Marty McGrath | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Marty McGrath

Jexy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2005
I'll always remember his first game, due to the fact that I was telling three of my mates who are dogs supporters that we were gonna flog them because we had this excitement machine from coburg called Marty Mcgrath. My mates were saying "yeah right" etc, and the kid comes out and boots five goals. Shame he never went on with it though. I always feel a bit sorry for him that he went off the rails.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Wonder how he wouldve gone if Spud didnt give him the ass and TW got in his ear, sad may have been an asset!

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
craig said:
Wonder how he wouldve gone if Spud didnt give him the ass and TW got in his ear, sad may have been an asset!
May have been one we could have persisted with.

TrewTIGER

Tiger Renaissance
Nov 9, 2003
Melbourne
He's 2 years older now, so perhaps a more mature head on his shoulders. Tucky spent 2 years out of mainstream before we gave him another go :clap :clap

baktiger

Tex Walker....
Dec 17, 2002
Coburg, Melbourne
There's 3 videos of Marty in the 'Random' section under TIGER-TV.

http://www.puntroadend.com/movies/unlisted/

He used to be really good with the kids at Coburg games.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Former AFL player hands himself in to police after a night on the run
Marta Pascual Juanola
WA Today
August 15, 2020

An overnight search for a former AFL player who escaped police custody after facing court on Friday has been suspended after the escapee handed himself in to police on Saturday morning.

Former Richmond player Martin Leslie McGrath fled after facing Perth Magistrates Court accused of throwing a brick at a teenager riding an off-road motorcycle in Cloverdale in July.

Martin Leslie McGrath escaped police custody on Friday.

Martin Leslie McGrath escaped police custody on Friday.

According to police, an 18-year-old man was riding his Yamaha bike along Kew Street when McGrath struck him with the brick, causing him to lose control of the bike and fall unconscious on a verge.

The rider was taken to Royal Perth Hospital with serious head injuries and was put in an induced coma for two weeks.

McGrath is facing one count of causing bodily harm in relation to the incident and before his escape, he was due to face Perth Magistrates Court again on September 1.

He is also facing one count of unlawful assault with circumstances of aggravation in relation to another incident and was due to face Fremantle Magistrates Court on August 24.

McGrath made his AFL debut for Richmond in 2003. He kicked five goals in his first match against the Western Bulldogs but was eventually delisted at the end of the season.

He went on to play for Templestowe in Victoria's Eastern Football League and Lalor in the Diamond Valley Football League of the same state.

A police spokesman said McGrath was "now in police custody".'

The circumstances surrounding the escape will be investigated by court security contractor G4S/WLG. The probe will be overseen by the Department of Justice Professional Standards Division, which will also conduct an independent review.

McGrath is in custody and is expected to face the escaping lawful custody charge in Perth Magistrates Court on Monday.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Very sad.

What a debut that was!
It is sad, I hope he can turn his life around.
It makes one wonder what different results might we have got with the like of Marty, Troy Turner etc, if we had've had the Korin Gamadji Institute in place back then.

Reactions: 4 users

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
Man, the tigers of the early 2000's was a very ugly time. The culture was at an all time worst it seems. Frawley, Tuck, A.Krakouer - now Marty. Thats just the ones we know about. For those who went every week, it was a very hostile time to be a fan. It could be coincidence, but i do feel that period really ruined some lives for these blokes. Even Cleve and Polak incident - especially Cleve - was never able to get his head right after witnessing that tram incident. Makes you wonder what sort of support structure we had for the playing group.

Seems laughable now that we took Cousins. The club put so much effort into supporting him, i doubt it didn;t come at a cost of the players we already had

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Man, the tigers of the early 2000's was a very ugly time. The culture was at an all time worst it seems. Frawley, Tuck, A.Krakouer - now Marty. Thats just the ones we know about. For those who went every week, it was a very hostile time to be a fan. It could be coincidence, but i do feel that period really ruined some lives for these blokes. Even Cleve and Polak incident - especially Cleve - was never able to get his head right after witnessing that tram incident. Makes you wonder what sort of support structure we had for the playing group.

Seems laughable now that we took Cousins. The club put so much effort into supporting him, i doubt it didn;t come at a cost of the players we already had
What did Frawley and Tuck have to do with the “worse” culture?

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
What did Frawley and Tuck have to do with the “worse” culture?
I'm talking about the fallout from the culture.

Frawley on the sacked podcast talks at lengths that his depression first appeared while coaching us. He and his family got treated pretty poorly by the supporter in hindsight & the club treated him with the upmost disrespect when he was clearly out the door, asking him if he would allow Terry to sit in the coaches box with him for the final couple of months. To ask that from the coach is like asking your wifes new boyfriend to sit in on your lovemaking so he can see how badly you got it wrong.

The reports on Tucks problems seemed to come after his career ended and he couldn't find a new life forward.

I dont think anyone who was there would argue it was a bloody ugly time to be a fan, i don't miss those days. It must have been horrible to be a player there too

Reactions: 1 users

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
Wonder how he would've gone if Spud didn't give him the ass and TW got in his ear, sad may have been an asset!
Marty was going ok until his relatives came to live with him and freeload off him, they were the worst influences in his life
He started turning up to training late ,then consistently later each time
his breath would wreak of Cub's finest, when he would ask you for chewy's as he walked in you knew what was going on, you could smell it
How many chances do you need to smarten up and take your career seriously?
Huge shame because he had immense talent, he was a good bloke though

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Man, the tigers of the early 2000's was a very ugly time. The culture was at an all time worst it seems. Frawley, Tuck, A.Krakouer - now Marty.

Might be drawing a bit of a long bow. Do you include Billy Nicholls and Justin Murphy?

Frawley made reference to his tough farm upbringing being the source of his issues. Hawthorn was aware of Tuck's problems when he was there back in 2000-01. Every story is different and you need to be a bit careful grouping them together under some club-inflicted malaise.

Undoubtedly true that the club wasn't as well resourced in player welfare as it is now.

Reactions: 4 users

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
Might be drawing a bit of a long bow. Do you include Billy Nicholls and Justin Murphy?

Frawley made reference to his tough farm upbringing being the source of his issues. Hawthorn was aware of Tuck's problems when he was there back in 2000-01. Every story is different and you need to be a bit careful grouping them together under some club-inflicted malaise.

Undoubtedly true that the club wasn't as well resourced in player welfare as it is now.

Don't deny its a long straw at all. But knowing what we do about Mental Health now compared to the early 2000's, you could only imagine how toxic it was. Coaches getting spat on, supporters dumping chicken *smile* outside the clubs doors. I just remember the crowd & supporter base being so frustrated and punished by bad news that it had gotten pretty toxic. From the stories i heard from the Frawley & Walls "Sacked" podcast interviews - and the shitshow which was the Greg Miller & Terry Wallace era - it would have been an awful environment. Club is miles from that now - its more valuable that the flags to me as it looks like a very positive place to be (except for the *smile* grabbing stuff)

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Don't deny its a long straw at all. But knowing what we do about Mental Health now compared to the early 2000's, you could only imagine how toxic it was. Coaches getting spat on, supporters dumping chicken *smile* outside the clubs doors. I just remember the crowd & supporter base being so frustrated and punished by bad news that it had gotten pretty toxic. From the stories i heard from the Frawley & Walls "Sacked" podcast interviews - and the shitshow which was the Greg Miller & Terry Wallace era - it would have been an awful environment. Club is miles from that now - its more valuable that the flags to me as it looks like a very positive place to be (except for the *smile* grabbing stuff)

Dunno. One report said Richo and some other players laughed as the chook manure was being dumped. Knights and Cameron went on to coach. Gale is perhaps the next AFL CEO. Bowden's an MP. Richo, Brown & Gaspar in media. Yeah we won two spoons under Frawley/Wallace, but every other club finished below us at least twice. The club had no money but people still got paid. Membership plateaued under Frawley but increased under Wallace. We'd won 15 of the last 50 when Spud called it quits, but he stayed on for another 9 losses. That was a down time and a mistake in hindsight, but "toxic" is a big call.

Don't think anyone has gone to court claiming the club ruined them. That can't be said about some other clubs.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah the idea that Richmond in the early 2000s was conducive to mental illness in players and coaches is a big stretch.

The unknown of course is how many Tigers fans flipped out and never recovered

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user