forward to posting with you in the future.

PS- Having said that, and in accordance with rosy's directive, if anyone posts political comment on the general talk thread i'd certainly read it and probably comment.

omarkum- i'd be interested to hear what you had to say on bush & howard, if you're willing to start a new thread in general talk. i read your take on the 2nd anniversary of sept 11 in general talk much earlier in the year and found it an alternative viewpoint. it's good to hear two sides of a story at times even if i don't agree sometimes...

Omarkum

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 19, 2003
Very nicely put Canbera. Frank discussion that genuinely try's to seek the truth is badly needed in these terrible times.

Uncomfortable fact's are often dismissed with accusation's that the speaker is a Stalinist or a Hitlerite. these days to even raise the idea that we have unleashed, supported and financed mass terror and thus have a substantial hand in the equally criminal (though numerically smaller ) acts of terror against us, will have you being branded a supporter of terrorism.

To quote an American General, Saddam hussein was " Our monster" as long as he was using our gas to massacre who we wanted him too. Ditto on the monster front with Bin Laden and the Taliban.

And seeing that someone mentioned Pol Pot; when the Vietnamese exposed and ended his reign of terror in Cambodia , we supported and supplied him too! Even kept him his seat on the U.N. Sadly, this is not crap, I wish it were.

I do agree that General Talk is the best place for such discussions,then only those of us who are interested can pursue ideas. I work nightshift so I probably wont get a post in for a day or two ....

Oh wer'e from Tigerland, a fighting fury.......

Best wishes to you all

Dan Warna

I drink therefore I yam said the alcoholic spud
Aug 8, 2003
I hear that the poor fellows in the white house had to go for invasive surgery during the recent visit by howard to The USA, which was why so many congressmen and senior officials stayed AWAY from meetings with our PM.

the "HOwardectomy" is a surgical process to remove from your posterior a wedged runty PM...

I hear they are "battening down the hatches" for when Downer goes over...

YOu gotta feel sorry for the poor pommes, they didn't do any that evil to have downer and Howard being involuntary butt plugs...

That sort of thing however does seem popular when the Conservatives are in power, but you need black plastic bags and stilletos, I don't even our liberals are that sick.

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
Dan Warna said:
I hear that the poor fellows in the white house had to go for invasive surgery during the recent visit by howard to The USA, which was why so many congressmen and senior officials stayed AWAY from meetings with our PM.

the "HOwardectomy" is a surgical process to remove from your posterior a wedged runty PM...

I hear they are "battening down the hatches" for when Downer goes over...

YOu gotta feel sorry for the poor pommes, they didn't do any that evil to have downer and Howard being involuntary butt plugs...

That sort of thing however does seem popular when the Conservatives are in power, but you need black plastic bags and stilletos, I don't even our liberals are that sick.

;D ;D ;D ;D

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
I guess Mrs Howard would have killed Little Johnny if he missed his only daughter's wedding. Maybe he doesn't follow the Lions or the Magpies either.

ozserpico66

Tiger Rookie
Oct 12, 2003
Bulleen
Its really funny how there is so much hatred for Bush and Howard who are two leaders ELECTED by the population of their respective countries.

I dont hear any such hatred of the leaders of China, the Middle East (bar Turkey) who do NOT have popularly elected leaders, yet somehow Bush and Howard are the tyrants...

Good or bad at least these guys can be voted out at the next election., you cant do that in China, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan etc etc

Perhaps you would all prefer to live in a society without democratically elected leaders, or is it simply that you cannot stand the fact that your beloved Labor Party is not in office. Surely having Labor leader sin every state would give you some comfort at night ;D

Can we please get back to Football talk

Dan Warna

I drink therefore I yam said the alcoholic spud
Aug 8, 2003
nah labor are just as morally bankrupts as the liberals...lol

as for elected, well gore got more votes than bush, and subsequent counts showed that gore won florida, however the corrupt republican dog governor brother Jeb, and his pet dog commish made sure that a free and open and fair election wasn't going to happen in redknecksville, where de gool ol' boys still shoot de blacks and keep the injuns in a swamp (yes I have been to florida)

Gore was a bore, but bush has a criminal scumbag element running the govt, including napalm rummy and his stooge patrol

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
humph - mighty righteous of u, serg, to exhort us to get back to football talk while you provide a little blast of political commentary of your own ::)

seeing as this thread has now been shunted to general talk due to your political ramblings, i would just point out that my voting policy is to put the sitting members last. hence i am not affiliated with either the labor or liberal parties, although i take it you are a mite partial to the latter of these two, right? ;).

also, at the risk of being labelled a communist sympathiser by your good self, i would just echo dan warna's comments regarding the questions surrounding whether Bush actually WAS democratically elected as you assert.