Miller's continual comments | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Miller's continual comments

Kafer

go tiges!
Jun 15, 2003
East Bentleigh
Okay, obviously they are serious about this years trade period, but how serious....

Does anyone have any idea who will be our bait?

for mine I think we could see the back of a Joel Bowden, it could have been Tivva but he is playing too welll so far (thank god!)

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Kafer I think there will be very few who will be safe during the trade period. I am not saying that they will all be traded, but I am pretty sure if the right offer is no the table it would be considered.

We are definitely going to have to trade a 'few' so called name players to get what we need.

It will require some astute negotiation, I just hope the club is up to the task.

As to who we will proactively seek to trade I have no idea.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Miller was questioned about Joel on the radio on Saturday.

From memory (I hope I get this right) he was surprised with the slackness of Joel's training pre season.
He said that Joel has lifted a lot in that department.
He didn't give Joel a glowing report though.

He said the club has certainly let Joel know about aspects of his football that just aren't acceptable and that he has been instructed to improve.

I got the feeling that Joel isn't viewed through "rosy" coloured glasses by Greg Miller.

As to who will be trade bait I suppose it will depend on who's available from other clubs.

Other clubs will all have individual needs and we'll have to offer a player that suits them in order to get a top player back from them.

I hope it isn't Otto though. A friend bought me his signed playing jumper as a present recently and it will be priceless when Otto is the first Tiger Brownlow winner in the modern era. ;D

gdbarrett

Some more New-men please.
Jun 18, 2003
Albury
My "name" candidates are:
Bowden - Popular choice with the fans and Miller.
Ottens (Sorry Rosy - he will attract some real intrest from other clubs and may be over-rated)
Gaspar - We need to make some room in our TPP. Perhaps to West Coast to replace a retired McIntosh.

Wish list:
Judd for Gaspar and our first draft pick. (or whatever it takes)

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
To trade Gaspar would be very difficult with his current contract and would probably mean we would be paying a substantial contribution for the next 4 years ala DAFFY.

Not only that he is now damaged property with his season ending knee injury.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
out side of about 10 players i dont care who we trade as long as we trade for early draft picks NOT recycled players ive said it before lets go backwards & build a dynasty from the bottom up :p

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
We will have to trade for very high draft picks as the draft is supposed to be potentially a bit thin this year.

If that is the case we can still trade but have to target those with a lot of years of footy in them.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Greg Miller email response to an email i sent him. We will be aggressive come trade time, should get my excitement back up and give me some renewed hope.

>"11 July 2003
>
>Chris Shaw
>[email protected]
>
>Dear Chris
>
>Apologies for the delay in responding to your correspondence. Following the
>Club's recent defeats, the football department received around many, many
>letters and emails.
>
>Thank you for your kind words. I can assure you I am every bit as keen and
>committed as I was at the Kangaroos. I appreciate the opportunity to serve
>this great Club.
>
>I reckon we have made good inroads this year even if the results don't show
>it. We have got the foundations right; better people in their right
>positions.
>
>We now need to add to the exciting players you have mentioned. Depth will
>make a difference. Class will also help.
>
>Stay tuned Shawry, we will be aggressive in the draft.
>
>Yours sincerely
>
>Greg Miller
>Director of Football"

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
Trade Ottens . and is there any chance of delisting Greg Miller or trading him back to the Hammerheads for someone like Quany? :)

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
jackstar said:
Trade Ottens . and is there any chance of delisting Greg Miller or trading him back to the Hammerheads for someone like Quany? :)

Greg Miller is going to be the force behind our resurgence. You can't expect everything to happen in one pre season. Last year, although we got Kane and Blumfield, we did more work off the field getting something we haven't had in 2 decades at the club. A thing called stability.

You watch Miller this summer. We'll see that he's actually worth his weight in gold. Aren't you sick of quick fixes that don't work? It is probably the most promising it's been in years down there at moment. But i doubt you'd understand that, especially if you know the hammerheads players names......

P

PuntRoadRoar

Expect these names at the end of season draft:

Delisted:

Biddiscombe
King
McGrath
Mills

this will be 4 picks taken in the draft

Cameron will retire, that's our 5 picks gone in the draft

Tradeable:

Hall 2nd/3rd round pick
Houlihan 2nd/3rd
Hilton 2nd/3rd
Rogers 2nd/3rd

Trade Bait (Will be kept if cant be traded):

Bowden 1st round pick
Zantuck 1st / 2nd round
Tivendale 1st round (i know this one will shock alot)
Ottens Swap & 1st round pick (only if he wants to go home, otherwise will be retained)

Next years crunch list with question marks:

Vardy (improvement required)
Hyde (ditto)
Nicholls (ditto)
Sipthorp (development)
Fleming (form)
Draga (form)
Fiora (development / form)
D.Kellaway (injuries)
Pettifer (development / form)

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I think its good that Miller is reforming the football department and setting the future direction of recruitng and the playing list but shouldn't Frawley as Head Coach be doing this?

Frawley is well into his 4th season as coach yet the club felt it necessary to bring in outside help to hold his hand and actually set the football department on the right track. To me this speaks volumes of Danny Frawley's inability to do his job properly.

I can't think of another club especially a successful club like Brisbane, Port, Essendon or even Collingwood where someone other than the head coach is setting the future direction of the football department.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Well said PRR,

The only one I think is a bit iffy is Marty McGrath. At least wait and see if he can get a crack at senior levels. he might suprise us.

Secondly, if his delisting is freed up, then lets chuck pettifer on that list. ;D

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
PRR,

There is no way clubs are going to want Houlihan and Rogers, let alone for 2nd or 3rd round draft pick!!

You can add a few more names to your delist column and another to the retirement column also. While your at it, the tradeable list & tradebait list can also be extended further by 10 players.

Changes will take place but there will still be blokes on teh list at the end of the year who shouldn't be there. But the fact is you can't make all the changes in 1 year, it is a 2-3 year process. Expect around 10 new faces next season.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
I think it is entirely appropriate for the Director of Football to reform the football department. And how can you be sure that Danny hasn't had significant input into the current structure?

I'll happily stand corrected but I doubt that Malthouse, Sheedy and Matthews restructured entire football departments in their first stint as a senior coach.

IMO, for some the need to bring Frawley down and criticise his every move and attribute every negative aspect of the team to him has become an obsession.