John Northey | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

John Northey

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I was surprised to read Leon Daphne's comments in the paper last week saying that Northey contacted the club to express an interest in the coaching job after the 1999 season, before Danny got the job.

Was that public knowledge back then? I don't know if it's something that we were never told about or if it's something I've forgotten along the way.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
If i remember , Northey turned his back on us, I think he was henpecked by his lady at the time. ;)

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
It was definately in the papers at the time Rosy. Our response was thanks but no thanks.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks Boss, my oldtimers is getting worse than I thought. ;D I don't remember that at all. Then again I don't really remember who all the other applicants were either, or which clubs they chose ahead of Richmond.
I think the Cats was one?

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Don't remember Northey approaching the club either. Of those that we went after at the end of 1999:

Sheedy - remained at Essendon
Thomson - to Geelong
Judge - to West Coast

Not sure about:
Schwab - to Hawthorn

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
mightytiges said:
Don't remember Northey approaching the club either. Of those that we went after at the end of 1999:

Sheedy - remained at Essendon
Thomson - to Geelong
Judge - to West Coast

Not sure about:
Schwab - to Hawthorn

They also spoke to Malthouse & did interview Schwab

Tiger icon

He coaches like Tony Shaw!
Jul 24, 2003
Gaddy Lyon doesn't even rate as coaching material in my book. He had a highly decorated career at the Melb.f.c. (my point exactly). Maybe he could get the boys to read his pathetic childrens books but they too were completely over rated, just as he was as a player
and possible coach.It's very easy to watch a game from the commentary box and pass judgement (as we all know) ,but reality is the guy's a total moron.
I witnessed him throwing ice cubes at patrons of a certain Port Melbourne pub at the Footy show final show after party and then denying it was him (wish i had a camera that night) We certainly don't need a shi_man like him at Punt Rd,especially in any type of leadership role.