Matthew Clarke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Clarke

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Mappa said:
FFS you guys have NO facts on this bloke NONE, at least get a bit of info before you stab him in the back

Can you explain the process we went through to appoint him mappa?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigerlove said:
One word, protectionism. The Tigers are in full protectionism mode right now.

man, the conspiracy theories flying around ATM is relentless and OTT. Everything leads back to benny and peggy sitting in their office above PR laughing and rubbing their hands together like Mr Burns, its mental. We could recruit Fyfe, Mumford and Lynch and there'd still be a mob screaming 'arse-covering spin"

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Backbone said:
My theory is that the timing of changing recruiting staff is a problem: Due to loss of IP from the club the recruiter is leaving, there's no way we'd get anyone across in time for this years draft. The most recent example of this is Silvagni, who's appointment was announced in December - after all trading and draft activity was completed.

So, if you just can't get anyone in from elsewhere, the next best option would be to put the guy in charge who you think had put forward better options than what we ended up selecting. Which also leaves Balmey the option to change things once he's seen how everything operates and what the recruiters are like (and also influencing things for this draft as well).

My theory has always been to let Frank have this draft to be his last and then do a thorough country wide search for the best available. I would throw big coin at the best recruiting managers in the land and if you couldn't get them you would surely get their 2IC's. Seems we went the easy option as it was obviously too much hard work and Benny and Dan had too much on their plates. Smacks on shortcut.

Backbone

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 21, 2008
Harry said:
My theory has always been to let Frank have this draft to be his last and then do a thorough country wide search for the best available. I would throw big coin at the best recruiting managers in the land and if you couldn't get them you would surely get their 2IC's. Seems we went the easy option as it was obviously too much hard work and Benny and Dan had too much on their plates. Smacks on shortcut.

If i was in their shoes I would have put someone else in charge for this draft, as they have done. Agree that we should try to throw big coin at the country's best recruiter, but you still need an option if that doesn't work.

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Leysy Days said:
Agree again Harry.

Quite surprised that so many have lambasted our recruiting yet seem to be fine with us not going to market for the role to get the best external candidate we could, as it seems happened.

This is what makes all the negativity humorous... How do we know that we didn't?

FJ has been replaced as per the vast majority wishes. Because it hasn't come with some of PRE endorsement it becomes another RFC are a disappointment thread...

Reminds me of Jackie Chiles from Seinfeld... comedic and humorous

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Backbone said:
If i was in their shoes I would have put someone else in charge for this draft, as they have done. Agree that we should try to throw big coin at the country's best recruiter, but you still need an option if that doesn't work.

Agree you cant get a recruiter across at this point in the year BackBone.

But why appoint Clark for the future now without giving ourselves that chance when the opportunity does come in December.

FJ is taking this draft anyway, why not wait til the washup then go to market.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Backbone said:
My theory is that the timing of changing recruiting staff is a problem: Due to loss of IP from the club the recruiter is leaving, there's no way we'd get anyone across in time for this years draft. The most recent example of this is Silvagni, who's appointment was announced in December - after all trading and draft activity was completed.

So, if you just can't get anyone in from elsewhere, the next best option would be to put the guy in charge who you think had put forward better options than what we ended up selecting. Which also leaves Balmey the option to change things once he's seen how everything operates and what the recruiters are like (and also influencing things for this draft as well).

Frank is in the big chair for this draft, so there's no need to appoint anyone until after the draft, when all this year's IP from other clubs has been acted upon.

Then, we could have opened the role up to all comers. Clarke could have been part of that process. And Balme could have checked out Frank's judgement and worked out whether he was worth keeping on part-time.

There was no need to make this decision now.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Tigertough1974 said:
This is what makes all the negativity humorous... How do we know that we didn't?

Because NO in demand recruiter is going to, nor will be allowed to change clubs at this time of year TT.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Frank is in the big chair for this draft, so there's no need to appoint anyone until after the draft, when all this year's IP from other clubs has been acted upon.

Then, we could have opened the role up to all comers. Clarke could have been part of that process. And Balme could have checked out Frank's judgement and worked out whether he was worth keeping on part-time.

There was no need to make this decision now.

100% Correct Kramer.

Signed,
George

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Leysy Days said:
Because NO in demand recruiter is going to, nor will be allowed to change clubs at this time of year TT.

Doesn't mean they haven't spoken to them and they have said no... Agree they wouldn't leave at this time of year however they can talk..

Not aimed at you mate, however the desire to bag everything RFC is tiresome

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Tigertough1974 said:
Doesn't mean they haven't spoken to them and they have said no... Agree they wouldn't leave at this time of year however they can talk..

Not aimed at you mate, however the desire to bag everything RFC is tiresome

Fair enough TT.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
tigersnake said:
man, the conspiracy theories flying around ATM is relentless and OTT. Everything leads back to benny and peggy sitting in their office above PR laughing and rubbing their hands together like Mr Burns, its mental. We could recruit Fyfe, Mumford and Lynch and there'd still be a mob screaming 'arse-covering spin"

No conspiracy theories. Protectionism happens in all walks of life, in many businesses. Protect your mates, your core group. In my opinion an internal review should have cleaned out a lot more than it has but that's just my opinion based on my view of events and my experience in corporate dealings. I'm entitled to it without being labelled a conspiracy theorist. Not sure what recruiting Fyfe, Mumford and Lynch (which is clearly fanciful) would have to do with it.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Here's some mail.

Clarke couldn't work with Jackson much longer, vehemently disagreed with the direction of our first round picks. Clarke was one of the key people pushing for a change in type. This change has been in the works for about four months, Clarke has presented a entirely new direction to the footy department and Gale on what we value and why. This may be a internal promotion but it is a new direction, new thought process and the position has been earned. Hine was sought after but wasn't going to move.

If this is true, then I'm willing to reserve judgement until this years draft.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigerlove said:
No conspiracy theories. Protectionism happens in all walks of life, in many businesses. Protect your mates, your core group. In my opinion an internal review should have cleaned out a lot more than it has but that's just my opinion based on my view of events and my experience in corporate dealings. I'm entitled to it without being labelled a conspiracy theorist. Not sure what recruiting Fyfe, Mumford and Lynch (which is clearly fanciful) would have to do with it.

Part of what you call protectionism is just part of what motivates people to succeed. Protecting your mates can also be supporting your team and colleagues during rough times, and the review was an explicit, clear stategy to cut through all that anyway. I didn't mean to single you out, but its getting to me. Does not matter what news is announced, its all arse-covering spin. On the fanciful Fyfe etc trades, I do wonder at what point the conspiracy theorists would change their tune? As far as I'm concerned the hierarchy want to win a flag like the rest of us, they've made a few blues and are trying to fix them. There are no guarantees of course, but that's it.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
SCOOP said:
Here's some mail.

Clarke couldn't work with Jackson much longer, vehemently disagreed with the direction of our first round picks. Clarke was one of the key people pushing for a change in type. This change has been in the works for about four months, Clarke has presented a entirely new direction to the footy department and Gale on what we value and why. This may be a internal promotion but it is a new direction, new thought process and the position has been earned. Hine was sought after but wasn't going to move.

it will be interesting to see how we preform at the draft.

And add with this negativity that this year brought out it has exposed our short comings, frustration internally & externally to hopefully make constructive changes to various personal at the club (players through to staff) to move the club forward. I hope RFC get it right.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
SCOOP said:
Here's some mail.

very interesting and encouraging ScOOP, thanks.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
SCOOP said:
Here's some mail.

Good SCOOP.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Is he the same Matthew Clarke who started at Punt Road but when delisted had a career at Lions & Crows as a ruckman of note ?.