Melbourne Publiic Transport Infrastructure | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Melbourne Publiic Transport Infrastructure

Napthine saying that he wants to start work on the metro rail tunnel before the end of the decade. I guess this is good news, but I'm cynical about it. He knows the public wants this built and he's just trying to get a few votes. Knowing, him his intended start date is probably December 2019

KnightersRevenge said:
I see Dr Napthine is dangling the Melbourne Airport train to try to push popular opinion towards his Pt Melbourne brain fart. Given that the two are not mutually exclusive it will be interesting to see how they argue that the airport link is "only" possible if he is allowed to scupper the Swantson St section.

Aaaah just fantastic. He's actually come out and said it. Monorail.

"Well Sir, there's nothing on earth like a genuine, bonafide, electrified, six car monorail"....................

i'm not against a monorail. its a much chaper option - assuming the $1 billion price tag is accurate, which it probably isn't. i'll also bare my bum in bourke st if this proposed monorail will get you from the airport to the city in 8-10 mins. :rofl

but i do find it interesting that napthine is talking about public transport all of a sudden... probably because recent surveys suggest that the people want rail infrastructure prioritised over the east-west road tunnel.

Ian4 said:
i'm not against a monorail. its a much chaper option - assuming the $1 billion price tag is accurate, which it probably isn't. i'll also bare my bum in bourke st if this proposed monorail will get you from the airport to the city in 8-10 mins. :rofl

but i do find it interesting that napthine is talking about public transport all of a sudden... probably because recent surveys suggest that the people want rail infrastructure prioritised over the east-west road tunnel.

But will it stop the Libs from pressing forward with 'the tunnel'?

Unfortunately it isn't looking like it, even a little bit.

so now napthine has promised a rail link to the airport? call me a cynic, but i won't believe it til i see it. i still think the metro rail tunnel should be built first... at the end of the day, the airport rail link via the albion corridor will create a massive rail gridlock at sunshine. but there is no doubt the airport rail link will get more votes than the tunnel.

Ian4 said:
so now napthine has promised a rail link to the airport? call me a cynic, but i won't believe it til i see it. i still think the metro rail tunnel should be built first... at the end of the day, the airport rail link via the albion corridor will create a massive rail gridlock at sunshine. but there is no doubt the airport rail link will get more votes than the tunnel.
Yep, certainly will believe it when I see.

Ian4 said:
Melbourne Rail Link. Pathetic!!! :rofl

I suppose Fishermans Bend would be the station for Port, St Kilda and South suburbanites, but, they could've stuck with Parkville which has hospitals and businesses around.

13935354038_98451bb706_c.jpg

on taking a closer look, its not as bad as i first thought. i like the fact that most of the rail lines will run across town (werribee/williamstown-sandringham, frankston-lilydale/belgrave and cranbourne/pakenham-sunbury/airport). runnng them across town means you can run more trains due to the fact that they will continue on from the city instad of having to run them back in the direction they came from.

but there are also many flaws... and i have listed them below:
- from frankston: train will not stop at flinders st anymore.
- from frankston: you will have to change at south yarra to get to richmond/MCG.
- from frankston: you will have to stop at domain, fishermans bend and southern cross before going thru the loop.
- from lilydale/belgrave: train will not stop at flinders st anymore.
- from cranbourne/pakenham: train will not go thru the loop anymore.
- from sunbury/airport: train will not go thru the loop anymore.
- to/from glen waverley: train will not stop at southern cross or go thru the loop anymore.
- from werribee/williamstown: they have already stopped going through the loop on weekdays, but will now also include weekends.
- from sandringham: they have already stopped going through the loop on weekdays, but will now also include weekends.

frankston line travellers are the biggest losers for mine.

Ian4 said:
rail-link-620x349.jpg

on taking a closer look, its not as bad as i first thought. i like the fact that most of the rail lines will run across town (werribee/williamstown-sandringham, frankston-lilydale/belgrave and cranbourne/pakenham-sunbury/airport). runnng them across town means you can run more trains because due to the fact that you don't need to turn them around. but there are also many flaws... and i have listed them below:
- from frankston: train will not stop at flinders st anymore.
- from frankston: you will have to change at south yarra to get to richmond/MCG.
- from frankston: you will have to stop at domain, fishermans bend and southern cross before going thru the loop.
- from lilydale/belgrave: train will not stop at flinders st anymore.
- from cranbourne/pakenham: train will not go thru the loop anymore.
- from sunbury/airport: train will not go thru the loop anymore.
- to/from glen waverley: train will not stop at southern cross or go thru the loop anymore.
- from werribee/williamstown: they have already stopped going through the loop on weekdays, but will now also include weekends.
- from sandringham: they have already stopped going through the loop on weekdays, but will now also include weekends.

frankston line travellers are the biggest losers for mine.
Frankston line travellers already have to get off at Richmond to catch a loop train.

tigertim said:
Frankston line travellers already have to get off at Richmond to catch a loop train.

well the frankston train wont be stopping at richmond at all under this plan.

Ian4 said:
well the frankston train wont be stopping at richmond at all under this plan.

Where did you get this info from Ian, wouldn't mind having a look.

As our state governments are still deluded enough to think our city's more 'beautiful' than Sydney, they now go and draw up a mini-version of their rail network (or maybe The Tube in London....wow!!) to stooge voters that our 19th century rail line is gunna be so modern!!

What a laugh. As Bin said, too many flaws. Only 1 or 2 cross-overs which still have to go through the city.

Why couldn't Bolte/Hamer just extend the underground loop towards the inner suburbs instead of spending nearly a whole decade to build a small one under the CBD?

Tommo37 said:
Where did you get this info from Ian, wouldn't mind having a look.

Just Google 'Melbourne rail link' and you'll find numerous articles on it. But just to explain... once complete, the Frankston train will run along its normal route to South yarra. From south yarra it diverts to the new stations at domain and Montague (bypassing Richmond and Flinders St), then onto southern cross, into the loop, then onto lilydale/Belgrave.

And it runs in reverse if you wanna go to Frankston. So the train will never stop at Flinders St.

Interesting last couple of pages.

It's obvious that the government (and more to the point the ALP with the melb metro tunnel) were trying to change the rail network from a "main line" system into the mass transit style system which is readily available in all the big European cities. To do this they have to do a few things.

One is to uncouple each of the lines from each other. Spencer St and the like were built for steam trains, and no government has really done anything to change that, ever.
The next is they need to remove the trackside signalling equipment and move to communications based\train bourne signalling systems (so that they can get more trains into the same amount of space).
Lastly they need to get rid of all of the level crossings. The problem with level crossings is, in some places in the state, if they ran the timetable that they would like to run (2-3 minutes between trains, similiar to the mass transit models in Europe) the level crossings would be permanently closed prevent road users from crossing the railway.

If any are interested, look up CBTC and ERTMS (level 2). These are the types of systems modern cities have. Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and others are moving towards these systems, even Auckland has given up its hobby railway and started the move to this. Melbourne is languishing soooo far behind. If politicians want to keep Melbourne as the worlds most liveable city, they need to start moving now.

the new govt's public transport plans will be very interesting. yes 50 level crossing removals will help, but only $300m for the metro rail tunnel committed so far. will be interesting to see if the new govt brings back the metro rail tunnel under its original design or looks at alternate options... lets remember the LNP said that building a tunnel under swanston st will cut the city in half for 2 years.

Ian4 said:
the new govt's public transport plans will be very interesting. yes 50 level crossing removals will help, but only $300m for the metro rail tunnel committed so far. will be interesting to see if the new govt brings back the metro rail tunnel under its original design or looks at alternate options... lets remember the LNP said that building a tunnel under swanston st will cut the city in half for 2 years.

Actually the 1.3 billion the Fed government was for the metro tunnel before our infrastructure PM decided to build a tunnel and roads, it was listed as a priority before this East/West tunnel.

If I had my way, this is part of what would happen:

1 - Mega car parks built on the outskirts of the CBD. Enough to handle twice the number vehicles that current car parks do. Also built to enable future expansion.
2 - Rapid transit built between the car parks to the CBD.
3 - Ban all motorized transport within the CBD expect taxis, delivery vans/trucks / trades that need to be there, emergency services and private transport for those that require it (hospital patients, etc)
4 - East West link to be built but maybe differently to reduce costs.
5 - Hoddle St converted to FWY linking Eastern Fwy to City link tunnels

This would effectively reduce the traffic on freeways to only those that are traveling across the city, not in or out of it. My thoughts are that most of the congestion of freeways is caused by those trying to get into the city clogging up the off ramps and backing up onto the freeways proper.

The car parks would be setup in such a way so that as a car enters, it is allocated the nearest available spot (displayed in car on E-tag style device). Automatic bollards could prevent unauthorized parking. The idea is to funnel traffic into their spots as efficiently as possible and get people onto the car park - CBD transit system.

Maybe I'm wrong, or dreaming, or delusional, or it is simply not feasible but the continuing approach of band aid patches and half assed efforts is simply wasting money. In 10 - 20 years time, they'll be bitching over the same issues all over again (And blaming each other like usual). There needs to be a change in approach.

The problem is we are always playing catch up with both road and rail.
We need to build a system that will still be good in 50 years time with a doubling of our population.
Get ahead of the game and stop doing patchwork quilts.