Malthouse/Buckley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Malthouse/Buckley

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
IanG said:
Malthouse agreed to the changeover so he's not entitled to sook about it.

He was never keen when it came up in 2009, and was entitled to a rethink after a premiership and then a 20-2 minor premiership.

Buckley was parachuted into the job and wrecked it. It isn’t just Richmond that screws up.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
He was never keen when it came up in 2009, and was entitled to a rethink after a premiership and then a 20-2 minor premiership.

Buckley was parachuted into the job and wrecked it. It isn’t just Richmond that screws up.

Yeah I reckon that deal cost em another flag and Malthouse knows it. It took Buckley to hell and back as a coach before he has got it - players like Voss, Leppitsch were never given the same grace by their boards.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
year of the tiger said:
players like Voss, Leppitsch were never given the same grace by their boards.
Helps when you've got the Prez all nicely tucked under the doona.

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
year of the tiger said:
Yeah I reckon that deal cost em another flag and Malthouse knows it. It took Buckley to hell and back as a coach before he has got it - players like Voss, Leppitsch were never given the same grace by their boards.

Can’t remember who, but one of the players said when it happened they felt deflated.
Some players weren’t happy with Bucks taking over.

cagedtiger

Be Feared
Nov 19, 2004
Sydney
DirtyDogTiger said:
The Buckley Malthouse fiesta that afl.com is perpetuating is disgusting.
It’s no-ones business
It’s not afl news

How do you figure? Buckley is a current AFL coach, and Malthouse just got inducted in the AFL Hall of Fame - both very AFL now and newsworthy.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Thats a a different issue essentially. Once Malthouse agreed to the change before they won the premiership, he was bound to it.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
IanG said:
Thats a a different issue essentially. Once Malthouse agreed to the change before they won the premiership, he was bound to it.

How was he supposed to be a “director of coaching” when they weren’t on speaking terms? It was a farcical situation.

Mick got pensioned off for the favourite son. Collingwood screwed up.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
How was he supposed to be a “director of coaching” when they weren’t on speaking terms? It was a farcical situation.

Mick got pensioned off for the favourite son. Collingwood screwed up.

I agree they screwed up, but ultimately Mick has never got over it nor supported Buckley in any way. And then he left Carlton in a bigger mess than when he got there, a completely self-indulgent stint IMO.

I enjoyed listening to Malthouse on SEN when he had the year off in 2012, great insight and observations. He should have stayed in that position rather than indulge his ego.

You can't blame Buckley for being ambitious, who knows if he would have had a shot by now?

Hopefully it derails the Pies season a bit.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
MD Jazz said:
I agree they screwed up, but ultimately Mick has never got over it nor supported Buckley in any way. And then he left Carlton in a bigger mess than when he got there, a completely self-indulgent stint IMO.

I enjoyed listening to Malthouse on SEN when he had the year off in 2012, great insight and observations. He should have stayed in that position rather than indulge his ego.

You can't blame Buckley for being ambitious, who knows if he would have had a shot by now?

Hopefully it derails the Pies season a bit.

Itr was like Bart Cummings with So You Think being sold overseas. Malthouse was coming to the end and his last shot at the title was taken away from him.

Yeah he should never have taken the Carlton job, but I'm glad he did!

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Yeah he should never have taken the Carlton job, but I'm glad he did!

As Bruce would say - delicious!

Reactions: 1 users

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
It’s interesting the tendency to blame Mick or Buckley for the shamozzle that was Collingwood Circa 2012.When it was nobodies fault but El Presidente,who in 2009 wanted Mick to coach Collingwood but couldn’t bear the thought of Nathan walking to North Melbourne.

Classic case of wanting the Cake and Eating it too.

Being too greedy Eddie,it never ends well.!!!

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Did Buckley bag Geelong for having too many home games?
If he did, good on him...

• Haha

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Did Buckley bag Geelong for having too many home games?
If he did, good on him...
Typical Figgy. Has a giggle at Dom Sheed's deja vu kick on goal only coz his team won.

Definitely a different story had you lost Figgy.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Note Malthouse throws his hat into ring for a coaching role. Love the responses from Murphy & Robinson - basically scoffed at the idea. No chance anyone will throw Malthouse into their coaching program IMO.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Note Malthouse throws his hat into ring for a coaching role. Love the responses from Murphy & Robinson - basically scoffed at the idea. No chance anyone will throw Malthouse into their coaching program IMO.
Finished the day he went to Carlton, not for the right reasons but as a act of shoving it up Eddie and Buckley.
Its all over. Similar to Pagan & Ayres

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Malthouse still bleating Carlton’s list was diabolical in 2013. These were the mainstays of their team in 2013:

Simpson Jamison Tuohy
Walker Henderson Yarran
Armfield Judd Scotland
Garlett Waite Robinson
Betts McLean Warnock
Kreuzer
Gibbs
Murphy

Inter: Curnow Carrazzo Lucas Rowe

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Malthouse eats his breakfast at a table in his house where a big portrait of him hangs on the wall behind him.
The guy is every much a FIGJAM as his successor at Collingwood.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Malthouse still bleating Carlton’s list was diabolical in 2013. These were the mainstays of their team in 2013:

Simpson Jamison Tuohy
Walker Henderson Yarran
Armfield Judd Scotland
Garlett Waite Robinson
Betts McLean Warnock
Kreuzer
Gibbs
Murphy

Inter: Curnow Carrazzo Lucas Rowe
I think you've taken his comments somewhat out of context.

He said their salary cap was stuffed and they were only a middle of the road team. He wanted to Jettison players out, but they had contracts already, so his hands were tied.

That sounds like a list issue.