Who's suffered the longest? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Who's suffered the longest?

Richos_girl_

Tiger Cub
Jun 25, 2003
I'm curious, who here has been a tiger supporter for the longest?
And why did you start barracking for the tigers?

As for me, only nine years or so. And why....I ask myself that every day. only its more like why why why?!! for the love of god why?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Richos_girl_ said:
I'm curious, who here has been a tiger supporter for the longest?
And why did you start barracking for the tigers?

Probably me. Over 40 years. (Shhhhhh don't tell anyone that though R-g, ha ;D )

My Mum was a Tiger supporter and I followed suit. My daughter is a Tiger too, must be in the female genes in my family. None of the males barrack for Richmond.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
From birth in 1972. My grandmother and her brother used to be the musical entertainment at tigerland during the old pleasant sunday morning way back in 1930's, so it is in the blood.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Rosy looks like you take it, but we did have some fun in the 70's.

I think it is about 32 years for me. My Dad was a South Melbourne supporter, so I followed suit until I was about 5 or 6. Back then in the late 60's early 70's they only showed the replay at about 6.30-7.00 pm on Saturday night of three of the six games. The game of the round got the whole last quarter replayed whilst the other two games got a cameo role of about 10-15 minutes each. South Melbourne were never on the replay becasue they were crap, always at the bottom. So one night watching the replay Fitzroy won one of the minor replay games and I said, that's it I'm gonna support Fitzroy, luckily the next game on the replay and the main game was of Richmond absolutely thrashing someone(I'd like to see that again), so I quickily withdrew my previous statement and took on the Tigers. It was a good ride in the 70's and very early 80's. We were good, bloody tough side that new how to slaughter the opposition.

I now keep waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting..........

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Sounds like where I grew up in Camperdown TT.
BTV 6 and the ABC were the only two stations and both had footy replay on at the same time Saturday nights. (Black and White of course, ha)
Was tradition to watch it and have fish and chips for tea.
Ah the days of all games being played on Saturday arvo, no money hungry AFL and no rigged draws.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
I was born in 72 and attended my first game in 1978. Have been a member since 1980 and only missed 1 game in Melbourne since 1996.
Is there such a thing as "Richmond Anonymous" I need to beat this addiction!!

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
The Boss said:
I was born in 72 and attended my first game in 1978. Have been a member since 1980 and only missed 1 game in Melbourne since 1996.
Is there such a thing as "Richmond Anonymous" I need to beat this addiction!!

Bossman (aarrggh or Bossperson to be politically correct), I feel really sorry for you. I was able to live out of harms way OS ofr years in the late 80's early 90's. I was a sucker though, I had a shortwave radio and you could just manage to tune into Radio Australia to hear the match round-ups even if it was painful.

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Thanks TT, because seriously, I am addicted. I just can't miss a game, everytime we get a wedding invitation I look at the footy fixture to see if we are playing that day. If we are, I skip the ceremony and attend the reception. Why am I doing this to myself????

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
I started going to the games when I was 5 so almost 13 years I've been a tiger supporter. Not a lot of joy in those 13 years unfortunately. Oh well could be worse... I could be a carlton supporter :rollin

tigerland

Can u dig it.....SUCKA
May 12, 2003
Melb
My Dads a Collingwood supporter and my Mum and brothers Essendon.....how did i turn out so good.

I have been a tiger all my life. When i was 3 or 4 I used to love tigers, so then I started following the tigers football team Richmond and been a tiger ever since.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Early 80's. 1980 isn't that clear in my memory as I was only 7. Didn't realise the significance at that age. By 1982 I did :'(. My dad is from SA so he barracks for Port but he helped out at the Richmond Under 19's during the 80's so that's how I became a tiger. At least I had something to cheer as the Under 19 side was regularly in the finals (1985 premiers) and I saw Knighter develop as a footballer.

rosy3 said:
Ah the days of all games being played on Saturday arvo, no money hungry AFL and no rigged draws.

Just off the topic but just on what rosy brought up. IMO not having most games on Saturday has really hurt footy at the grass roots level. Seeing everyone head off on the trains and trams to the various games brought everyone together and focussed everyone's attention on the footy b/w 2-5pm Saturday. Plus you could watch the big league on Saturday and then go to the local league on a Sunday. The EPL and Serie A still have most of their games on a Saturday arvo. Sadly we no longer have the grounds to do so even if the AFL wanted to go back to say 6 Saturday games plus one Friday night and a Sunday game.

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
I Became a tiger supporter because my best friends familt was. Mum had tried to force the carlton way on me and i couldnt stand it. :-\

My first game was Richmond V Essendon, all i remember is the tiges losing. :'(

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Born in richmond thus richmond in the blood. All family tigers - very depressing household. ;D

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
Born in Richmond, now living in Nunawading.

Nunawading have lifted 3 flags since '83 - I obviously made the wrong choice.

When Beazley booted 11 against us at the Western Oval in '83, I decided to go to my first game of footy with a yellow and black scarfe around my neck - another sad decision but as an 8 yo, how was I to know!

RazorBoy

Just waitin' for the next premiership
Apr 18, 2003
Over 40 yrs for me. I was about 5 or 6 yrs old, and my dad brought home some footy badges - my 2 brothers got 1st picks - bombers and fitzroy. I got the last one left - the tigers. I had no idea about football teams at the time - we lived in country vic., but I liked the colours and the tiger, and my dad said he barracked for the tigers - so that's what started me off. In the early 60's Richmond and Fitzroy always finished last and 2nd last, so it was always the battle for the wooden spoon, and then along came Tommy Hafey!! (sigh!!). Those were the good old days - I feel sorry for all you people born after 1980, at least I had the joy of 5 premierships - even though I never got to actually be there in person. My mum took me to my 1st game when I was about 12yrs old - we came down on the train to see tigers v Melb. - Mum barracked for melb. We sat just near the Richmond cheer squad, I was rapt, and we had a big win that day. I live in Melbourne now and go to all Richmond games in Melbourne.

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
From about the ages 3-5 I barracked for Essendon, probably cause my cousin did and I didn't know any better. Then I went into a slight decline and actually barracked for Collingwood, although I was keen to change teams cause the boy next door also did. It wasn't until Grade 3 (1974) and I sat next to a girl who went on and on about Richmond and what a team they were so I told her that if they won the Premiership that year I would start following them. They did (surprise, surprise) and I have followed them ever since. I have to admit though, for a while in the late 80's-mid 90's I was a bit in the football wilderness as the media coverage up in Queensland was pretty lousy at the time.

BTW IloveNewman - I used to live in Forest Hill. Went to Nunawading High School - as did Tassie27, who has been very quiet around here of late.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Have been following Richmond since I was 5. That was 1972 and I based my decision on which team in the 1972 Grand Final had the nicest looking jumper. Fortunately, it was an easy choice as the other team was Carlton ;D. Been a Tiger ever since

Have been a member since 1982 when I saved my paperround money to buy a membership ticket.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Since 1969 I was aged 3 at the time. All my sisters (5 of them, all older) were StKilda supporters and they took me to a game and who were StKilda playing that day?? The Mighty Tigers! They all attempted to brainwash me but I would have none of that! Kevin Sheedy was also a friend of the family which helped my cause.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Hmmmm I wonder how long Laff and Diggler have been supporting the Tigers?? I read Harry's but I haven't seen their replies yet.