Matthew Richardson Tribute thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Richardson Tribute thread

IMO if Richo had have played in the sides that Carey, Dunstall, Franklin, J.Brown played in, we'd be talking about him without a peer.

Carey was an amazing player, but he played in a side that was constantly on or near the top, got it inside 50 sixty times a game, and he had the forward line to himself.

Richo played in a side that couldn't get out of the bottom 4 (aside from a few years, one of which he missed most of), we couldn't get it inside 50 more than 35 times most of his career, and we usually played a 3 pronged forward set up.

Yet he easily shades Carey for average marks and goals per game.

If you look at the stats for the number of times he took 15+ marks in a game, you'll find he did it over 20 times. J.Brown i think just on a dozen, Carey 3 or 4 times.

In fact you can add this stat together for most of the best key forwards of this era and they won't add up to Richo's 20+

What God gave with one hand, he took away with the other by plonking the unstoppable into a very stoppable team. AMEN

Total Tiger said:
Jeez, I saw this come up and thought the great man had died. Still miss Richo. He was the bright light in some very dim years

I immediately thought it was going to say he's had a baby boy.

Oh what he could have been under different circumstances. If I was asked which player epitomises Richmond Richo would win hands down

frickenel said:
IMO if Richo had have played in the sides that Carey, Dunstall, Franklin, J.Brown played in, we'd be talking about him without a peer.

Carey was an amazing player, but he played in a side that was constantly on or near the top, got it inside 50 sixty times a game, and he had the forward line to himself.

Richo played in a side that couldn't get out of the bottom 4 (aside from a few years, one of which he missed most of), we couldn't get it inside 50 more than 35 times most of his career, and we usually played a 3 pronged forward set up.

Yet he easily shades Carey for average marks and goals per game.

If you look at the stats for the number of times he took 15+ marks in a game, you'll find he did it over 20 times. J.Brown i think just on a dozen, Carey 3 or 4 times.

In fact you can add this stat together for most of the best key forwards of this era and they won't add up to Richo's 20+

What God gave with one hand, he took away with the other by plonking the unstoppable into a very stoppable team. AMEN

Just on Carey, you will struggle to find a bigger fan of Richo's body of work than him.
Remember an interview once where he raved about him.

2004 round 8 Richo kicked 10 against Footiscray. By the way Tigers 2004 team one of the worst Tiger teams in history despite having other notables Newman , Tuck , *smile* , Ottens , Kellaway, Campbell (Capt) , Rogers, Nathan Brown, Raines ,Foley, *smile* , Kane Johnson ,Tivendale, Hilton , Pettiffer. Team that could not gel under The Spud.

Tigaman said:
2004 round 8 Richo kicked 10 against Footiscray. By the way Tigers 2004 team one of the worst Tiger teams in history despite having other notables Newman , Tuck , schulz , Ottens , Kellaway, Campbell (Capt) , Rogers, Nathan Brown, Raines ,Foley, gaspar , Kane Johnson ,Tivendale, Hilton , Pettiffer. Team that could not gel under The Spud.
So true.Yes Richo was great.BUT.When the coach bangs on kick it to Richo,and when in doubt kick it to Richo just shows how ordinary our coaches have been for team balance.The old saying a champion team will always beat a team of champions holds true.And today if we expect Dusty,Jack,Rance to be our godsends we are kidding ourselves.

Tigaman said:
2004 round 8 Richo kicked 10 against Footiscray. By the way Tigers 2004 team one of the worst Tiger teams in history despite having other notables Newman , Tuck , schulz , Ottens , Kellaway, Campbell (Capt) , Rogers, Nathan Brown, Raines ,Foley, gaspar , Kane Johnson ,Tivendale, Hilton , Pettiffer. Team that could not gel under The Spud.

I could be wrong but i think that win made as 4-4 and then we didn't win another game for the year

gold1 said:
So true.Yes Richo was great.BUT.When the coach bangs on kick it to Richo,and when in doubt kick it to Richo just shows how ordinary our coaches have been for team balance.The old saying a champion team will always beat a team of champions holds true.And today if we expect Dusty,Jack,Rance to be our godsends we are kidding ourselves.

NAILED IT !!!

Richo. Swore at you a lot during your time. Love you to bits now. much >:D

I want to express my admiration and love for Richo, he was the reason i went to the footy during those dark days when we were struggling big time.

To see footage of the sheer emotion and jubilation of Richo when he knew we had the flag in the bag moved me just like winning the premiership did.

He wasn't jealous or envious he was just a supporter like he has been all his life, just like us, i think he will always be my all time favourite player.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Richo cried. Benny bawled. Peggy teared up.

Was there any of that emotion when the Dogs won?

Of course there was. Tony Liberatore bawled like a baby. (Not quite the same though is it.)

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Richo cried. Benny bawled. Peggy teared up.

Was there any of that emotion when the Dogs won?

Dunno about the dogs but I remember the Geelong team of the late 80s/early 90s who came runners up so many times standing at the boundary fence bawling their eyes out when Geelong finally won one

Ghost of Punt Road said:
Have a listen to the latest Talking Tigers podcast.

Richo: "I haven't had a chance to hold the cup yet"

....."Richo, you presented it"

Richo: "Oh yeah, I did too!" :rofl
Yep - very very funny.
He had genuinely forgotten about it when he was having a very minor but playful whinge about not having had a chance to hold it.

BTW - what about the bloke he mentioned meeting up in Cairns who had watched the GF Replay (was it something like?) 40 times.

Have a look at Richo when he presents the cup to Hardwick & Cotchin, he has the biggest smile. And as he starts walking down, and the cup is raise, so too are Richo' s arms. He is celebrating like the rest of us.

On the reply you only get to see Richo hand over the cup, in the film clip, its all emotion. THANK YOU RICHO. You will always be my hero.