Trust | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trust

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I got a call from the club around two weeks ago.

"Mate, you're a longstanding member, but we notice you haven't attended a game this year. What's up?"

I've been considering making this post since I got that call. Now is the right time.

There are some aspects to the way our boys play that *smile* me to tears.

I hate the unnecessary 50m penalties given away through petulant behaviour (looking at you, Shai).

I hate the often-lopsided free kick count that generally occurs because we think we can play the game on our own terms.

I hate the ridiculous brain farts that result in stupid suspensions (hello Nicky V).

I hate the inability to close out games and protect match-winning leads (Carlton R1, Sydney R11, Geelong R13).

And, yes, the AFL plays its part with boneheaded 50m penalty interpretations, stupid ticketing stipulations, tribunal inconsistency and non-sensical rule changes.

I was chatting to a neighbour of mine today, a dyed-in-the-wool Tiger like me. He also hasn't attended a game this year. I told him I would never have missed a game like yesterday's (day time, MCG, good weather) in previous years.

We agreed that watching Richmond in 2022 is a very frustrating experience.

Trust is hard won but easily lost.

I don't like feeling this way.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
All that crap annoys all of us. But they are our "family" if you want to be all syrupy, so you front up week after week and defend us to the hilt against any outsider.

Reactions: 8 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I think we got away with the free-kick discrepancy in past years because we were just too good. One theory is that we were harder and deliberately intimidatory. Fair enough.

But we're not that side any more. When are we going to wise up? On skill alone, we're good enough to contend. We have to get so much smarter.

Going to the footy should be fun, not frustrating.

Reactions: 3 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I think we got away with the free-kick discrepancy in past years because we were just too good. One theory is that we were harder and deliberately intimidatory. Fair enough.

But we're not that side any more. When are we going to wise up? On skill alone, we're good enough to contend. We have to get so much smarter.

Going to the footy should be fun, not frustrating.
I am also losing interest. I tell myself it’s the rule changes and inconsistencies but I have to ask myself if maybe 37 years of frustrating was enough and I’ve been spoiled the last 5.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
All that crap annoys all of us. But they are our "family" if you want to be all syrupy, so you front up week after week and defend us to the hilt against any outsider.

Agree. My interest in the game overall has dropped massively since COVID, but I'll always front up to watch Richmond.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Couple of things for context.

I joined as a member in 1989 as a 19 year old. I've seen it all—the good times and the bad. I've seen us get buried at Kardinia Park, the Western Oval, VFL Park and everywhere in between. I was there when Geelong started their run in 2007 (and stayed until the bitter end); I attended the so-called Mothers' Day Massacre; I watched North and the Blues overrun us in elimination finals we should never have lost; I saw, first hand, Ablett Snr, Dunstall and Lockett tear us apart; I was there when we won the whole darn thing in 2017 and 2019; before that, the second semi final in 1995 was my greatest day at the footy.

I went to a handful of games last season, more out of habit I think. I had an epiphany at the St Kilda game, which was a horrible night at the footy. It was cold, the useless ticketing had people sitting next to each other as the community was still trying to socially distance, and the footy was awful.

Perhaps I feel I've done my bit? Dunno. Never thought things would turn out this way.

The trust thing is my best effort at explaining what is probably a confluence of problematic events.

But my frustration around trust is that it's totally controllable ... if our players and coaches choose to own the problem.

Reactions: 9 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Couple of things for context.

I joined as a member in 1989 as a 19 year old. I've seen it all—the good times and the bad. I've seen us get buried at Kardinia Park, the Western Oval, VFL Park and everywhere in between. I was there when Geelong started their run in 2007 (and stayed until the bitter end); I attended the so-called Mothers' Day Massacre; I watched North and the Blues overrun us in elimination finals we should never have lost; I saw, first hand, Ablett Snr, Dunstall and Lockett tear us apart; I was there when we won the whole darn thing in 2017 and 2019; before that, the second semi final in 1995 was my greatest day at the footy.

I went to a handful of games last season, more out of habit I think. I had an epiphany at the St Kilda game, which was a horrible night at the footy. It was cold, the useless ticketing had people sitting next to each other as the community was still trying to socially distance, and the footy was awful.

Perhaps I feel I've done my bit? Dunno. Never thought things would turn out this way.

The trust thing is my best effort at explaining what is probably a confluence of problematic events.

But my frustration around trust is that it's totally controllable ... if our players and coaches choose to own the problem.
I have all 4 family members all signed up members.
Like you I was at the mcg the night was lost to Brisbane to get the wooden spoon in 89.
I've seen 1 win at kardania Park under Wallace and 100 slapping in between.
I was at Adelaide oval when Bickey Broke kellways noise, I was at the Adelaide oval when blight walked the boundary, I was at the SCG when Chris Bond destroyed Richo, I was at the Gabba when *smile* kicked 7 and I also went to the 17 & 19 GFs
But since the GF of 2019 I have gone to 1 game. The Sydney game at the G last year.
Not interested on going any more.
I've done the hard yards over 40 years.

Reactions: 4 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Agree. My interest in the game overall has dropped massively since COVID, but I'll always front up to watch Richmond.
Anything else in your life adversely impacted by covid? Or just interest in footy?
Covid has shaken the foundations of so.many parts of our existence.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Reckon getting to games has generally been harder work because we got used to not going over covid. It's also a pretty damn expensive day out these days.
That said I still go to every game because I love it for the family time & mate-ship above all else. Attending live games is just the framework for that & I've realised it even more since we climbed the mountain back in 2017.

Reactions: 7 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane

Agree. I'm bursting at the seams to get to Metricon on Saturday. My kids are in the guard of honour. They can't wait.

We have come back to the pack from the 2017 to 2020 years but we are still in every game. We are in this season up to our eyeballs and the boys need our support to push them along.

Reactions: 15 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Anything else in your life adversely impacted by covid? Or just interest in footy?
Covid has shaken the foundations of so.many parts of our existence.

Reflecting, I think I picked up other interests in COVID that haven't dropped off as we make our way back to normality which has contributed to a lessened interest in footy.

Reactions: 1 user

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
If you are in a high risk group, as many of us are, the vaccines only work to a point.
COVID is as bad now as it was in the lockdown. The choice to go to the game has been taken away from many people. Lining up for a pee or pie at half time is a COVID Petrie dish. Not to mention the clown who sits behind you and screams coughingly all over your neck. Social distancing forgotten.
I don’t understand the ticketing system at all.
One thing though, the 2017 final has to be the finest day ever. Dusty, Jack, the Killers…. Wowee!
At sub 10 degrees, and 65 years, it is better for me to save my 100-150 bucks for travel etc and sit beside the fire. That way if Razor Ray upsets me too much I can watch another episode from Netflix.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
If you are in a high risk group, as many of us are, the vaccines only work to a point.
COVID is as bad now as it was in the lockdown. The choice to go to the game has been taken away from many people. Lining up for a pee or pie at half time is a COVID Petrie dish. Not to mention the clown who sits behind you and screams coughingly all over your neck. Social distancing forgotten.
I don’t understand the ticketing system at all.
One thing though, the 2017 final has to be the finest day ever. Dusty, Jack, the Killers…. Wowee!
At sub 10 degrees, and 65 years, it is better for me to save my 100-150 bucks for travel etc and sit beside the fire. That way if Razor Ray upsets me too much I can watch another episode from Netflix.
I didn't even think about covid.
I've stopped going purely because of the rules and the standard of umpiring against us.
Like you said it's easier switching channel, then driving 45 mins to get home

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Agree. I'm bursting at the seams to get to Metricon on Saturday. My kids are in the guard of honour. They can't wait.

We have come back to the pack from the 2017 to 2020 years but we are still in every game. We are in this season up to our eyeballs and the boys need our support to push them along.
My family and I are going too Bris, but I'm not quite as excited.

I can see why going to the footy and watching has lost the appeal for many. The game is in poor shape. It is expensive. Umpires are inebriated circus clowns. Rules are made up on the back of beer coasters at the end of year drink fest. Ticketek is an abomination - I'm fairly certain that Ticketek is actually a chicken in a cage that pecks random seating allocations in return for seeds. The MRP is overseen and panelled by numpties who are either confused, inept, or on the take. The Footy media are so constant, ever-present, loud and obnoxious, they induce spouting bouts of diarrhea and vomiting.

And to top it all off we have the Master of Ceremonies, Gillon McLachlan, the emperor without clothes. Unaccountable, uninspiring, untouchable, unconcerned, unlikeable.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
My family and I are going too Bris, but I'm not quite as excited.

I can see why going to the footy and watching has lost the appeal for many. The game is in poor shape. It is expensive. Umpires are inebriated circus clowns. Rules are made up on the back of beer coasters at the end of year drink fest. Ticketek is an abomination - I'm fairly certain that Ticketek is actually a chicken in a cage that pecks random seating allocations in return for seeds. The MRP is overseen and panelled by numpties who are either confused, inept, or on the take. The Footy media are so constant, ever-present, loud and obnoxious, they induce spouting bouts of diarrhea and vomiting.

And to top it all off we have the Master of Ceremonies, Gillon McLachlan, the emperor without clothes. Unaccountable, uninspiring, untouchable, unconcerned, unlikeable.

Gold!

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I think I've seen one game this year but I'm not even sure that's how dis-interested I've been. Just back from a month overseas. Saw one game live missed most others. Never would have happened in the past. For me it's the rule changes and also just the hassle of attending. You cant really rock up anymore. So few areas are general admission despite grounds being 25% full. The game is more a product than ever. The integrity of the sport( ie the best team wins, level playing field, etc) is basically an afterthought if it is a though at all. The game has been sucked at for every commercial opportunity and then the head honchos are surprised when the supporters dont turn up. I was energised yesterday, downloaded my Richmond Official app and plan to see our last few Melbourne games. It's more out of obligation and loyalty rather than the pure enjoyment and excitement it once was. Cant blame the players (of all clubs). They are still great athletes and there are some sublime skills on display on occasion. It's just that the rules and rule makers are not worthy of them.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think I've seen one game this year but I'm not even sure that's how dis-interested I've been. Just back from a month overseas. Saw one game live missed most others. Never would have happened in the past. For me it's the rule changes and also just the hassle of attending. You cant really rock up anymore. So few areas are general admission despite grounds being 25% full. The game is more a product than ever. The integrity of the sport( ie the best team wins, level playing field, etc) is basically an afterthought if it is a though at all. The game has been sucked at for every commercial opportunity and then the head honchos are surprised when the supporters dont turn up. I was energised yesterday, downloaded my Richmond Official app and plan to see our last few Melbourne games. It's more out of obligation and loyalty rather than the pure enjoyment and excitement it once was. Cant blame the players (of all clubs). They are still great athletes and there are some sublime skills on display on occasion. It's just that the rules and rule makers are not worthy of them.

The rules, yes, a big problem.

But also the seating for GA is a particular issue. You sit there high above the ground after climbing hundreds of stairs, and what do you see? Great swathes of empty seats below. That really pisses people off and the response is to not bother next time.

DS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
The rules, yes, a big problem.

But also the seating for GA is a particular issue. You sit there high above the ground after climbing hundreds of stairs, and what do you see? Great swathes of empty seats below. That really pisses people off and the response is to not bother next time.

DS
Artificially constraining supply / price fixing is borderline illegal depending on the situation with massive fines and potential jail time.

AFL treats it fans as vehicles to monetise vs long term advocates and the grass roots of the sport. Will reap what it sows.

Must be some key metrics missing or getting gamed at the top.

I used to passionately try and convert every non AFL supporter into a Richmond one. Taken lots of yanks to the g. No way I would do that now. When this happens in 1000s of different ways E.g. a parent choosing Auskick or another sport it will massively hurt the sport in a decade.