Mediocre Tigers Team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mediocre Tigers Team

Foonge

Mmmmm, clangers!!
Jul 3, 2003
Mt. Waverley, Melbourne
Is anybody up for putting together a mediocre Tigers outfit from the mid-80's til nowish. Just the players in their usual positions, possible who was the worst player in each position.

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I'll compile it tomorrow when the team is picked for the game against Geelong.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Need 3 or 4 teams wouldnt we.

I'll be happy as long as the following players are included: Peter Czerkaski, Chris Pym, Chris Sullivan, Robbie Powell.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Can't remember every players correct position but here we go:

B. Chris Pym Alistair Scott Todd Bremen
HB. Mark Neeld John Mrakov Peter Czerkaski
C. Wayne Hernaman Michael Roberts Jamie Elliot
HF. Kayne Pettifer Wayne Thornborrow Ashley Blurton
F. Clay Sampson Richard Lounder Todd Menegola
R. Robert Schaefer Anthony Banik John Rombotis

Int. Stephen Jurica Steven O'Dwyer Mark McQueen Robert Powell

The number of ruckman is endless... :eek:

Foonge

Mmmmm, clangers!!
Jul 3, 2003
Mt. Waverley, Melbourne
This is what I have come up with so far. I wonder how this quality side would fair against the team of 2003.

B: Lennon, Mrakov, Gwilliam.
HB: Frangalas, Laffy, Pastore.
C: B.Bower, D.Bower, N.Bower.
HF: T.Larkins, Cowie, Griffiths.
F: J.Burton, Summers, Menegola.
Foll: Esler, Eishold, Moore.
I/C: Keays, Howat, Czerkaski, Hernaman.
Em: Manfield, Leys, Lounder, McQueen.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Hey Foonge what about this team:

B: H Robyns, M Pitura, P Barlow
HB: G Hamilton, M Laffy (c), R Walker
C: J Smith, S Eishold, R Dintinosante
HF: I Herman, A Slater, A Hrysoulakis
F: D Williams, M Stockdale(vc), R Lounder
FF: J Burton, J Rombotis, C Young
Int: M Summers, S Jurica, S Fell, M Rolfe
Emerg: C Sullivan, T Menegola, M Dundas

Foonge

Mmmmm, clangers!!
Jul 3, 2003
Mt. Waverley, Melbourne
That's right, a couple of good pics of Saddo in his younger days. Still saw Simon Godfrey around there a fair bit too. Unfortunately I arrived the year after Trewella left but still got to know him. Great bloke!!
Mal Heppel is skipper there. Was on the list in 97.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Looking at those teams (and i have reached the conclusion 4 or 5 is not enough to cover the disgracefulo players we have had), it is an absolute laugh at how pathetic we were back then. Perhaps i'll be saying htat in 5 years about now but i hope not. Athos Hrysoulakis, what a midseason pick up.
A couple of other strugglers i have thought of Livingston, Steven Ryan, Damien Ryan, Ross Funcke, Simon Dennis (what a player he was).

Geez we've had some strugglers. I didnt realise jsut how bad they were until this thread. Christ how did we as supporters survive those periods.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
There's another great Tiger name Mark Trewella. Along with Brent Frewen, Matthew Manfield, Jamie Elliott and Matthew Dundas they were some forgettable recruits from Fitzroy.

Did Johnny Howat coach you?

Foonge

Mmmmm, clangers!!
Jul 3, 2003
Mt. Waverley, Melbourne
Naah, Jack left a couple of years before. Heard he was a bit of a slack ass in regard to training and drinking on Thursdays and Fridays. Andy Collins was in his second year when I played.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Leave John Howat off that list :mad:

The guy was one of the key reason we improved so much in 1994 and why we got back into the match and eventually beat bummers in the finals in 1995.

Unlike many past and present tigers, the guy was fealess to the point of being reckless, and his efforts were rewarded by others on many occassions.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Agree about Howatt RR. :mad:

The worst thing about him was the people in front of us in the red seats who always used to hold up a massive Howatt #31 flag all the time so we didn't see half of the game.

I suppose something to consider in the dud stakes is the cost of the player too.

I'd have Pettifer in a mile in front of someone like Johnny Howatt. A number 9 pick with no heart or courage at all.

To me that's a bigger sin than lack of skill.

A late pickup who fails wouldn't rate as highly as a first round pick up in the dud stakes imo.

Gotta admit I've forgotten 3/4 of the other names mentioned on this thread though.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Surely this team of a generation deserves a quality captain.

I'd like to nominate the mediocest of them all. Congrulataions Duncan Kellaway!