Midfield rebuild 2021-22-23 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield rebuild 2021-22-23

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Let’s get this straight. What we’re talking about here is a midfield rebuild.

We don’t need a seven year wilderness trek.

Gibcus, Balta, Colina, Ryan, Biggie, Miller, Soldo, Lynch, Nankervis.

We’re OK for talls at the moment.

We definitely know we’re ok for running flankers.

What we need is a roster of gut running mids. Good in traffic, young and can run four quarters out.

Bolton is the central pillar, the silk.

See if Dow, RCD, Stack can play in there.

Get games and fitness into Sonsie, Brown, Clarke.

Pick up another top 10 in the ND and grab the best mid.

Pick up a strong-bodied free agent.

Rinse and repeat 2023.

Back into finals contention in 2024 with the same manic energy and freshness we had in 2017.

The club have played this dip brilliantly. Gibcus was the lynchpin. Miller, Biggie, Ryan and Mate all showing signs.

The talls will be coming on as the mids slide in.

Another two years out of the finals is the price but at this point it’s better than a 10+ year obliteration a la North, Carlton, Essendon.

The list is a little top heavy but will be pruned further. We look good.

What matters is whether Dimma and co. can modify our tactical platform to deal with stand and 666.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
In Benny and Blair we have excellent strategic planners. We could not stay up forever, no one can. We're not starting from scratch.

Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
This is how I see it too.

Assuming we miss finals, we take our top 10 pick and take the best mid. Trade Norths pick for Tanner Bruhn (I've loved his midfield work, we can promise him a lot more midfield time than almost any other team).

Look to get Hopper over from the Giants in 2023, as well as another top pick.

Suddenly in 2024, our midfield is Bolton, Hopper, Sonsie, Bruhn, Clarke, Dow, Graham, Ross, RCD?, Stack? Top 10 draftee? Maybe even Prestia is still going around.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

What we need is a roster of gut running mids. Good in traffic, young and can run four quarters out.

Rinse and repeat 2023.

Back into finals contention in 2024 with the same manic energy and freshness we had in 2017.

The club have played this dip brilliantly. Gibcus was the lynchpin. Miller, Biggie, Ryan and Mate all showing signs.

Another two years out of the finals is the price but at this point it’s better than a 10+ year obliteration a la North, Carlton, Essendon.

What matters is whether Dimma and co. can modify our tactical platform to deal with stand and 666.
Send this info to the club coz they seem to have NFI!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012

Rinse and repeat 2023.

I was hanging out for your rebuild thread!

The 2022 premiership is as good as ours!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I think its about time we started to raid the GWS cupboard thats full of goodies

Green , Bruhn , Stone , Callaghan ,

If we had the above 4 players on our list i could see another 10-15 years at the top
all these kids are beast's in the midfield and all have foward traits

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Young = <24

young AAA mids - Bolton

young bluechip A mids - Baker

young good ordinary mids - graham

young likely mids - Dow, Sonsie

(forget RCD and Ross)

yes, we need to take 3 genuine mids for the next 3 years and grab a couple of FA's at Taranto quality

Last edited:

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
2022 IN Taranto paddy Dow , Brayshaw
2023 Tom green or Noah Anderson or both
2024 Elijah Holland’s

• Haha

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Our midfield was cooked after half time. No run and slow. Warner burnt us. We need an injection of quality and speed.

Reactions: 4 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Personally think this could be a quick rebuild if the club can get ruthless.

Martin is the one that can make it happen. Would we be open to a trade which would net us 2 first rounders possibly meaning another 2 midfielders of Gibcus' quality??

Cotch, Lambert, Edwards and Jack all need to be retired.

RCD, Ross, Martyn, Cumberland need to be moved on.

Kmac to be traded.

Ppl will say it will kill the culture and fabric of the club if we move on so many of our stars in one hit. I dont agree. If there is one thing i have faith in with this club atm is that we no longer draft DHeads. We can continue the culture we have but with a young vibrant midfield that can run out games for 4 qtrs. Needs to be done

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Our midfield needs a major rebuild. It’s a bottom 4 midfield. Make no mistake we are getting smashed and do not have the cattle to match it. Once a Cotchin or a Prestia go out we are done.

Sonsie just needs to keep playing. It’s mind boggling it’s taken this long for him to make his debut.

But after Sonsie who else is there?

Reactions: 5 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Our midfield needs a major rebuild. It’s a bottom 4 midfield. Make no mistake we are getting smashed and do not have the cattle to match it. Once a Cotchin or a Prestia go out we are done.

Sonsie just needs to keep playing. It’s mind boggling it’s taken this long for him to make his debut.

But after Sonsie who else is there?
Can only be addressed at season’s end. In the meantime, I’d play Ross as an inside midfielder just to see if there’s any chance of him making it. Surely Baker has to roll through there more frequently. Stack can even go in occasionally once he gets back in:

Reactions: 1 users

Pandaboy

Tiger Superstar
Mar 27, 2009
Even if we were open to trading Dusty he aint anywhere near 2 first rounders. A late first rounder plus a swap of picks is the most realistic scenario..... we really dont have much to trade to get us into the top 10 draft bracket, i think people are overstating his worth at this stage of his career.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Some questions on these players future come end of season.
Just questions. All will have different answers but they are pertinent questions.

Soldo
Short
Graham
Ross
Dow
RCD
Martyn

Martin
Cotchin
Lambert
Edwards