Malthouse/Buckley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Malthouse/Buckley

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
Always thought Malthouse was/is a bitter man, anyways, i'd rather have a beer with Buckley than Malthouse, at least Buckley would probably buy you one back in return!!

Reactions: 1 user
B

Bill James

acatman1 said:
Always thought Malthouse was/is a bitter man, anyways, i'd rather have a beer with Buckley than Malthouse, at least Buckley would probably buy you one back in return!!
Rather have Malthouse coach my team.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
That is a pretty bizarre, unnecessary response from Buckley.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-05/im-an-enemy-in-his-eyes-buckleymalthouse-feud-erupts-again

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
Bill James said:
Rather have Malthouse coach my team.

Not sure meself, won 2 at the eags, should have won 3, ( with the list he had) then since then ( IMHO ) failed. Then again Buckley has proven anything at all yet. I think Malthouse as a coach was over rated.

E

easy_tiger

Tigers of Old said:
I'll have the beer with Mick.

X2. Micks mum was my nanas best mate.

Id have nothing to say to bucks

Other than perhaps, do you think you were a trailblazer for draft tampering?

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Bit of scandal an innuendo surrounding the teflon skunks it seems bring it on, the wheels are wobbling a bit.

The more the better.

And who else but Gonzo Wankley to get the headline.

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
Meh, I think Malthouse might be a bit of a tosser. There are quite a number of indications of that, like the testiness and the ego behind that in press conferences - okay maybe he just didn't like press conferences, but compare him with Buckley, who comes across as a decent guy, even with an ego of his own.

The defining moment for me was in that story on Malthouse on...60 Minutes was it? Can't remember, but it was a long one. Anyway there we are, in the Malthouse home, at the dining table, and there's this MASSIVE portrait of Mick, hanging on the wall, SUPER PROMINENT. Now personally, I thought it was a very cheesy piece of work, but that's not the point. You had to think, THIS is where the family sit down to eat on a regular basis (presumably)? I mean honestly, I don't give a toss who you are, I don't want to be staring up at some glorified 'portrait' of Dad or Grandpa or Hubby or whatever, while trying to navigate through my meal. It could be Muhammad Ali even - forget it. But Mick was sitting there, saying how much he liked it.

I'm glad we never had him as coach, in any event. I don't begrudge him his success in life, but I just think he lacks real quality in certain respects.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
I reckon he became bitter after Tiger Legend (and 1982 Coach) St Francis Bourke put him through that tackling session before Grand Final to see if his previously injured shoulder would hold up.
After a myriad of tackling drills Bourkey put him up for one more tackle.

The shoulder popped and he was out of the GF.
Mickey never recovered IMHO.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
theglove3 said:
I reckon he became bitter after Tiger Legend (and 1982 Coach) St Francis Bourke put him through that tackling session before Grand Final to see if his previously injured shoulder would hold up.
After a myriad of tackling drills Bourkey put him up for one more tackle.

The shoulder popped and he was out of the GF.
Mickey never recovered IMHO.

I was told the shoulder test was over the top.
One person believes most players would have walked away with a damaged shoulder after all the hits he took.

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
Yes I remember that very well, as I was at that training and very close to the action at the time. Bourke got Mick to hold onto to the back of his (Bourke's) guernsey with his (Mick's) problem arm only, while Bourkey went to run full pelt away from him, and it didn't take long before yea, the shoulder popped.

I felt for Mick then at least. And we lost anyway.

Edited to add:

He didn't take major 'hits' really, although yes there were some. It was what I describe above, which did it. I mean Francis was a powerful guy, and he was really going for it, running wise.

axlefoley

Tiger Superstar
Sep 29, 2007
se7en said:
I was told the shoulder test was over the top.
One person believes most players would have walked away with a damaged shoulder after all the hits he took.

Yeah no worries bud. It was a fair test, Saint Francis conducted.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
easy said:
X2. Micks mum was my nanas best mate.

Id have nothing to say to bucks

Other than perhaps, do you think you were a trailblazer for draft tampering?

x 100.

WTF has Figgy achieved as coach compared to Micky?

What a show-off.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Malthouse just won them a flag and they back door him for this a flog.
Why wasn’t did he say this 2 years ago? Because he was on the verge of getting the ass.
Now he thinks he is a super coach and can say whatever he likes.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
acatman1 said:
Not sure meself, won 2 at the eags, should have won 3, ( with the list he had) then since then ( IMHO ) failed. Then again Buckley has proven anything at all yet. I think Malthouse as a coach was over rated.

Did it at two clubs. Taking Collingwood from a spoon to a GF in three years, followed by another GF, was a phenomenal effort with that list.

Forcing Malthouse out to keep the untried Buckley was a monumental blunder. Carltonesque.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Funniest thing is that even the Choker supporters are at war on who's better/right (i.e. they even hate their current coach ;D)

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Whenever either of them are waffling on radio I turn off immediately they are both so utterly boring.