Kane McAuliffe | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kane McAuliffe

Can't wait to see this kid.
Exciting to have top end talent come through again

Reactions: 1 user
Form lines for McA.

Will Graham (GCS) went head to head with him for a quarter or more and got square or better. But in the half leading up to that McA was better than 17yo Leonardo Lombard who was real good. Our man was BOG.

Caiden Cleary (SYD) was beaten last week but not flogged. Shaded. By McA. Taylor Adams was BOG in the first half but was subbed off.

McAuliffe was scrappy last week but got good numbers including 8 tackles. He got 9 coach votes. Two BOGs and 30 touches a game so far.

Clay Hall (WCE) resumed from injury last week in the WAFL and got 18 IIRC. Resuming from injury in the VFL last week Jake Rogers (GCS) got 20 and 12 tackles. Zane Duursma still mercurial - but in the AFL.

Tholstrup (Melb) getting 18 or 20. Gothard (GWS) still injured. Freijah (NM) is getting over 20. Di Mattia (Coll) still injured. Billy Wilson (Carl) not getting numbers yet. Freo's Simpson... can't remember. Ok numbers IIRC.

If Sanders or McKercher played VFL they'd be getting 30 easy. Likewise Windsor. And Darcy Wilson. NB it looks like it could be a superdraft. Probably is.
Much appreciated Jack

A New Mc Jesus

In all seriousness, there's a bit of a messiah complex about Kane given our desperation for a young, emerging midfielder.
Was a standout last week in the VFL but thought his disposal was a bit untidy despite racking it up.
The heat will be a lot greater tomorrow & it's likely going to take some period of adjustment at AFL despite his great start.
Good luck to the kid. Hope he has a good debut. Just not going to place super high expectations on him.

Reactions: 20 users
In all seriousness, there's a bit of a messiah complex about Kane given our desperation for a young, emerging midfielder.
Was a standout last week in the VFL but thought his disposal was a bit untidy despite racking it up.
The heat will be a lot greater tomorrow & it's likely going to take some period of adjustment at AFL despite his great start.
Good luck to the kid. Hope he has a good debut. Just not going to place super high expectations on him.
I'm picking up the same vibes. Brownlow medal chat before playing a game? I realise it's in jest, but did anyone make similar comments about Conca or Dusty, both much higher picks?
PRE hype machine probably taking too many stimulants. Give him a dozen games to see if he's that good perhaps.
Optimistic he's going to be good, but agree we need to let him grow at a reasonable rate.

Reactions: 4 users
A good honest country boy who is not over awed by much. Will put his head down and get the ball which he has done at every level until now.

If his disposal is a bit shabby he will fit right in with out midfield.

This is where it's so important for us to scrap like mad dogs, because we don't have the polish to maintain possession.
If we cough it up, we have to scrap to get it back.

If his disposal is a bit shabby he will fit right in with out midfield.

This is where it's so important for us to scrap like mad dogs, because we don't have the polish to maintain possession.
If we cough it up, we have to scrap to get it back.
Agree.
Got a bit of Ollie Wines about him ( who won a Brownlow )
But he does have a good left boot on him when given time and space. Hopefully he’s got the footy IQ because that’s what separates the blue collar from the mercurial

Ripper, can't wait to see this kid play. Picked him in the phantom draft, I know others have called him their boy, but I reckon that gives me 1st crack at ownership ;)

Hopefully isn't the sub, really looking forward to what he can do for us as we transition our midfield
Potential PRE Phantom Draft Hall of Fame Jackpot ring-a-ding-ding all-star highlight brewing here.

I agree, we don't want to build him up too much, but he does have the same height 187cm similar build and same determination to get the footy as a champion Tiger left-footer from 1967 to 1977. His initials are R.H. Is that putting too much presuure on him?

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, we don't want to build him up too much, but he does have the same height 187cm similar build and same determination to get the footy as a champion Tiger left-footer from 1967 to 1977. His initials are R.H. Is that putting too much presuure on him?
I don’t think Rory Hilton was that tall. Or played in those years either.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I don’t think Rory Hilton was that tall. Or played in those years either.
Big Rexy Hunt ...yibbida yibbida 😉\\Might be that other bloke with the same initials that went ok in that period too............

Reactions: 3 users
Big Rexy Hunt ...yibbida yibbida 😉\\Might be that other bloke with the same initials that went ok in that period too............
If there was a ball in dispute with a few players going for it, I'd say to dad "Royce will get it", and he usually did. Kane's highlights remind me of those contests.

Reactions: 1 users
Richmond midfield coach and esteemed former club captain Chris Newman's assessment of McAuliffe . . .

“You look at the size of him . . . he’s a readymade body and plays that inside mid role really well.

“Wins his own ball, and it’s good to see a left-footer in there that’s able to get inside and out.

“The thing that he likes to do is actually win it, but he’s quite good at getting in to out successfully.

“He loves taking on tackles, shrugging tackles and getting clear.

“He’s a really honest worker . . . works hard, which is exactly what we require out of all our mids.

“And his patterns are strong.

“He’s a really good kid, who loves to learn. He’s always in my office and works closely with Sam Lonergan and Jack Ziebell as well with his stoppage craft.

“He’s a really talented kid . . . a beautiful left-foot kick and quite penetrating, too.

“So, he’s got a good leg and he can kick both sides. But he’s quite good at getting on to his left.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1523020/newman-bullish-on-mcauliffe

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Lets hope the tiger fans dont get feral on this kid if he doesnt get 30 and kick 2 goals in his first game

Reactions: 2 users