Matt Spangher | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Spangher

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
New star Spangher ready to sparkle
19 June 2005 Sunday Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15654353%255E19897,00.html

THIS time last year Matt Spangher was "not even close" to Vic Metro selection.

He was playing school football at Xavier College and the odd game for the Eastern Ranges in the TAC Cup.

But finals action ending in a grand final appearance on the MCG, was all he needed for motivation.

"Even that by itself (playing a final) was a world of experience and getting to play on the MCG was amazing," he said.

"A lot of people think I've matured doing that. Playing school footy, it's not quite as high a standard as the TAC Cup."

Spangher, 18, made it into the Vic Metro squad with solid performances in the trial games.

He will be closely watched at the under-18 championships when division one games start next weekend at Optus Oval. At 193cm and 84kg, Spangher has been used in the ruck, on the wing and key positions centre half-forward and centre half-back.

"I played in the ruck last year for Eastern but, once the other guys got a bit more experience, they moved me to a key position," Spangher said.

"I'm only 193cm, so you do struggle against the taller guys.

"I played centre half-back in my junior footy and it's a position that comes naturally. I get to run off a bit and rebound. I think it's a bit easier playing centre half-back than centre half-forward because you don't have to create the play as much.

"But I do like the challenge of actually having to lead forward and trying to shake off my opponent."

A pep talk three weeks ago from his Eastern Ranges coach John Lamont has helped motivate Spangher for the task ahead.

Lamont said Spangher's strength was his athleticism and versatility.

"I spoke to him because I probably felt he perhaps wasn't playing up to his ability levels and he found himself in the (Vic Metro) squad probably on speculation a little bit," he said.

"It's like, 'Gee, this kid's going to be a good player', but he wasn't delivering at the level yet. Each week he's taking little steps.

"He's played forward, on the wing, but maybe centre half-back is his best spot. He can also go into the ruck. Versatile is a good word."

Other players to watch in the carnival are Marcus Drum (Murray), Beau Dowler (Oakleigh), Scott Pendelbury (Gippsland), Robert Eddy (Gippsland), Bachar Houli (Western Jets), Shaun Grigg (Nth Ballarat), Josh Kennedy and Patrick Ryder (East Fremantle) and Jay Neagle (Gippsland), son of former Essendon and Sydney winger Merv.