Looking at PRE with Linux/Firefox | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Looking at PRE with Linux/Firefox

dcstar

Once sane, always Richmond......
Nov 5, 2003
Melbourne
I have recently changed from Windows to Ubuntu Linux, and because the PRE site uses Windows fonts the look on my screen wasn't as good in Linux as it was in Windows.

I have just found the technical fix (for Ubuntu at least, it may also apply to other Linux distributions) at:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=4456

Now it looks abso-bloody-lutely fabulous! ;D

All we have to work on now is the contents of some of the posts......... ;)

And for anyone considering giving the virus vulnerable Windows platform the flick for Linux, you could do a lot worse than have a look at Ubuntu - it comes on one install CD with all the stuff a basic user would need, and anything (everything!) else is downloadable.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

David C said:
Now it looks abso-bloody-lutely fabulous! ;D

Been using Linux and various Unix OSes for quite some time, however, I've only just
recently had a linux box on my desk. The above does indeed improve the quality
of the text - in general that is, it's not just for PRE.

I also have
<test qual="all" name="rgba">
<const>unknown</const>
</test>
<edit name="rgba" mode="assign"><const>rgb</const></edit>

in /etc/fonts/local.conf

Which enables subpixel rendering of the fonts - a kind of antialiasing which
also "improves" the look of the fonts if it's possible with your graphics card.

How is Linux with the other popular chat programmes? I was once a Mac user, great computers they were, very stable, but I found the programmes made for them were average at best. Have they improved access to internet banking and the like?

Tigerclan said:
How is Linux with the other popular chat programmes? I was once a Mac user, great computers they were, very stable, but I found the programmes made for them were average at best. Have they improved access to internet banking and the like?

The chat here on PRE works fine - which is the only one I've tested it with - I'm not
big on 'chat' (mainly because it's too slow on my home computer) :p

Tigerclan said:

Linux FireFox works fine with Bendigo Bank, and I've had a couple of issues with some other financial institution web sites but they've said that they are in the process of making their sites compatible with things that are not IE.......

Just loaded Mozilla Firefox
Its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much better than IE

So for all those that recommended Firefox, A BIG THANK YOU :clap

Out of interest what do you find better about Firefox Michael? I have both but always seem to use IE. Mainly cos that's the default browser and I haven't tried to find out how to change it. I really can't see much difference between the two although when I installed it we were having problems with the old hosting and I found it worked far better than ie then.

rosy23 said:
Out of interest what do you find better about Firefox Michael? I have both but always seem to use IE. Mainly cos that's the default browser and I haven't tried to find out how to change it. I really can't see much difference between the two although when I installed it we were having problems with the old hosting and I found it worked far better than ie then.

Rosy.
I find that the security is better with Firefox, its easier to set security levels, clearing history and cookies is much simpler. Plus it seems to be faster.
Ive yet to see if it offers greater protection, that is no problems so far.
But the best thing is that all those annoying popups for "Shredder" etc have stopped.
When I encounter problems or issues, I'll report
M

I agree re: Firefox - IE has serious security issues and hijacking problems and have just downloaded Firefox so that I can avoid the henious about:blank. Also much faster than IE.

I don't have a clue about security and hijacking but am using Firefox for a while to get used to it. I really can't tell any difference on my computer..
When I click on a link it always opens the window in ie though. How do I change that so they open in Firefox?
I have "check to see if it's the default browser when opening a page" ticked on FF and blank on ie.

rosy23 said:
I don't have a clue about security and hijacking but am using Firefox for a while to get used to it. I really can't tell any difference on my computer..
When I click on a link it always opens the window in ie though. How do I change that so they open in Firefox?
I have "check to see if it's the default browser when opening a page" ticked on FF and blank on ie.

Get the "Tabbrowser" extension and install that - you will have full control of where new links open to:

Tools-Extensions-Get more extensions

If you want to "Turbocharge" Firefox, have a look at:

http://www.tweakfactor.com/articles/tweaks/firefoxtweak/4.html

Hi DC (or anyone else for that matter),

Is there any logical reason why the performance of AFL.com video is better on Firefox than on IE (Remember I must use the MS Media Player)? I watched the first half of the Brissy St Kilda game using IE, and it was buffering every 10 minutes.

I went on to watch TAFKA Richmond v Geelong using Firefox, and did not buffer once, and  the picture seemed clearer

Cheers

NYT

I am giving Firefox a go at the moment, just to see what I think of it.
ONE REALLY ANNOYING thing with it is the scroll bar. Sometimes it works ok, then it stops randomly, very annoying, very frustrating.
Despite fiddling around with the settings, nothing changes. :mad:

Tigerdog said:
I am giving Firefox a go at the moment, just to see what I think of it.
ONE REALLY ANNOYING thing with it is the scroll bar. Sometimes it works ok, then it stops randomly, very annoying, very frustrating.
Despite fiddling around with the settings, nothing changes. :mad:

I have used Firefox for quite a while, sometimes you just have to use IE as some sites are only formatted for ie.