Mighty tigers vs the mighty bombers 95 Game Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mighty tigers vs the mighty bombers 95 Game Thread

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I never enjoyed a game like the 95 preliminary final.
Giving shiitt to those cooky flks after the shitt we copped at half time was the best.
We beat them on and off the ground

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Was the brownlow favourite playing?
Campbell the Houdini
Disappeared in more big games then Clinton King

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
The Geelong final in 2019 was my best win ever.
I was sure we were gone at half time, then wham bam thank you mam and we are in the Grannie.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Sitting back and watching that game last night really showed how far behind we really were from winning a flag.
Essendon lost O'Conner and Young early in the game.
Turner Ko'd ODonnell and the number 29.
Besides about 15 minutes in the last qtr we were awful
We kept kicking it straight back to them. Hird was unbelievable.
We couldn't take a mark to save ourselves.
Losing Maxfield to Sydney was a huge loss
Personally i would move that game out of my top 10 wins.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Watching that game I noticed the serial diver, even at age 17 was honing his diving skills.

Reactions: 1 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
90% of the tackles that day would be free kicks.
You are quite right. This was a tough rough game, and the sort of AFL game I grew up with.

A different game today. Poor old Benny Gale had a shocker. Would have been his worst game ever.

How about some of those bumps and tackles. As Zipps said, most would be frees today. Plus the scragging after a player took a mark...50 metres today.

Those were the days of mainly long kicks, with not a lot of short passes either. Good to watch and we won!!

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
some observations.
- they say modern footy has never been quicker, but this game was exceedingly quick.
- for 25 years everyone was talking about Matty Kights. But Turner, Daffy, Rogers, Naish and Tape were all stars.
- I didn't know Dear, Howat and Charles played. And Barry Young for Essendon.
- as @graystar1 said, Lloyd was already a cheat at age 17.
- I was sitting in L2 in the ponsford that day. they were still wooden seats in those days.

Last edited:

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Northey was terrific. Moves of Turner and Daffy into midfield won it for us.
I remember being overseas and playing cricket at the HKCC on that day, and getting reports while fielding as the second half progressed.
None of it really expected if I am honest, but a few rounds on the bar after we came off.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Northey was terrific. Moves of Turner and Daffy into midfield won it for us.
I remember being overseas and playing cricket at the HKCC on that day, and getting reports while fielding as the second half progressed.
None of it really expected if I am honest, but a few rounds on the bar after we came off.

And then we swapped coaches - that was insane.

DS

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
some observations.
- they say modern footy has never been quicker, but this game was exceedingly quick.
- for 25 years everyone was talking about Matty Kights. But Turner, Daffy, Rogers, Naish and Tape were all stars.
- I didn't know Dear, Howat and Charles played. And Barry Young for Essendon.
- as @graystar1 said, Lloyd was already a cheat at age 17.
- I was sitting in L2 in the ponsford that day. they were still wooden seats in those days.
Geez those seats were painful.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
And then we swapped coaches - that was insane.

DS
Bloody Sheedy again. As I recall Northey was contracted for 1996 but felt he'd earned an extension as he'd taken us to the finals for the first time since 1995; playing an exciting brand of footy. But of course the shadow of Sheedy loomed large and typical of RFC management at the time we wanted to keep our powder dry in case Sheedy became available at the end of 1996. Northey cracked the *smile* and took the longer term more lucrative offer from Brisbane who had just cut ties with Walls.

Northey coached the Bears into another PF in 1996 and we appointed the noted Richmond hater Walls and reverted to the maligned 9th position once again. All the momentum gained from the fantastic 1995 season was gone and once again we were back in the wastelands.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Cant believe I didnt go to this game but went to the North and Geelong finals :rolleyes: