Kevin Bartlett | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kevin Bartlett

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I was told stories of great Richmond players from Dusty Obrein. He was the man that made me a Richmond nut. He was my neighbour. Skinny Titus, Dyer, Etc
Would have been awesome to see those greats play. Titus & Dyer.
I wonder if anyone knows of any decent docs on either of them?

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
That's great to have that connection. My father and grandfather were massive tiger fans, the family knew Roy Wright a bit and got some stories from him.
Dad used to say that he had seen some awesome Richmond players but he had never seen one better than Royce Hart. Sadly he was long gone by the time Dusty came on the scene.

Family connection is certainly a big factor, my partner's father knew Bob Skilton Sr (the triple Brownlow medalist's father, who also played for South Melbourne) and she is a South Melbourne supporter as was her father.

Royce Hart was pretty damned special, pity those who missed seeing him play.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Would have been awesome to see those greats play. Titus & Dyer.
I wonder if anyone knows of any decent docs on either of them?

Once you get before the years of TV there isn't much, I don't think I have ever found much film of the likes of Dyer and Titus playing. Titus in particular would be interesting. Skinny bloke who managed to be a key forward and kick almost a thousand goals.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Once you get before the years of TV there isn't much, I don't think I have ever found much film of the likes of Dyer and Titus playing. Titus in particular would be interesting. Skinny bloke who managed to be a key forward and kick almost a thousand goals.

DS
Probably for another thread but I love the stories of the old players. I don’t remember it but when I was a little tacker I used to go to games at PRO with my family and evidently I wore a hand knitted Richmond jumper with number 1 on it because I loved Paddy Guinane. The story goes that every time we scored a goal or there was a roar from the crowd I would ask my Dad if Paddy had kicked a goal:p
Drove everyone crazy I am told

• Haha

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Family connection is certainly a big factor, my partner's father knew Bob Skilton Sr (the triple Brownlow medalist's father, who also played for South Melbourne) and she is a South Melbourne supporter as was her father.

Royce Hart was pretty damned special, pity those who missed seeing him play.

DS
Skilton's father never played for South Melbourne ... just Port Melbourne in the VFA.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

DS

Titus was only 5ft 9in (175 cms) & played as a full forward, remarkable when you think about it, especially in that era. He also held the record for the most games in a row for a very long time.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Skilton's father never played for South Melbourne ... just Port Melbourne in the VFA.

Well there you go, I never checked, old man's memory I suppose.

Titus was only 5ft 9in (175 cms) & played as a full forward, remarkable when you think about it, especially in that era. He also held the record for the most games in a row for a very long time.

People were shorter then, Jack Dyer was only 6' or maybe 6'1", but Titus is remarkable, not tall, skinny, and a key forward. He would have copped plenty of whacks over the years and I remember he had the consecutive games record for so long. Geez he must have been a resilient bastard.

DS

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Well there you go, I never checked, old man's memory I suppose.

People were shorter then, Jack Dyer was only 6' or maybe 6'1", but Titus is remarkable, not tall, skinny, and a key forward. He would have copped plenty of whacks over the years and I remember he had the consecutive games record for so long. Geez he must have been a resilient bastard.

DS
Titus was a tough bugger from all accounts, though. There’s a story Mopsy Fraser told about how he was taking speccies on Skinny’s back at training until Titus stepped aside, grabbed Fraser’s leg while he was in mid air and twisted it. Different game back then.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Last I heard there had been a couple of requests for photo shoots that had been politely declined, which just shows he is much more mature than me.
I truly hope that sometime in the next 2 years, KB sincerely apologises and Dusty accepts because I’m sure that the club will want a photo shoot of Dusty, KB, St Francis , Jack and hopefully Cotch & Shedda around Captain Blood’s statue commemorating all the the club’s 300 game players

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Yeah Quickdraw. Breathtaking footballer in his prime.
Absolutely a gun.
Watching him play just bought joy to Richmond supporters.
My favourite footballer, still ... even after 50-odd years of following the Mighty Tigers

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
So lucky to have seen Bartlett, Hart, Bourke, Barrot, Clay, Stewart, Rioli, Richo, Rance, Martin, and a host of other dead set legends play for Richmond.
And Hafey and Hardwick as coaches. Almost makes up for the bitter wilderness years.

• Love

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

I'm trying to imagine Capt Blood lining up against someone like our Ivan Soldo

Based purely on their sizes - and at the risk of earning myself a smack in the mouth for plagiarising one of our finest - I suspect Jack couldn't carry Ivan's boots.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So lucky to have seen Bartlett, Hart, Bourke, Barrot, Clay, Stewart, Rioli, Richo, Rance, Martin, and a host of other dead set legends play for Richmond.
And Hafey and Hardwick as coaches. Almost makes up for the bitter wilderness years.

Almost . . . but . . . nah those years in the wilderness hurt too bloody much.

I saw most of the above and it has been a pleasure to watch them.

DS

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
I’m with you here!

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Saw a stat on Twitter today. Hungry has the second most 25 possession + 3 goal games in history (since stats were recorded anyway) - 38.

Leigh Matthews clearly the most.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I just think saying he is a better player than Dustin is just nonsense. Martin is in the best of the best, Bartlett is at least a notch or two below that.
how can someone who has only had 2 seasons where he has been the best player for his team be the "best of the best"?

mj72

Tiger Rookie
Jun 21, 2004
punt road
just both greats....leave it at that.
I have been attending games since the late 70's.
I had KB on my duffel coat.....as well as Jim Jess, Maurice, Trevor Poole (training top) and Stephen James (training top....I went early on Bomber).
In my football lifetime its KB, Dusty and Richo........apologies to Matthew Knights, jeez he would have been a star in a decent team

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
just both greats....leave it at that.
I have been attending games since the late 70's.
I had KB on my duffel coat.....as well as Jim Jess, Maurice, Trevor Poole (training top) and Stephen James (training top....I went early on Bomber).
In my football lifetime its KB, Dusty and Richo........apologies to Matthew Knights, jeez he would have been a star in a decent team
Loved Bomber James, cult hero who
looked like being a star at one point.

Kicked 49 goals in his first season and then faded away like so many in that era. Kicked more goals in his first season that the rest of his career combined :cry:

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Loved Bomber James, cult hero who
looked like being a star at one point.

Kicked 49 goals in his first season and then faded away like so many in that era. Kicked more goals in his first season that the rest of his career combined :cry:
Our best number 40? I just called him James or Stephen James. Never would say that nickname.