Marriage Equality | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Marriage Equality

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
thought there was already thread on this, but I can't seem to find it (maybe I used the wrong key words in the search function?). mods please merge if it does exist.

anyway, thoughts on Margaret Court?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Outdated views but the flak she copped from the left is OTT just as the flak the woman who tweeted on Anzac Day copped from the right.

It's just pathetic that whenever someone says anything the baying public are waiting to tear someone down.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Margaret Court is entitled to her own opinions and beliefs...as are we all.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:
Outdated views but the flak she copped from the left is OTT

you think the reaction to a person who said lesbian tennis players prey on younger players and compared their mind altering techniques with Nazi Germany, is over the top do you?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Ian4 said:
you think the reaction to a person who said lesbian tennis players prey on younger players

Dermie made up the same thing about the AWFL but no one seemed to care

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
tigertim said:
Outdated views but the flak she copped from the left is OTT just as the flak the woman who tweeted on Anzac Day copped from the right.

It's just pathetic that whenever someone says anything the baying public are waiting to tear someone down.

Yep. It's hardwired into the Baby Boomers Generation mentality.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
rosy3 said:
Margaret Court is entitled to her own opinions and beliefs...as are we all.

But she's not entitled to tell others what they can and can't do or how to live their lives. Unless you're gay, it's really none of your business and doesn't affect you. This whole discussion is bizarre. If gay marriage is really that much of a problem, then scrap 'marriage' altogether and call everything a 'civil union'.

Funny thing is, most of the objections I've heard come from either bigots with nothing better to do or are on religious grounds. Wouldn't be the same religion that believes that mankind started with Adam and Eve would it? Maybe take a minute to think about that. I guess the garden of Eden was in Tasmania. :blah

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
Ian4 said:
you think the reaction to a person who said lesbian tennis players prey on younger players and compared their mind altering techniques with Nazi Germany, is over the top do you?
That's what I wrote.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
1eyedtiger said:
But she's not entitled to tell others what they can and can't do or how to live their lives.

I wasn't aware she did that so can't really comment about it. I see a bit of hypocrisy in your comment though.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
tigertim said:

The reaction to her original comments were OTT however her comments since then are indefensible and completely deserving of condemnation.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
rosy3 said:
I wasn't aware she did that so can't really comment about it. I see a bit of hypocrisy in your comment though.

I see a lot of hypocrisy over this whole issue. You say she's got the right to an opinion. I agree but that doesn't extend to the point of dictating to others how to live their lives. And that's what she is doing. She doesn't support gay marriage. If we have a vote on it, I assume she'll vote no. What do you think a stupid vote will be? That's right, a bunch of bigots who can't mind their own business getting a say in how others live their lives when it's really none of their business. Margaret Court won't fly Qantas, good for her. Some tennis players may boycott Margaret Court arena, good for them too. I certainly hope the people sticking up for Margaret Court's right to free speech aren't criticizing the players or denouncing those calling to change the name of the stadium. Those doing that have their right to their opinion too.

What next will we have a referendum on? Maybe gay people shouldn't be allowed access to the internet? Should they be allowed to vote in elections? :help

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
tigertim said:

difference is what Court said was stupid and she deserves the flak.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
WesternTiger said:
She is a reglious fundamentalist. I know most would be up in arms if she was a Muslim...
That's what I'm saying. The "left" get up in arms when it's Christian and the "right" get up in arms when it's Muslim.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I have no problem is she or anyone else voices their opinions - we all have a right to - as long as it is done with respect.

Afraid Court showed absolutely no respect in what she said or how she said it - it was aggressive, provocative and hurtful to many people - she has completely lost my respect as a famous Australian sports person.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Not sure how I feel about having the Stadium name changed. I would just make an official statement that she will be asked to avoid any reference to her out-dated and religiously motivated views at official functions and that the Stadium/Tournament management disagrees with her views. End of. If she can't adhere to this she won't be given any media roles or speaking opportunities in any official capacity. She is free to speak her mind as a private citizen, just not allowed used the platform of Aus Open or Stadium.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
KnightersRevenge said:
Not sure how I feel about having the Stadium name changed.

I thought the same at first until I read Martina Navratilova's suggestion of the Evonne Goolagong Arena.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Baloo said:
I thought the same at first until I read Martina Navratilova's suggestion of the Evonne Goolagong Arena.

Look who wouldn't love to see Goolagong honoured? But I disagree with using identity politics to do it. Rename Vodafone or Hisense or whatever it called.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I see some players are threatening to boycott playing on the Margaret Court Areana. Perhaps they should also boycott playing in countries where homosexuality is illegal.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
year of the tiger said:
Afraid Court showed absolutely no respect in what she said or how she said it - it was aggressive, provocative and hurtful to many people - she has completely lost my respect as a famous Australian sports person.

well said. depression and suicide rates are much higher in the gay and lesbian community. she would not give 2 sh!ts about that.