Melbourne Property Market | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Melbourne Property Market

What do you think will happen to Melbourne's median property price in 2012?

• Rebound (up 5% or more)

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Steady (increase 1 - 5%)

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • 'Track sideways' (no significant change)

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Continued modest decline (2 - 10 % drop)

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Crash (+10% drop)

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

TIGEREXTRA

Tiger Legend
Jun 20, 2004
Melbourne
evo said:
I've always found this graph a fairly reliable medium term predictor. If the stock on the market continues to fall in Jan and Feb I suspect we will be in for a fairly positive year.

http://www.sqmresearch.com.au/graph_stock_on_market.php?region=vic%3A%3AMelbourne&type=c&t=1

So how do I look at this graph?

If the number of property (stock) on the market lowers then that would mean house prices would slightly stay the same/improve?

If the graph keeps trending upwards then there is too much stock and not enough sellers so value's go down, is that right?

Sorry, Noob here.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
TIGEREXTRA said:
So how do I look at this graph?

If the number of property (stock) on the market lowers then that would mean house prices would slightly stay the same/improve?

If the graph keeps trending upwards then there is too much stock and not enough sellers so value's go down, is that right?

Sorry, Noob here.

Yes, if you want property to go up you want to see supply drop - ideally back to something like April 09 levels. That's when you start to see the frenzied bidding at oauctions and prices rallying 15 or 20 % in a few months as they did back then.'

It is early days but it looks to me like supply has peaked and is slowly moving down. It would be nice now to see a measured decline over the next four or five months to confirm.Anyway, something to watch if you are interested in property speculation. It is the best leading indicator that I've come accross.

I notice there was another doom and gloom article in the age today. That also leads me to suspect the worst is well behind us. Journalists always get the most pesimistically shrill at the bottom.It is the same in the stock market. I think the article was entitled something like Worst year for property since the 90s! or somethingl ike that..When you read the article it says that prices fell massive 2.9%.....ooooohhhh ooga booga, the end of the world is nigh.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
evo said:
Yes, if you want property to go up you want to see supply drop - ideally back to something like April 09 levels. That's when you start to see the frenzied bidding at oauctions and prices rallying 15 or 20 % in a few months as they did back then.'

It is early days but it looks to me like supply has peaked and is slowly moving down. It would be nice now to see a measured decline over the next four or five months to confirm.Anyway, something to watch if you are interested in property speculation. It is the best leading indicator that I've come accross.

I notice there was another doom and gloom article in the age today. That also leads me to suspect the worst is well behind us. Journalists always get the most pesimistically shrill at the bottom.It is the same in the stock market. I think the article was entitled something like Worst year for property since the 90s! or somethingl ike that..When you read the article it says that prices fell massive 2.9%.....ooooohhhh ooga booga, the end of the world is nigh.

ooga booga?? :hihi

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
It is interesting to me that the RBA again dropped rates today. Does anyone else sense that they are now getting serious about kicking a new property rally into gear?

As I've mentioned in previous posts, the 'supply' graph has traditionally been a good leading indicator of an impending rally.

http://www.sqmresearch.com.au/graph_stock_on_market.php?region=vic%3A%3AMelbourne&type=c&t=1

So far the market is still somewhat flooded. Really intrigued to see where it goes from here.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
evo said:
It is interesting to me that the RBA again dropped rates today. Does anyone else sense that they are now getting serious about kicking a new property rally into gear?

As I've mentioned in previous posts, the 'supply' graph has traditionally been a good leading indicator of an impending rally.

So far the market is still somewhat flooded. Really intrigued to see where it goes from here.

More sideways is my hunch.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
evo said:

Flooded, evo? If you're right there's only one way prices can go. Lotta properties around. Is it a flood? Lotta flats going up in my town (Brunswick). I think it was 1000 odd in a year. More on the way. I'm inclined to wait ATM.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
yes, no real rush at the minute. There a few signs of a bit of recovery but it is very tepid. Clearance rates are increasing but there is still a lot of stock available.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i bought a property a month ago in coburg. i personally think i got a bargain (although i guess most would think that).

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Ian4 said:
i bought a property a month ago in coburg. i personally think i got a bargain (although i guess most would think that).

The seller probably thought he/she did alright too or you wouldn't have been able to buy it at the sale price.

B1 and B2

Richo & The Twins
Mar 6, 2007
Ian4 said:

Welcome to the fabulous City of Moreland!

B1

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Stumbled across this old thread.

Melbourne property prices going nuts. I bought an investment property in Bonbeach 5 years ago and have just sold it.

Doubled in price. Just nuts.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:

Melbourne property prices going nuts. I bought an investment property in Bonbeach 5 years ago and have just sold it.

wow, good get Tim. 5 years ago was the sweet spot, and it's hard to see a whole lot more growth in the short to medium term, so you have pretty much optimized the *smile* out of it. It is nuts, here in Bris is semi-nuts, Melb is nuts, Sydney is rocking back and forth in a straight jacket nuts.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
tigersnake said:
wow, good get Tim. 5 years ago was the sweet spot, and it's hard to see a whole lot more growth in the short to medium term, so you have pretty much optimized the sh!t out of it. It is nuts, here in Bris is semi-nuts, Melb is nuts, Sydney is rocking back and forth in a straight jacket nuts.

Yeah, in fact the value of the house barely did anything for the first 2 years so most of the growth occurred from 2014-2017.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
tigertim said:

Yeah I did similar about 8 years ago, grabbed a few bayside and they've all doubled or at least 70% growth.

The entire Frankston line has gone nuts over that time.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
SCOOP said:
Yeah I did similar about 8 years ago, grabbed a few bayside and they've all doubled or at least 70% growth.

Yep, can barely get in under $1m in Bonbeach and Carrum to a lesser extent. Seaford high 800's/900's and Frankston in the 700's.

ThePercies

Tiger Superstar
Apr 8, 2007
Bendigo
Ian4 said:

You still got this one, Ian4 ?

Interesting to see how much coburg has risen in the last 4 years?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Hopefully a government will have the balls to do something about the obscene benefits afforded to investment property buyers.

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
MD Jazz said:
Hopefully a government will have the balls to do something about the obscene benefits afforded to investment property buyers.
Why obscene benefits are you referring to?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
MD Jazz said:

agree. Negative gearing is dumb. Everyone with a brain knows it. The Libs won't do anything though because their powerbase benefit.

I don't blame people for doing it, I've done it, but its dumb law. At the very least it has to be wound back. Every dry economist says so.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
SCOOP said:

as Tim said, most or all of that 70% happened in the last 3.5 years. I bought my place in '11. Prices went down for two years before they spiked. 28% in 6 years, but if I'd bought 2 years later it would have been 45% in 3.5 years. Not as spectacular as bayside Melb, but good. I'm not whinging though.

big spike in 2000-03, crab sideways or slightly up until 2013, then another big spike. I think Tim you nailed the timing.