Melbourne Publiic Transport Infrastructure | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Melbourne Publiic Transport Infrastructure

poppa x said:
The problem is we are always playing catch up with both road and rail.
We need to build a system that will still be good in 50 years time with a doubling of our population.
Get ahead of the game and stop doing patchwork quilts.

Governments have stopped leading on these projects. Mass transit is not a money spinner so if government won't do it, it won't get done. But government doesn't exist to run at a profit, it exists to provide services for its citizens, especially those services that can't/won't be provided by private enterprise.

1eyedtiger said:
5 - Hoddle St converted to FWY linking Eastern Fwy to City link tunnels

i've always thought hoddle street/punt road should be an elevated road (similar to the westgate freeway southbank section) with occasional on/off ramps that links to a service road underneath. the service road then allows you to turn off at the major intersections (victoria pde, wellington pde, swan st, etc).

poppa x said:
The problem is we are always playing catch up with both road and rail.
We need to build a system that will still be good in 50 years time with a doubling of our population.
Get ahead of the game and stop doing patchwork quilts.

and this is what scares me. you think public transport is bad now with a population approaching 4.5 million? if its not fixed now, imagine how bad it will be in 2050 if our population reached 8 million as projected?

So now Labor are back in, any chance of this blasted Doncaster Rail being built before I peg out?

As semi related aside, is anyone else familiar with this whole 'Uber' private cab phenomena?

I was thinking about driving for them part time, but it seems the taxi industry have kicked up a stink and drivers are being given $1700 fines.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/about-50-uber-drivers-have-been-fined-1700-in-crackdown-by-the-taxi-services-commission/story-fni0fit3-1226910856247

It kinda sucks, every one I've spoken to who have used their services wouldnt go back to using cabs.

Thats regulation for you,I suppose.

evo said:
As semi related aside, is anyone else familiar with this whole 'Uber' private cab phenomena?

I was thinking about driving for them part time, but it seems the taxi industry have kicked up a stink and drivers are being given $1700 fines.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/about-50-uber-drivers-have-been-fined-1700-in-crackdown-by-the-taxi-services-commission/story-fni0fit3-1226910856247

It kinda sucks, every one I've spoken to who have used their services wouldnt go back to using cabs.

Thats regulation for you,I suppose.

use 'em all the time. %50-80 of a cab fare, and its pre paid. Taxis in Aus is a corrupt, closed shop. 10% e-transaction charge? get stuffed, who else gets away with that crap? (Its a sweetheart deal between some cab overlord and NSW ALP apparently, ie. 'legal corruption') . Even forgetting that rort, you pay a premium for crap service, dirty cabs, drivers who ask you how to get there...its insane. ANYTHING that gives Aus taxis a royal roost up the arse is fine by me

tigersnake said:
use 'em all the time. %50-80 of a cab fare, and its pre paid. Taxis in Aus is a corrupt, closed shop. 10% e-transaction charge? get stuffed, who else gets away with that crap? (Its a sweetheart deal between some cab overlord and NSW ALP apparently, ie. 'legal corruption') . Even forgetting that rort, you pay a premium for crap service, dirty cabs, drivers who ask you how to get there...its insane. ANYTHING that gives Aus taxis a royal roost up the arse is fine by me
good man.

Next time you take one ask the driver how high the risk is of getting one of these fines. I'm pretty keen to do it, but it really seems like a legal grey area at the moment.

agree re the taxi 'service.' fels was supposed to overhaul the industry but there has been no improvement.

evo said:
good man.

Next time you take one ask the driver how high the risk is of getting one of these fines. I'm pretty keen to do it, but it really seems like a legal grey area at the moment.

Just read this, its relevant. Uber is one big grey area. The drivers I've had have all been relaxed though, I don't actually order or pay though, my girlfriend does, she swears by them too.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/comment/blunt-instrument/uber-vs-the-cab-industry--theyre-taking-us-all-for-a-ride-20141201-11xn1m.html

tigersnake said:
Just read this, its relevant. Uber is one big grey area. The drivers I've had have all been relaxed though, I don't actually order or pay though, my girlfriend does, she swears by them too.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/comment/blunt-instrument/uber-vs-the-cab-industry--theyre-taking-us-all-for-a-ride-20141201-11xn1m.html
cheers.

It certainly seems very popular with the public.

Ian4 said:
agree re the taxi 'service.' fels was supposed to overhaul the industry but there has been no improvement.

Any time I heard him speak about it he was quite forthright but it required government to act on his recommendations, so far, nada.