Marriage Equality | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Marriage Equality

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
KnightersRevenge said:
I have absolutely no problem with people who conduct a free enterprise choosing who they do business with. This is not discrimnation in the sense that I think of it. You haven't lost income, or healthcare or access to education or employment or public transport. You don't have a "right" to buy a cake IMO. Free speech, now, allows anyone to make as big a song and dance as they like, within the law, and let everyone know that the local baker refused you service because of your sexual orientation. Public feeling being what it is this will likely cost them business. That is how it works. Legislating for issues like this is using a mallet to squash a bug, IMO.

you think businesses should be allowed to have a sign out the front saying "no blacks"?
should a private bus company be allowed to only allow 'people of colour' to sit up the back?
do you think a club should be able to refuse entry to someone because they have a disability?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Brodders17 said:
you think businesses should be allowed to have a sign out the front saying "no blacks"?
should a private bus company be allowed to only allow 'people of colour' to sit up the back?
do you think a club should be able to refuse entry to someone because they have a disability?

Money talks loudest brodders not sure too many businesses knock back potential sales. Will find this part of the debate is a non issue in reality.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Brodders17 said:

In essence, yes Brodders. A business is free to conduct its business whatever way it sees fit, within the law. Hanging a sign out front that advertises the bigotry of the proprietor is likely to be a stupid move. The sign currently on many businesses reads "Managment reserves the right to refuse service". No need to be explicit. There is no requirement for them to publicly announce their bigotry.

My point was only that a business that is not itself, or on behalf of a government agency, a public service cannot by definition be involved in discrimination in the way I think of it. The right to eat cake is not a thing. The right to buy alcohol is not a thing. The right to ride in a bus is a very different thing as that is, mostly, a public service and could impact on employment or access to other public services. I would say in Aus you have to apply for a licence from the government to operate a bus service. This would preclude you from the freedom to discriminate. I don't think that applies to cake.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
KnightersRevenge said:
In essence, yes Brodders. A business is free to conduct its business whatever way it sees fit, within the law. Hanging a sign out front that advertises the bigotry of the proprietor is likely to be a stupid move. The sign currently on many businesses reads "Managment reserves the right to refuse service". No need to be explicit. There is no requirement for them to publicly announce their bigotry.

My point was only that a business that is not itself, or on behalf of a government agency, a public service cannot by definition be involved in discrimination in the way I think of it. The right to eat cake is not a thing. The right to buy alcohol is not a thing. The right to ride in a bus is a very different thing as that is, mostly, a public service and could impact on employment or access to other public services. I would say in Aus you have to apply for a licence from the government to operate a bus service. This would preclude you from the freedom to discriminate. I don't think that applies to cake.

fair enough, i disagree.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
If There is an argument about an occupation other than bakers who might have an issue with dealing with gay couples I will gladly read it.