Kane Lambert | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kane Lambert

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I would hazard a guess if Lambert is going to be a senior coach he will go to another club as an assistant at some point. I dont think too many tick with 1 club from playing to assistant coach to senior coach. Buckley (ignoring his 1 year at Brissie), Hird, Voss the 1st time around? Probably a theme there of "club legends" whose ego got in the way of good process.
I don’t believe you need to go to another club. He is learning from the best right now. Where else would he get a better grounding?

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I don’t believe you need to go to another club. He is learning from the best right now. Where else would he get a better grounding?
Yep, Paul Roos didn't go anywhere. He played for the Swans, became an assistant to Eade after he retired, and then replaced him as coach when he got the flick.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Wouldn't complain if Lamblett did a couple years development with us, then went n did a couple of years assistant with someone like Fly or Clarko just to get a sniff of how other clubs go about things. Gunna be needing to get a proper four or five year grounding before he sniffs around for a senior job if that's his future target.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
But that would be the reason he would need to go to another club. Think about it. He’s learning how to do things the right way now and learning from the best. He needs to learn how to do the wrong things so he can avoid doing those should he decide to become a senior coach. He would need to learn from the worst. As a random example, maybe go to Geelong like grigga so he knows how to choke in finals, ( learn from the best in that) then take those lessons when he turns to coaching And avoid falling into that trap

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Get your point, but unfortunately for us is, if and when he throws his hat in the ring for a senior gig, his CV will always look better having experienced 3 or 4 clubs.
Even heard Balmey say in an interview today that everytime he moved he felt he became a better operator (or words to that effect). So you'd have to think that's possibly the advice someone like Neil would give to Kane IMO.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Must be a pretty long list of ex-richmond players that are still in the league

Off the top of my head
Grigg
Newman
Bachelor
Chapman
Jackson
Maric
Morris
Conca (?)
Thursfield
Stafford
Rance

Have i missed anyone?

Reactions: 1 user

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Matty Francis still involved with the AFL. He has a bar in Saigon which has the footy on the big screen. A great marketeer for the Dockland dickheads

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Can he coach? Hope so.

I do love Morro but I would back Lambo's nous to coach our VFL side instead of Steve but don't all coaches need to do the accreditation course first these days?
On our VFL side, we did have a very young side this year and some of our youngest players got to experience their debut this year in Gibcus, Sonsie and Clarke so development as a whole is looking good.
I just think Lambo would be better on system and how to school them how to play the Richmond way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Matty Francis still involved with the AFL. He has a bar in Saigon which has the footy on the big screen. A great marketeer for the Dockland dickheads
Which one ST?

Matty was one of my favourite (non elite) tiges. He was Mcbeanish before Liam was. Does he wear long sleeves in Saigon?

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
More evidence of what a stalwart of the club has been Lambert.
This from Short.

Getting better each year has become a habit for Short.

He just missed out on the 2017 premiership team, then busted a gut to make the cut in 2019 before winning Richmond's best and fairest in the 2020 triumph.

"That's (improving each year) something I've strived to do since the day I walked in the doors," he said.

"I had a pretty good mentor in (recently retired Tiger) Kane Lambert who showed me the ropes early days.

"He got drafted at 23. I was 18. I didn't have much of an idea of what hard work was to be honest.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Lambo was at training yesterday in his training gear and boots on. Just kicking balls back to the players but I'm sure he would love to be out there tonight

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
More evidence of what a stalwart of the club has been Lambert.
This from Short.

Getting better each year has become a habit for Short.

He just missed out on the 2017 premiership team, then busted a gut to make the cut in 2019 before winning Richmond's best and fairest in the 2020 triumph.

"That's (improving each year) something I've strived to do since the day I walked in the doors," he said.

"I had a pretty good mentor in (recently retired Tiger) Kane Lambert who showed me the ropes early days.

"He got drafted at 23. I was 18. I didn't have much of an idea of what hard work was to be honest.

Yep Shorty was one of the names that escaped me, just add him to the list :)