Match Sim v Melbourne Sunday 18th February - Casey Fields 10am (Foxtel/Kayo) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Match Sim v Melbourne Sunday 18th February - Casey Fields 10am (Foxtel/Kayo)

Just caught up with the VFL portion of the day. McAuliffe looked good. Smith showed some nice signs. Trezise looked above the level. Cumbo too at times but for his finishing. Juddy okay considering he would barely have done any contact work with the shoulder. Filled out a bit. Good haircut.

Mo Yassine has some fans here, me included, and looks to have added some muscle to his - what? -167cm? - frame. Quick and clean, close to the ground. Mid-season smokey maybe.
On Yassine what role does he fill?
Small forward? We have plenty in development.
Looks too small for anything else.

So the vFa we use as a tester before draft day. Young. Lefau. Tresize. Lambert. Filling the gaps on our list.
We need Blair and his gang to collect as many Smokeys and draft dodgers that they can.
I'm thinking mids with speed. Dont care if they can kick. Or are outside. Bring them into the vfl squad and assess.
Wings with speed, size and class.
Is there a wafl ball magnet we can turn into a winger?

On Yassine what role does he fill?
Small forward? We have plenty in development.
Looks too small for anything else.

So the vFa we use as a tester before draft day. Young. Lefau. Tresize. Lambert. Filling the gaps on our list.
We need Blair and his gang to collect as many Smokeys and draft dodgers that they can.
I'm thinking mids with speed. Dont care if they can kick. Or are outside. Bring them into the vfl squad and assess.
Wings with speed, size and class.
Is there a wafl ball magnet we can turn into a winger?
Trezise is a tremendous player. I would think a near certain selection v GC. Ditto Young.
Lefau, McAuliffe and possibly Cumberland may also be included depending on how they perform v Collingwood.
Old v new perhaps more than we have seen in a decade of preseasons.
Great for the club imo.

Reactions: 1 users
Trezise is a tremendous player. I would think a near certain selection v GC. Ditto Young.
Lefau, McAuliffe and possibly Cumberland may also be included depending on how they perform v Collingwood.
Great for the club imo.
Its an interesting preseason for sure.
Although I doubt we see them in the first couple of games, they'll get plenty of matches.

But imo we still lack zip. A dynamic midfielder would help. Can we find one in the midseason draft?
Or can Tresize Brown and/or Smith step up to release Rioli?

Reactions: 3 users
Its an interesting preseason for sure.
Although I doubt we see them in the first couple of games, they'll get plenty of matches.

But imo we still lack zip. A dynamic midfielder would help. Can we find one in the midseason draft?
Or can Tresize Brown and/or Smith step up to release Rioli?
I have Rioli playing mainly midfield for the reason you describe. Also McAuliffe seemingly with plenty of speed and plenty of endeavour? And Trezise a lefty, starting on what has been Rioli's back flank.

Great for the club imo.

Tresize isn't a near certain selection for the GC. It was pretty clear who the likely 23 will be made up of. If you didn't play the 1st 3 quarters against Melbourne and weren't injured / rested, its probably unlikely they will be playing in the AFL on the GC, but more likely VFL.

I like Tresize, but clearly the 7th defender will be either Brown or Grimes at this stage.

We do seem to be building solid depth which is very good for the club to have.

Reactions: 8 users
Just caught up with the VFL portion of the day. McAuliffe looked good. Smith showed some nice signs. Trezise looked above the level. Cumbo too at times but for his finishing. Juddy okay considering he would barely have done any contact work with the shoulder. Filled out a bit. Good haircut.

Mo Yassine has some fans here, me included, and looks to have added some muscle to his - what? -167cm? - frame. Quick and clean, close to the ground. Mid-season smokey maybe.
There was a bit of criticism of Cumbo but I thought he was ok apart from his finishing. He could have kicked 4.
He is actually a really good kick for goal so let’s hope he tidies that up.

Reactions: 4 users
Tresize isn't a near certain selection for the GC. It was pretty clear who the likely 23 will be made up of. If you didn't play the 1st 3 quarters against Melbourne and weren't injured / rested, its probably unlikely they will be playing in the AFL on the GC, but more likely VFL.

I like Tresize, but clearly the 7th defender will be either Brown or Grimes at this stage.

We do seem to be building solid depth which is very good for the club to have.
I wouldn’t read too much into who played the first 3/4 against Melbourne. For starters Miller and Trezise look more likely to play against GC than either Brown or MJr.
Inclusion against Collingwood should tell us more.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t read too much into who played the first 3/4 against Melbourne. For starters Miller and Trezise look more likely to play against GC than either Brown or MJr.

Miller won't be playing against GC, you can take that to the bank.

Our defenders for the GC game will be out of Gibcus, Young, Grimes, Brown, Broad, Vlastuin, D Rioli, Short and Tresize, with 7 of those 9 picked. Miller is not playing in front of Gibcus or Young and won't play as a 3rd tall in front of the others either.

Why do you seem to think Brown (or played most of the game) compared to Tresize (who played 1 quarter when many of the bigger names who WILL play the Opening Round were taking a rest), means that Tresize is more likely to play than Brown? Surely playing with the players you are expected to be playing with, builds team cohesion and is an important part of practice games.

Bar injury, I don't see either Miller or Tresize being in the AFL team on the GC.

• Love
Miller won't be playing against GC, you can take that to the bank.

Our defenders for the GC game will be out of Gibcus, Young, Grimes, Brown, Broad, Vlastuin, D Rioli, Short and Tresize, with 7 of those 9 picked. Miller is not playing in front of Gibcus or Young and won't play as a 3rd tall in front of the others either.

Why do you seem to think Brown (or played most of the game) compared to Tresize (who played 1 quarter when many of the bigger names who WILL play the Opening Round were taking a rest), means that Tresize is more likely to play than Brown? Surely playing with the players you are expected to be playing with, builds team cohesion and is an important part of practice games.

Bar injury, I don't see either Miller or Tresize being in the AFL team on the GC.

We used to have a real build up to the start of the season with 3-4 games played in a pretty competitive environment.
This first game is not that any more.
Players are played to reward and encourage as much as anything else.
As to who will play against GC, I’d wait a few weeks before becoming so certain.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I think Brown is in front of Trezise personally.
Because of his kicking mainly

Reactions: 5 users
I have Rioli playing mainly midfield for the reason you describe. Also McAuliffe seemingly with plenty of speed and plenty of endeavour? And Trezise a lefty, starting on what has been Rioli's back flank.
agree wholeheartedly.
Though Trez and Browny are not attacking enough (yet).
If we could get one of those, or Smith, to be Shorty's left hand wingman then we're gold.

I'd also look at a 3 man option on the HBF. Shorty, Rioli, Baker. 2 start on the HBF, the other midfield or high HFF. Rotate as they like.
Teams will defend our rebounding defenders. We've seen Rioli tagged.
What if we freed them up by sending Bakes from HFF to play loose in defence.
And allow all 3 to mix it up.
Totally mess with bad guy planning.

Give them all spurts in the middle. Switch it up with Shai.
But also get zip around the ground

• Dislike
I think Brown is in front of Trezise personally.
Because of his kicking mainly
Re watching the replay, I think Brown’s game was overrated,
And Sonsie’s underrated.
Think Tuesday’s team selection will show us if it’s Brown over Trezise

• Wow
And Sonsie’s underrated.
The decision will not be made on that one game. Might be neither of them of course
I thought the Sonz was very good

There was a bit of criticism of Cumbo but I thought he was ok apart from his finishing. He could have kicked 4.
He is actually a really good kick for goal so let’s hope he tidies that up.
Played in the “VFL” part of the match sim though, pretty telling and an indication of where they see he’s at

The decision will not be made on that one game. Might be neither of them of course
I thought the Sonz was very good
Collingwood team selection will probably show us who they prefer for senior selection.
But you’re correct that it may be neither

And Sonsie’s underrated.
Agree, there is something about Brown which hasn't got me sold on him yet... laconic... not what I'm used to from our defence from the past 7+ years.

I liked the look of May, didn’t get it a lot but I really hope we pick him up mid season. Talented talls, particularly a young tall with skills like him would flourish in our system I think. 0 risk and a heap of reward.

Reactions: 2 users