Ben McKinley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ben McKinley

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
Vic U18 Cup: Williams helps Ben set goals
18 June 2005   Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15643084%255E19897,00.html

NORTHERN Knights forward Ben McKinley is drawing encouragement from the performances of Hawthorn's Mark Williams as he aims to break into the AFL.

The rise of the small forward in the AFL this season has given the 184cm McKinley renewed hope about his own prospects.

While he doesn't boast the size of other key forwards in the TAC Cup, McKinley has dominated scoring for the Knights this year.

The 18-year-old sits equal third with Oakleigh's Beau Dowler on the competition's goalkicking table.

McKinley's form in front of goals has not gone unnoticed by state selectors.

Initially a late inclusion in the Vic Metro squad, McKinley was this week chosen in the final team for the national under-18 championships, which start next Saturday.

While McKinley hopes to develop his midfield abilities in the future, he said he was watching and learning from the AFL's top small forwards.

"Playing at full-forward at the moment, I definitely look at Mark Williams and at Fremantle's forward line. They sort of go short with (Paul) Medhurst and they seem to be going all right," he said.

McKinley, studying law at Melbourne University, employed a sprint trainer in the pre-season to help improve his burst of speed on the lead.

But Vic Metro coach David Dickson said it was McKinley's ability to make the most of limited opportunities that really impressed him.

"The thing that really took me with Ben was when the Northern Knights, who were really struggling early in the year, played Gippsland, who I think at that stage were undefeated," Dickson said.

"Ben kicked five in the first half in a team that wasn't bringing the ball in quick.

"The kid, in a lot of cases from limited opportunities, really does very well and that's what I think is the sign of a good player."

McKinley said his Metro selection had been a confidence boost as he looks ahead to the November national draft."

Thought I'd post this. Many think that McKinley might be the next Russell Robertson. He'll be playing for Vic Metro in the carnival.