Matthew Parker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Parker

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
He has the attitude but until he fixes his kicking he is a liability. He has consistantly butchered the ball in the ressies

Reactions: 1 users

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
His Kicking was shocking at Times yesterday no way he plays seniors

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I feel like he was optimistically picked to provide some forward pressure and spark as we made a run in the back half of the year. Things haven’t worked out that way and he’s now found himself surplus to requirements.

I think he’s another example of our list managers getting ahead of themselves. We are in desperate need of key position players (front and back in particular) and there were a few prospects floating around that we could have tried out instead of Parker.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I’d hardly call McIntosh or Castagna, or even Pickett sublime by foot
Yes, but that's the problem. Dimma and the club have done brilliantly by stealing 3 premierships with a handful of A-grade champion players, surrounded by a bunch of battling role-players by creating and engineering chaos football. It caught the rest of the comp napping, unawares. So much so that it took them virtually 4 years to a) rate it as successful and not a fluke and b) find players and strategies to counter it, which include taking on many of both the attacking and defensive features that made it successful. Just look at when sides such as the Rutten/ Caracella Bummers get their forward handball going; even Colonwood did it to us yesterday! Look at the increased emphasis by virtually all sides on chasing, pressure, hard tackling and running hard off the ball/when the team is not in possession. The thing is, turnovers can kill you; smart and skillful ball-users make the difference. I hate Pendles, umpires fave, but he cut us up yesterday again, hardly wasted a disposal.

We have been absolute proof of the old adage of how a champion team will (usually) beat a team of champions. Those days are probably over with SHocking's/AFL's new rules. Sydanee are a standout example of a side who have bridged the gap to the top sides by building a really tight defence (sign of all great AFL teams IMO including Tiges), now a threatening attack. But all levered by really sharp kicking skills; this is crucial in bridging the gap

That's where the game has moved to now, love it or hate(!) it.

So I really doubt we can alter our situation with another ball-butcher. Parker is tough and hard., skilled in CB situations. He can mark it, he's a fast and agile mover, but if he just turns it over when out in space, it will just come back past him often.

PS - many on PRE and here seem to just assume he was our definite choice simply because we took him. I still think we might have aimed to take Sam Durham which those Richmond MK.II Drugsters grabbed right before us (using plenty of intel gleaned via Rutten and Caracella contacts)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yes, but that's the problem. Dimma and the club have done brilliantly by stealing 3 premierships with a handful of A-grade champion players, surrounded by a bunch of battling role-players by creating and engineering chaos football. It caught the rest of the comp napping, unawares. So much so that it took them virtually 4 years to a) rate it as successful and not a fluke and b) find players and strategies to counter it, which include taking on many of both the attacking and defensive features that made it successful. Just look at when sides such as the Rutten/ Caracella Bummers get their forward handball going; even Colonwood did it to us yesterday! Look at the increased emphasis by virtually all sides on chasing, pressure, hard tackling and running hard off the ball/when the team is not in possession. The thing is, turnovers can kill you; smart and skillful ball-users make the difference. I hate Pendles, umpires fave, but he cut us up yesterday again, hardly wasted a disposal.

We have been absolute proof of the old adage of how a champion team will (usually) beat a team of champions. Those days are probably over with SHocking's/AFL's new rules. Sydanee are a standout example of a side who have bridged the gap to the top sides by building a really tight defence (sign of all great AFL teams IMO including Tiges), now a threatening attack. But all levered by really sharp kicking skills; this is crucial in bridging the gap

That's where the game has moved to now, love it or hate(!) it.

So I really doubt we can alter our situation with another ball-butcher. Parker is tough and hard. skilled in CB situatiosn. He can mark it, he's a fast and agile mover, but if he just turns it over when out in space, it will just come back past him often.

PS - many on PRE and here seem to just assume he was our definite choice simply because we took him. I still think we may have aimed to take Sam Durham which those Richmond MKII Drugsters grabbed right before us (using plenty of intel gleaned via Rutten and Caracella contacts)

Good summation Leon.

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Should have taken Freeman. Why take this bloke and just not play hime - waste of time and money

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Maybe he is our Barometer and he can knock out flew of the Brisbane players.

If he plays i will loose count how many players will have that can't kick.
McIntosh, Pickett, Baker

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
Good luck tomorrow night Matty. Tear em a new one.

Confirmed playing tomorrow night.

Reactions: 9 users

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
a great in!
considering who we are playing .if people remember the last time we played them and how they acted towards us and a number of our players ............hello Zorko
a massive statement including him!! .and i assume he know who Zorko is

he is going to enjoy playing with his mate Marlion .game on!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Dimma and the club have done brilliantly by stealing 3 premierships with a handful of A-grade champion players, surrounded by a bunch of battling role-players by creating and engineering chaos football. It caught the rest of the comp napping, unawares.
Think that undersells us a bit. You don't steal 3 premierships in 4 years.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Happy to see him in the side. Will add some size & grunt & pace to the midfield.

One thing is certain, he will give 100% & crack in.

Also he won't take any rubbish being dished out from Robinson & that bloke from X factor or whatever it was in Rhys Masten/Mathieson

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Think that undersells us a bit. You don't steal 3 premierships in 4 years.
Yer, possibly does but I'm really paying credit to what Dimma has achieved and how his role-players have contributed. We have probably only dominated the comp in 2018 ironically, topping the ladder and beating everyone in H&A until that fateful PF. I'm not sure we would argue we definitely have had the most talented list for all those years. The impact of injuries to key players at competing clubs has to be factored in - god knows we've had our share over 19/20/21.
We won with a style of play that most of the comp could never fully negate. Perhaps 'steal' was the wrong word choice, but you need to read that post in context - see pgh 1 - and note "how a champion team will (usually) beat a team of champions."

Many in AFL media ranks believed we could/would not beat a side like the Geesooks or Port , Crows in '17. Teams that often finished higher on the ladder.