Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Have got big doubts on Junior, if he is going to make it, it has to be as a midfielder.

Let him hunt the ball rather than the player.

Last edited:
Have got big doubts on Junior, if he is going to make it, it has to be as a midfielder.

Let his hunt the ball rather than the player.
I’d like to see him do that, but I don’t think it’s in his mindset. His first instinct is to tackle the player every single time.

Reactions: 1 user
Far too costly to be wasting valuable opportunities- which are rare and like gold in big games. Disappointed for him really

How did he return from off season was he out of condition again?

Does he get a more lenient run at the club because of who he is?

Took some nice steps in 22 and hasn't got close since then, struggled with hamstrings and hasn't bounced back similarly to Cumbo.

Still has time but does he want to do the work to get to where we all would like him to be.

Did manage a few Moju moments during the game, some o.k. some bloody ordinary. Still looks to be playing the game faster than his brain can analyse what he's doing.
Kid's got a chunky build like Cyril, Willie n Dean so will never look smooth n lean, but having said that. There's no excuse for him still having a muffin top at seasons start.

Needs to clear out the 'just tackle' advice he was brainwashed with and learn more under new coaches (i.e. find a better adviser)

Reactions: 5 users
I had high hopes for him a couple of years ago. He improved and looked like he might come on, but then went backwards at an alarming rate over 2023.

He just has no brain for football at AFL level it seems. He has some speed, some agility, but is a total deer in the headlights mentally. Can’t slow his mind down enough to make the right decisions. Two shocking frees that he gave away that you just knew he was gonna do especially the head high one. Then wrong option disposals again to team mates who were thinking “wtf”.

You add all that into a less than professional looking preparation, and it’s hard to see how he’s gonna turn this around.

Reactions: 7 users
lacks clear decision making - as Redford mentions above - he doesn't find the time to focus

he finds that time he's a footballer, and I hope he does

For some years it's been clear that Maurice's game is undeveloped. He looks uncoached. There's a new bloke at the helm.

Some simple things Maurice might be coached to do-
  • Run straight at goal.
  • Drive, don't baulk.
  • Identify the target.
  • Hit the target.
  • Use quickly.
Good coaches improve players. They coach them. Fundamentals help.

Reactions: 9 users
I think a lot of Maurice’s issue would be resolved if he just got fitter. Alas, another pre-season has come and gone and he didn’t make the most of it.

He’s talented but not enough to be as lazy as he is.

If your unfit at any level let alone AFL level everything seems faster.So you rush things.
His fault his problem.Has 6mnths too turn it around.

He does all the team things better than most even the little things like working hard to block max gawns run to stop him getting across the ground to intercept down the line in the 2nd quater. I think with fitness (assuming he ever gets it) and confidence hell be a player

I think a lot of Maurice’s issue would be resolved if he just got fitter. Alas, another pre-season has come and gone and he didn’t make the most of it.

He’s talented but not enough to be as lazy as he is.
It's a very long season ......... and I think his natural bodyshape is a bit more warthog than cheetah......

I would not be surprised if he hits peak physical shape (for him) in May/June (and the club is guiding him on this path)

I hope so..................

@caesar reports MoJu has been doing extra running since returning with a bellyful of turtle. The VFL season is still a month away. You can do a lot of running in a month. Then play first rover in the twos for another month. Then see where he's at.

Reactions: 5 users
He does all the team things better than most even the little things like working hard to block max gawns run to stop him getting across the ground to intercept down the line in the 2nd quater. I think with fitness (assuming he ever gets it) and confidence hell be a player

I was chuckling at that. Gawn was looking like he was about to swat a fly away

In the list management frame, we have no rush to exit the young player.
We saw that with Dow, with Mansell and now Steely Green, PRE's ordained breakout star of Feb.

But we gotta turn the list over! Find the next premiership team. Patience grassHopper.
Ending up this year and the next 3 years are many veterans.
Lets give all players a chance to play season 24 before we cut them from the list!

Reactions: 1 users