List Management for 2018 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

List Management for 2018

Jonesracing82 said:
If we load up on he Draft, reckon we go mature players in the Rookie Draft?
There looks to be a number of decent players that have been delisted this year. One that surprised me was Dean Towers from the Swans.

He's 27, maybe 28 and I reckon he is the perfect player to rookie list. I know that Ricky Petterd wasn't a Brownlow medallist when we rookie listed him but he was better than serviceable. A guy like Towers would make a decent "plug" should we need an experienced player at some stage.

He would cost us peanuts and if he is hurting from being delisted then he would come in with a full head of steam with a point to prove.

ahyeahnah said:
There looks to be a number of decent players that have been delisted this year. One that surprised me was Dean Towers from the Swans.

He's 27, maybe 28 and I reckon he is the perfect player to rookie list. I know that Ricky Petterd wasn't a Brownlow medallist when we rookie listed him but he was better than serviceable. A guy like Towers would make a decent "plug" should we need an experienced player at some stage.

He would cost us peanuts and if he is hurting from being delisted then he would come in with a full head of steam with a point to prove.
I mean more State League players that are ready to go next yr while some draftees may not be

We need to recruit as many younger players as possible over the next couple of years. The ones that come on quickly can then be injected into the team. That’s the smart play here.

There is no point in bringing in older players now. What are they going to do, replace Grigg and Houli a year early and then also be gone twelve months later?

Makes no sense. We need to build our under 22 stocks again.

TOT70 said:
We need to recruit as many younger players as possible over the next couple of years. The ones that come on quickly can then be injected into the team. That’s the smart play here.

There is no point in bringing in older players now. What are they going to do, replace Grigg and Houli a year early and then also be gone twelve months later?

Makes no sense. We need to build our under 22 stocks again.

I’d agree with this but if we lose Lloyd, Miles, Ellis on top of Conca we will need some experience & we will grab some players that haven’t even been discussed for two years service.

Or we use the rookie list to grab these types out of the state league. It’s going to be a huge two months.

It looks like there will be eight or nine out so I reckon we will need at least a couple of mature players. Especially in the midfield. If Lynch is only on 500k next year there should be enough space for one more decent player.

ahyeahnah said:

Our strength this year has been our even performance across the 22 and our bottom 6 have always performed.

Therefore our strategy now will be to maintain or even improve that given we have already improved our AA stocks with lynch.

The Pettard strategy is no longer our play - just ask Geelong. We need more elite youth to come through the system

SCOOP said:
I’d agree with this but if we lose Lloyd, Miles, Ellis on top of Conca we will need some experience & we will grab some players that haven’t even been discussed for two years service.

Or we use the rookie list to grab these types out of the state league. It’s going to be a huge two months.
Need to maximize our picks in this draft. Seems to be some serious talent at least within the first 30 odd picks.

Our first pick should net us another Higgins. Who would of thought Higgins was going to play 20 odd games and be one of our best against Collingwood in the prelim.

Use rookie draft with mature state league players and look for the next Lambert.

Smoking Aces said:
Need to maximize our picks in this draft. Seems to be some serious talent at least within the first 30 odd picks.

Our first pick should net us another Higgins. Who would of thought Higgins was going to play 20 odd games and be one of our best against Collingwood in the prelim.

Use rookie draft with mature state league players and look for the next Lambert.

Higgins is the exception and won't be the rule. There is no way he should have slipped to 17. He actually got better the latter part of the year and didn't hit the rookie wall. I'm not sure we will get someone who makes as big as an impact as Jack in year 1. But I'm set on it being a midfielder.

And the rookie draft, I'd be grabbing the best mids around the country most likely to be able to step up quickly.

SCOOP said:
Higgins is the exception and won't be the rule. There is no way he should have slipped to 17. He actually got better the latter part of the year and didn't hit the rookie wall. I'm not sure we will get someone who makes as big as an impact as Jack in year 1. But I'm set on it being a midfielder.

And the rookie draft, I'd be grabbing the best mids around the country most likely to be able to step up quickly.
Probably the wrong thread, however 2 years running now we have had 2 picks who have made an impact the following year - Graham and Higgins. Every year there are juniors who are ready to go and provide an impact. Stephenson from Collingwood another one.

Smoking Aces said:
Probably the wrong thread, however 2 years running now we have had 2 picks who have made an impact the following year - Graham and Higgins. Every year there are juniors who are ready to go and provide an impact. Stephenson from Collingwood another one.

And Rioli makes it 3 years running, very good recruiting indeed.

Hopefully the start of a continuing trend, Most Clubs have draftees that come in & have an impact, hopefully we continue to be one of those Clubs in the coming yrs.

With the following outs this year, we've lost two mids in the "premiership window" age group (Conca 26, Miles 27) and one who should be stepping up into that group (C Ellis 22). All of these are currently fringe players.
These guys could be replaced with moving Caddy and Townsend into more midfield roles (possibly as back-up in Townsend's case) and back filling in the small forward roles.
We could try get others to step up from younger age groups (Graham and Higgins most likely based on current performance) or get some senior bodies from other AFL clubs or state league clubs.

The "loss" of Griffiths and Hampson is not really an impact I think with us getting CCJ last year and Lynch this year.
This leaves a question mark on Lloyd and who fills his role (Bolton or Rioli)?
The others on the list who are possible/likely outs (Stengle, Drummond and Townsend) I think are all areas we can replace with draftees if needed. Only Townsend could be an issue for next year, if we can't find a like-for-like.

I don't think on the surface our list is in bad shape for next year. One more bash and crash mid needed if we want Caddy to keep playing as a tall in our forward line. Potentially a back-up ruck for Nankervis if Soldo is deemed too big a risk, but I don't think we'd find one a) cheaply b) that's better than Soldo.

If you look at AFL rucks, beyond the first 6-7, there's a massive drop off in terms of what they produce for their teams. I think that's underlined by GWS bringing a ruck out of retirement.

Good post, General. Agree with nearly all of it but I'm concerned with our loss of so many decent back-up players. Miles lacked dash but he was a tough inside mid who would go in and get the ball and feed it out. We still need more of this IMHO.

We lose heavily on disposals and clearances usually. Colonwood worked it out. It's obvious really. If we are prepared to lose so much possession but rely on turnovers to get the ball back, take full advantage of controlling the ball, just don't give it back. Our strength was our backline which won it back. Put them under such high pressure that they couldn't do this, and we were cracked open. With Cox's marking and DeGoey's ability to beat Rance in 1 v 1s, they succeeded. Even Mihocek kicked 2, as did Crisp from the HBF!!

It always pays to be able to win the ball I reckon, get first use. Important with another great KPF. So where is the extra big inside mid we need?

leon said:
Good post, General. Agree with nearly all of it but I'm concerned with our loss of so many decent back-up players. Miles lacked dash but he was a tough inside mid who would go in and get the ball and feed it out. We still need more of this IMHO.

We lose heavily on disposals and clearances usually. Colonwood worked it out. It's obvious really. If we are prepared to lose so much possession but rely on turnovers to get the ball back, take full advantage of controlling the ball, just don't give it back. Our strength was our backline which won it back. Put them under such high pressure that they couldn't do this, and we were cracked open. With Cox's marking and DeGoey's ability to beat Rance in 1 v 1s, they succeeded. Even Mihocek kicked 2, as did Crisp from the HBF!!

It always pays to be able to win the ball I reckon, get first use. Important with another great KPF. So where is the extra big inside mid we need?
Caddy becomes the big inside mid and I wouldn't be surprised if Macintosh is used in the midfield more in 2019.

At the end of the day our"relying on turnovers" game plan will have to become one of our tactics rather than THE tactic.

ahyeahnah said:
Caddy becomes the big inside mid and I wouldn't be surprised if Macintosh is used in the midfield more in 2019.

At the end of the day our"relying on turnovers" game plan will have to become one of our tactics rather than THE tactic.

Yes, sure but does Caddy have much more burst speed than Miles; does KMac have the skills to be damaging? Not sure.

leon said:
Yes, sure but does Caddy have much more burst speed than Miles; does KMac have the skills to be damaging? Not sure.

For me Caddy is a pinch hitter in the middle. Far too dangerous up forward to not take advantage of and a very good shot for goal. KMac, nup, will never be an inside midfielder.

ahyeahnah said:

Mmmm lets not confuse gut running and running gut.