Miller pulls out of race (Herald-Sun website) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Miller pulls out of race (Herald-Sun website)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
02 August 2003 AFL
By MICHAEL HORAN
Herald-Sun website

RICHMOND director of football Greg Miller has ruled himself out of contention to replace Andrew Demetriou as the AFL's football operations manager.

Miller, who spent 17 highly successful years with the Kangaroos at Arden St – the last eight as chief executive – said yesterday as much as he would love the challenge of the job, he had made a firm commitment to Punt Rd and he would remain there.

"I would have been very keen a couple of years ago. I would have fancied a crack at it," Miller said yesterday.

"But I've only been at Richmond eight months and I've made a commitment to the club. It would be wrong to walk away from that.

"Had I not taken this job, I'd probably be very interested.

"But you can't make a commitment to people and ask them to follow you, then turn around and go. It's not right.

"As much as I might have fancied it, I'm not in for it."

There will be no shortage of candidates for the estimated $400,000-a-year AFL post.

Demetriou suggested Collingwood chief executive Greg Swann and West Coast counterpart Trevor Nisbett as prime candidates, while former Brisbane general manager and current director of football in Sydney, Andrew Ireland, has also been touted as a potential replacement.

The AFL has a full two months find a replacement for Demetriou, who takes over from Wayne Jackson on Grand Final day.

Good work Greg Miller, your loyalty makes me an even bigger fan. Yo uare good for us at punt Road. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing what eventuates come trade and draft time.