Miller: Phrenology Key to Recruitment Success | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Miller: Phrenology Key to Recruitment Success

Tiger in a Tube

Richmond Redeemer
Sep 11, 2003
www.puntroad.com
With the pre-season drafts all but complete, Greg Miller has revealed the strategy behind the targeting of Nathan Brown, Dean Solomon and Robert Coupland. Guided by the 18th century French science of Phrenology, Miller was able to gather valuable insights into the character, playing ability, likes and dislikes of all potential players by looking at the topology of their skulls.

"Look, there's a shedload of data and metrics associated with recruitment these days. Vertical leap, skin fold tests, psychometrics, biometrics. spine measurements, medicals, Myers-Briggs tests. . . .Picking a kid from the draft. . .well it's a bloody big investment and we wanted to make sure that we don't *smile* it up again. Lots of the kids we're looking at haven't even hit puberty and we are being asked to pick them on the basis of a few minutes with a ruler, a stopwatch and a clipboard. For me, and the football department, phrenology is a deadset revelation. It cuts through all that bio-babble and tells it like it is. We wouldn't have gone for young Alex Gilmour (pick #21) except for a broad Decision sphere that runs from his eye socket to his temple. Very impressive it was, up there with Matty Knights."

"Nathan Brown's got a long nose. That's apparently a good thing so when we saw the results back from the Nuremberg Uni's Phrenology Unit and showed them to Danny Frawley, he gave us the green light to go ahead and get Browny."

Adrian von Braacht of Nuremberg University was bought into consult on the project."Look, yeah I was pleased that the Tigers have decided to get involved with Phrenology. They've shown real leadership. Phrenology has copped a lot of negative press, mostly from people who's eyes are too close together. If you look at some of the games' great players, you'll see that they've all got a head and eyes where they should be.

However, anti-phrenologists such as William Dampier of the University of Utrecht feel clubs shouldn't rely too much on the ancient science. "Look, just because a bloke has got a broad forehead or a cyst someplace strange, doesn't mean he's going to be a great player. I'd be far more interested in whether the kid can kick the ball, not whether he's got a square jaw. If phrenology is supposed to measure success at footy, then will someone please explain Mickey Martin or Paul Barnard to me?"

Reports have been coming in of young men who are so desperate to play for the Tigers that they are taking blunt instruments to their heads or engaging in full contact violence with each other in order to get bumps in the right places.

No club official was available to comment on rumours of another Dark Ages science, Alchemy, being utilised to assist with the Tigers current troublesome financial situation.

sabretooth

I don't sleep for a week when we get beat - JD
Dec 9, 2003
Ah, Tina T, great stuff!

Come to think of it, there's a couple of Pies I wouldn't mind taking to with a large wooden mallet and some Port Powerless types as well.

Mickey Martin and Paul Barnard - what a hoot!

bg25

God must love stupid people, he made so many!
Oct 3, 2003
What can I say T ina T - as they say in the mastercard ad priceless.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Tiger in a Tube said:
Phrenology has copped a lot of negative press, mostly from people who's eyes are too close together.

:D What a great line. I have always been worried about people without a good 4-5 cms between their eyes. :D

Tiger in a Tube

Richmond Redeemer
Sep 11, 2003
www.puntroad.com
thanks folks.

We've been quiet at puntroad.com over the summer. Cricket and the fortunes of the mighty Gunners taking up most of my attention. :0 ;D

will ramp it up come Feb. . .or maybe March.

brodders

groovy baby , YYEEAAAHHH
Nov 14, 2003
melbourne
wanna see eyes too close together

ANDY RODDICK u.s.a tennis player

& tosspot

i have absolutely no doubt that he is a
collingwood supporter

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Great post TinaT! ;D A reply In the tradition of JohnF..... ROTFLMAOWDVBANSAD
Translation: Rolling on the floor laughing my arse off while drinking VB and not spilling a drop. ;D