Legthen The Reguglar Season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Legthen The Reguglar Season

Do you believe the pre-season matches (Wizard Cup) should be scrapped and extended the reguglar seas

• Yes

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
I personally believe that the way the draw is structured, its not fair. Every team should player each other twice. Once at home and once away. One some once and others twice.

Get rid of the Wizard Cup and extend the season. Not many clubs treat the Wizard Cup seriously anyway.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
The draw is a joke. If Collingwood had to travel to Perth this year they wouldn't be in 2nd spot now given no Vic club has won over there. If they had to travel twice they would be in 8th spot.

The season is long and strenuous enough as it is for AFL players. 30 H/A games (playing each other twice) plus finals would be ridiculous. Add to that the added financial costs in terms of player salaries, memberships, etc.

If the AFL is to remain a 16 team comp then IMO to make the draw fairer the AFL would have to go to a 2 conferences system of 8 team each. You play H/A against the teams in your conference (2x7=14) plus once against the teams from the other conference (8 games) - H/A one year followed by A/H the next and so on. That's still 22 matches all up. Alternatively it would need to axe 4 Vic clubs and get back to a 12 club comp = 22 H/A games. Can't see either happening.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Spot on mighty.

I know a really good way of lengthening our season by at least 3 games...make the Grand Final :-\

ComedyCapers

I'm a llama!
Aug 13, 2003
Canberra
The NRL has a 26 game season with the result that when teams can't make the finals you get huge blowouts in games. This would happen in the AFL also.

Nobody wants to see that. Look at the Dogs yesterday. Imagine if they had to play 4 more rounds.

A 12 team competition would be perfect with 22 rounds
but a 14 team 26 rounds with no pre season cup could succeed.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
The only problem i can see with a culling of the AFL competition from 16 to 14 teams is that currently we are the most incompetent uncompetative team going around - does that mean we get culled!

At least the other 15 teams try to win.

I think lengthen the season and continue to have the bye (Richmond Game) - the only thing is, we don't get the bye coz we don't get to play ourselves.