midfield depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

midfield depth

Crumpet_Avenger

Tiger Rookie
Feb 9, 2010
melb
good to see in the massive list of midfielders discussed everyone has mentioned Hislop...

22 year old rookie who is no good should of been either an 18 year old kid who may of improved or a 22-27 year old ruck or KPP.

I hope we arent going to start playing favorites...

look wheres its got ponting with doherty.
WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Fair enough dog. I reckon he improved in all those areas as the season progressed.

Tango

Tiger Champion
Oct 6, 2004
Macau
why all the anxst now about lack of KPP, didnt this get discussed 2 drafts ago when everyone said we were ok?

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Tango said:
why all the anxst now about lack of KPP, didnt this get discussed 2 drafts ago when everyone said we were ok?

Collingwood seem to do alright without a lot of depth in this area as well. The Pies have an army of running players across the ground. I think Dimma is heading in the same direction myself.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Tango said:
I don't think it's angst about the lack of KPP , it's more that the ones we have have a largely unproven when compared with many of the midfielders.

We have quite a few who are yet to really prove themselves i.e Astbury , Gourdis , Grimes , Post , Griffiths , Rance , Westhof and even Vickery who Dimma seems to want to play KPF. We need 3-4 of them to step up and become good players I think is the point that was being made.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Inspector said:
Deledio Martin Grigg Cotchin Edwards Houli Connors Morton Tuck Nason Jackson Foley Conca White Hicks Contin Weberley Helbig good mix there of speed inside & outside players.

I'm not a darksider but fair dinkum, is anyone seriously satisfied with this lot? Of Grigg, Houli, Connors, Morton, Nason, White, Hicks, Contin and Webberly, none could demand a spot in the starting line-up all year in 2010.

Neither Deledio nor Edwards have been comfortable as centre square midfielders so far in their careers.

Martin and Cotchin are promising but neither has arrived. Conca and Helbig haven't played a game yet - could be JONs for all we really know.

I like Tuck and Jackons but both have obvious deficiencies. Foley is the one true midfielder in the list but his body is a worry.

Don't want to sound negative, but I think we have to be realistic - our midfield is NOWHERE NEAR where it has to be at this level. Every AFL team could match that list and more.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Tigerblood said:
I'm not a darksider but fair dinkum, is anyone seriously satisfied with this lot? Of Grigg, Houli, Connors, Morton, Nason, White, Hicks, Contin and Webberly, none could demand a spot in the starting line-up all year in 2010.

Neither Deledio nor Edwards have been comfortable as centre square midfielders so far in their careers.

Martin and Cotchin are promising but neither has arrived. Conca and Helbig haven't played a game yet - could be JONs for all we really know.

I like Tuck and Jackons but both have obvious deficiencies. Foley is the one true midfielder in the list but his body is a worry.

Don't want to sound negative, but I think we have to be realistic - our midfield is NOWHERE NEAR where it has to be at this level. Every AFL team could match that list and more.

:hihi and you say you're not a darksider!

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
[Don't want to sound negative, but I think we have to be realistic - our midfield is NOWHERE NEAR where it has to be at this level. Every AFL team could match that list and more.
[/quote]

The Bummers and Eagles midfield depth as good as ours please explain?

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
MB78 said:
[Don't want to sound negative, but I think we have to be realistic - our midfield is NOWHERE NEAR where it has to be at this level. Every AFL team could match that list and more.

The Bummers and Eagles midfield depth as good as ours please explain?

Well, an Essendon supporter would point out that they finished above us on the ladder, and an Eagles supporter would point to the likes of Kerr, Priddis and Natanui in any midfield comparison. But really, if we even have to get into an argument with 2 of the 3 worst sides about the relative merits of our midfields, then my point is made- we aint anywhere near where we need to be yet.

Tango

Tiger Champion
Oct 6, 2004
Macau
1. martin dominated in his first season
2. cotchin is pure class when fit - word is he is fit
3. foley is a class mid when fit - word is he is fit
4. grigg has performed well at AFL std in a strong midfield at CFC
5. Houli has great skills and can find the ball
6. edwards is developing as a mid and has good awareness and evasive skills
7. morton showed good promise as a mid and has great skills
8. jackson provides grunt and hardness - lacks class and skill
9. conca is a very promising very skilled mid
10. Newman is a skilled running player
11. Lids is a gun outside playmaker

all of the above can run through the middle or play on a flank and i would say that group is easy in the top half of midfield strength in the comp.

3 tall backs, 3 tall fwds and a ruck = 18

tuck, nason, white, contin, helbig, dea, webberley, others are all depth players with the challenge of breaking into the squad.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Tigerblood said:

Deledio won 2 B&F's and an AA nomination (as a 21 year old) as a midfielder.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
evo said:
He is one of our most promising players I reckon Dawg. Surprised you pot him of all people.

He couldnt hit the side of a bus in the last part of the season and when it doesnt work he looks so damn lazy. He hasnt had a string of full pre-seasons under his belt so hopefully it was just tiredness.

doherz

Tiger Superstar
Apr 24, 2004
Tigerland
www.informtech.com.au
Tigerblood said:

nothing false about what you say,but at least we have options. a key ingredien to all good teams.

doherz

Tiger Superstar
Apr 24, 2004
Tigerland
www.informtech.com.au
Tango said:
1. martin dominated in his first season
2. cotchin is pure class when fit - word is he is fit
3. foley is a class mid when fit - word is he is fit
4. grigg has performed well at AFL std in a strong midfield at CFC
5. Houli has great skills and can find the ball
6. edwards is developing as a mid and has good awareness and evasive skills
7. morton showed good promise as a mid and has great skills
8. jackson provides grunt and hardness - lacks class and skill
9. conca is a very promising very skilled mid
10. Newman is a skilled running player
11. Lids is a gun outside playmaker

all of the above can run through the middle or play on a flank and i would say that group is easy in the top half of midfield strength in the comp.

3 tall backs, 3 tall fwds and a ruck = 18

tuck, nason, white, contin, helbig, dea, webberley, others are all depth players with the challenge of breaking into the squad.

spot on

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Disco08 said:
Deledio won 2 B&F's and an AA nomination (as a 21 year old) as a midfielder.

I said centre square midfielder. Look, I think Deledio is an awesome player, but his awesomeness has been established everywhere but in the centre square. We are getting into semantics here, but I don't count him as a great midfielder, I count him as a great playmaker off the backline.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
doherz said:

What I don't like is the rush to hyperbole. Did Martin really "dominate"? Yes, he was very good for a first year player, but he didn't get a single Brownlow vote and only got 20 possesions every other game. Good for a newbie but let's not call it dominating at this stage.

The fact that the second player on Tango's list already has a qualifier on him ("when fit") goes to the heart of my point- yes, we obviously have some good midfield players, but so does every single team in this comp. If your no 2 is already doubtful then you can't claim to be in the upper echelon of this comp.

Feb 25, 2007
Tigerblood said:
What I don't like is the rush to hyperbole. Did Martin really "dominate"? Yes, he was very good for a first year player, but he didn't get a single Brownlow vote and only got 20 possesions every other game. Good for a newbie but let's not call it dominating at this stage.

Serious Tigerblood what r u on, u say Martin didnt dominate look if it wasn't for martin getting reported and then being ineligible for the NAB rising star award i think we all know he would've won it and what the? he didn't get a brownlow vote for some one who polled 6, brilliant id say for a first year player...
For an 18 yr in his first year gee he was a clearance machine and racking up an ave 20 possies against seasoned midfielders in the guts mind u...

CLUB-by-club votes from the 2010 AFL Brownlow medal count.

Brett Deledio, Jack Riewoldt 7
*Dustin Martin 6
Shane Tuck 4
Daniel Connors, Chris Newman 3
*Trent Cotchin, Ben Cousins, *Daniel Jackson 2
Mitch Morton 1

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brownlow-medal-votes-club-by-club/story-fn422eni-1225927054838

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Tigerblood said:
I said centre square midfielder. Look, I think Deledio is an awesome player, but his awesomeness has been established everywhere but in the centre square. We are getting into semantics here, but I don't count him as a great midfielder, I count him as a great playmaker off the backline.

Apart from starting 2008 up forward, he lined up in the centre square almost every time during those two years

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Jason King said:
He couldnt hit the side of a bus in the last part of the season and when it doesnt work he looks so damn lazy. He hasnt had a string of full pre-seasons under his belt so hopefully it was just tiredness.
I like Dan mainly because he has one great quality for a running player ,he knows how to get the ball . He is just one of those players who seems to be where the ball is more than others .

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Sintiger said:
I like Dan mainly because he has one great quality for a running player ,he knows how to get the ball . He is just one of those players who seems to be where the ball is more than others .

He does get a heap of it, but gee, he has to improve his usage.