List Balance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

List Balance

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
So it will be interesting to see who we pick up in the rookie draft (or pre-season supplemental) and I think the types of players were the right ones, a mid (McAuliffe) and a KPP player in Fawcett. So I thought I'd take a look at the list and take a look at how each positional line of the list looks.

Key Positions
Defenders - Grimes (32), Young (25), Miller (24), Balta (24), Gibcus (20)
Forwards - Lynch (31), Koschitzke (23, Fawcett (18)
Rucks - Nankervis (29), Naismith (31), Ryan (22), Colina (24), Wolfmother (not sure of his age)
- This may be why we didn't take Murphy if we thought he was more a defender than a forward as we are relatively well setup for KD's but short of KF's. Rucks we have decent depth there now

Mediums
Defenders - Broad (30), Vlastuin (29), Tresize (21), Brown (20)
Forwards - Cumberland (22), Bauer (21)
- We are generally well set in this area

Smalls
Defenders - Short (27), Dan Rioli (26), Baker (25), Smith (19)
Forwards - Mansell (23), Coulthard (22), MRJ (21), Campbell (18)
- Good strength in the back half, front half a WIP, which is why I'd be happy to draft another in the rookie draft (Sanchez please)

Mids / wings
Mid / Forwards - Martin (32), Bolton (24), Clarke (20)
Mids - Prestia (31), Hopper (26), Taranto (25), Graham (25), Dow (22), Sonsie (20), Green (19), McAuliffe (18)
Wings - Pickett (21), McIntosh (29), HRS (22), Banks (20), Ross (23)
- Always good to keep adding talent through here with McAuliffe. Mids heavy draft next year so if Sonsie comes on, with a top draftee next year we have a solid base going forward with Shai, TT, Hopper and Sonsie (hopefully the other young boys too).

All in all, the list is probably relatively well balanced aside from talls which as I say may be why we went Fawcett over Murphy. I think Murphy probably has the higher ceiling but it probably gives an indication from the coaching group where they expect Balta and Gibcus will settle and thats likely back IMO.

Reactions: 2 users

tigers1980

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 24, 2012
I'm curious why we have so many picks next year.
Does next years draft have more depth?
Is our list looking at a complete reset at the end of 24???

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

We do have a lot of players out of contract and there could be 1 or 2 retirements (Grimes / Prestia are maybes) and there are a few on the ropes (Dow / HRS / Green) but I don't see a scenario where we take 9 picks to the draft, we'll trade them either for players or to get up the list but these potentially changes being talked about around bidding changes could bite us a little.

rowdydave

Tiger Rookie
Dec 4, 2004
Mornington
We do have a lot of players out of contract and there could be 1 or 2 retirements (Grimes / Prestia are maybes) and there are a few on the ropes (Dow / HRS / Green) but I don't see a scenario where we take 9 picks to the draft, we'll trade them either for players or to get up the list but these potentially changes being talked about around bidding changes could bite us a little.

Matt Clarke stated in his interview on the Richmond website that there are a number of clubs who have academy players or father sons available next year.

We have stockpiled late picks which we will use to get higher in the draft, possibly mid to late first round.

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I'm rapt on what we picked up last night
But a tall marking defender.
A MrCut off/intercepter wouldve made the night AA+
Ollie Murphy or Zane Zako

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
B: Grimes Young Vlastuin
HB: D.Rioli Broad Short
C: Ross Hopper Banks
HF: Prestia Martin Baker
F: Koschitzke Lynch Balta
FOLL: Nankervis, Taranto, Bolton
INTER: Gibcus, Graham, Coulthard, Cumberland
SUB: Clarke
EMERG: McIntosh, Sonsie, Ryan

B: Mansell Miller Smith
HB: Trezise Brown Ralphsmith
C: McIntosh Dow Pickett
HF: Campbell Bauer Green
F: Fawcett Ryan M.Rioli
FOLL: Naismith, McAuliffe, Sonsie
INTER: Colina, Hayes-Brown

Last edited:

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I'm rapt on what we picked up last night
But a tall marking defender.
A MrCut off/intercepter wouldve made the night AA+
Ollie Murphy or Zane Zako
The intercept marker.....I reckon they want Brown in that role. He can leap and make up for not being 200cm. Plus we have Balta.

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
B: Grimes Young Vlastuin
HB: D.Rioli Broad Short
C: Ross Hopper Banks
HF: Prestia Martin Baker
F: Koschitzke Lynch Balta
FOLL: Nankervis, Taranto, Bolton
INTER: Gibcus, Graham, Coulthard, Cumberland
SUB: Clarke
EMERG: McIntosh, Sonsie, Ryan
If that's our best side, we'll be mid-table at best.

• Dislike

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Gonna use them to trade up into higher picks to probably on trade for a A grader from another club be it Key Forward or A lister Mid.

Reactions: 1 user

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
Given our list age profile still alot of our guns are 30+
One might suggest we are a couple of key injuries off bottom 4 i
Finish in bottom 4 we have a good draft hand and trade options
Insurance like imo.
Mate hope not but say anything we fart and spoon it, we then have a monster draft hand
dustin wants to go north jezsus more capital in something
Sets up Uze

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
So it will be interesting to see who we pick up in the rookie draft (or pre-season supplemental) and I think the types of players were the right ones, a mid (McAuliffe) and a KPP player in Fawcett. So I thought I'd take a look at the list and take a look at how each positional line of the list looks.

Key Positions
Defenders - Grimes (32), Young (25), Miller (24), Balta (24), Gibcus (20)
Forwards - Lynch (31), Koschitzke (23, Fawcett (18)
Rucks - Nankervis (29), Naismith (31), Ryan (22), Colina (24), Wolfmother (not sure of his age)
- This may be why we didn't take Murphy if we thought he was more a defender than a forward as we are relatively well setup for KD's but short of KF's. Rucks we have decent depth there now

Mediums
Defenders - Broad (30), Vlastuin (29), Tresize (21), Brown (20)
Forwards - Cumberland (22), Bauer (21)
- We are generally well set in this area

Smalls
Defenders - Short (27), Dan Rioli (26), Baker (25), Smith (19)
Forwards - Mansell (23), Coulthard (22), MRJ (21), Campbell (18)
- Good strength in the back half, front half a WIP, which is why I'd be happy to draft another in the rookie draft (Sanchez please)

Mids / wings
Mid / Forwards - Martin (32), Bolton (24), Clarke (20)
Mids - Prestia (31), Hopper (26), Taranto (25), Graham (25), Dow (22), Sonsie (20), Green (19), McAuliffe (18)
Wings - Pickett (21), McIntosh (29), HRS (22), Banks (20), Ross (23)
- Always good to keep adding talent through here with McAuliffe. Mids heavy draft next year so if Sonsie comes on, with a top draftee next year we have a solid base going forward with Shai, TT, Hopper and Sonsie (hopefully the other young boys too).

All in all, the list is probably relatively well balanced aside from talls which as I say may be why we went Fawcett over Murphy. I think Murphy probably has the higher ceiling but it probably gives an indication from the coaching group where they expect Balta and Gibcus will settle and thats likely back IMO.
Is that 42 on the list?

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Our youngest 22 players in approximate position

Trezise Gibcus Mansell

Dow Koschitzke Brown

Clarke McAuliffe Ralphsmith

Ross Ryan Cumberland

Coulthard Fawcett Bauer

Hayes-Brown Banks Sonsie

Campbell Green Smith Rioli Jr.

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Pre-season training has only just started for the kids and the older players have not officially started so, for me, its a bit early to starting picking our best 22. I reckon some of the kids may surprise us especially with a new coaching style so come March we could have a new look team.